IP Camera mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP Camera mounting

I am getting together the things I will need to install cameras at the new house

I am running CAT6 to the cameras but am trying to find a good electrical box to use to mount in the soffit of the house in order to mount the dome cameras

What electrical box is best to use. An open back is best so any extra wires and connections can be put up inside the soffit.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

IP Camera mounting

It depends on what cameras your getting some dome cams have a mount that will allow you to put wires in there and avoid need for electrical box. I've seen others that use the round and square electrical work box. Both have holes on the side and top to Pull/Push wires through. The round and box shaped one also cone without a back, entire back is open, so that you have complete access in the back. Problem is you would need to make a equivalent size hole in your sofit. I personally would make the smallest hole I could because if and when you do upgrade cams, the hole may not be right for the new cam.

Sent from my iPhone
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I have 2 Hikvision mini dome cameras that are mounted flush on the siding. They both have wiring pigtails long enough to reach through the exterior wall of the house and I have the connections completely hidden behind crown molding.

I have used a 2" hole saw multiple times in crown molding to allow for pulling wires. You just pop the cutout back in the hole on a small wooden batten. Spackle and paint and it's invisible.

Of course that may not help for you, but you can certainly mount these flush without a box.
      cheeryfool

Comment

I was thinking of mounting an octagon electrical box in the roof overhang soffit and mount the camera to that. I am just not sure if the camera will mount to an electrical octagon box

I plan to use the Hikvision DS-2CD2132 dome cameras
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

I used these:
          http://www.amazon.com/VideoPUP-Hikvi...ilpage_o03_s00

A bit extra but worth it for a clean install
          DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
          BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

I used an angled mount to get a more horizontal view rather than a "top down" view since the camera could not be rotated to 90 degrees within the dome mount. It depends on how high your soffits are, the type of lens you plan to use and what you need to see. It gives a solid mount, 1 " hole needed for the wires. They fit perfectly with Hikvision dome cameras and also with Dahua.

http://www.amazon.com/HIFROM-DS-1259...ilpage_o03_s00

Comment

I picked up some nice aluminum heavy duty boxes at Canadian Tire. They have four threaded plastic plugs on the sides and one on the back. Nice for routing cables and the excess just stores inside. I drilled the cover to suit mounting the cameras and mounted the boxes under my eaves. Waterproof too.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/le...l#.VySsUTEl_z4
              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thanks
                Trying to determine the best thing to use for in the soffits of the roof overhang
                Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

I think I am going to use these because they will fit perfectly with the screws on a rectangle electrical box

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZZ4CZV8/...SIN=B00ZZ4CZV8

I assume I only need 1 CAT6 to each camera, correct?
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

Yes, 1 Cat 6.
                    Just curious are you going the pc or nvr route?
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                      I think I am going to use these because they will fit perfectly with the screws on a rectangle electrical box

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZZ4CZV8/...SIN=B00ZZ4CZV8

Blade the connection will depend in what cameras you are using if they are PoE then you will only need one CAT6 cable if they are not you will need to get power to that location as well

Cheers Ken
                      HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

I would use a POE camera. All of my outside cameras are POE, only need the Ethernet cable to the outside. Any decent cameras should have this option.

Comment

Go with PoE, so only 1 Cat 6 for video and power.

Some of the nicer cameras also have connections for an external microphone and speaker.
                          Two way audio might be a nice security feature at some locations.

They usually also have a connection for an external trigger to start recording but I haven't found this necessary using Blue Iris motion detection or line crossing.
                          DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

I am thinking of going the NVR route
                            Cheers,
                            Bob

Comment

I am thinking of going the NVR route

At my other home I had PC with software and it worked great, but since I was gonna be away from there, I wanted a highly reliable system and not have to worry about software or Windows issues so went with a with a Dahua system and its been great. Should have made the move earlier.

Only issue for me is integration with HS( not big), but with your mad skillz you'll probably be able to integrate hkvision with HS......BLVision j/k

Sent from my iPhone
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X