Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the "Voice Command" parameter for events of any use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the "Voice Command" parameter for events of any use?

I just saw this when creating a new event

... but does not have any effect, even after synching GH.
    Is this of any use for Google Home?
    Would it ever be ?
    Attached Files
    Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    I just saw this when creating a new event

... but does not have any effect, even after synching GH.
    Is this of any use for Google Home?
    Would it ever be ?
    Don't know about Google Home as I haven't looked at it but it creates scenes in Alexa when you discover devices.

Comment

You need to fill in this field AND, under "Options" for your event also tick the box called "Include as Voice Command". Once this is done, after syncing my devices with Google Home, I was able to see the event showing up as a scene. I can ask Google Home to execute it with "Run <whatever text you put into voice command>". It picks it up, but nothing happens on Homeseer side, apart of JSON error.

Same behavior is described in the long "Sticky" thread in this forum. See here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...&postcount=245

Alex
      Last edited by alex131; May 14, 2018, 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Comment

Thank you Alex, I will stick with IFTT.

Comment

I find IFTTT to be slow and instead set a virtual device on/off and put a voice command to that. The Virtual Device triggers the event. I just find it simplified to keep as much local as possible and stay off the internet as much as possible. The event can turn the virtual device back to Off as well, making it ready for the next run. OR you set it on to run an event to turn things on and Off to run the opposite event.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

IFTT works almost instant for me. I've set some basic Google Assistant commands to know important info such as "what is the hot water temperature" - once you ask this, it would trigger an event and Google Home will respond back, with Homeseer Voice - using Chromecast plugin. BUT - I'd still like to see the possibility of "native" event (or scenes in this case) triggering from Google Assistant. Especially when Homeseer promo video on Youtube covers this scenario.

Comment

Yes. The use of a Virtual Device is a workaround from what is a current issue hopefully fixed soon. I get the same JSON Error trying to Run and event from Google Home. We should to look to see if that is listed in the Issue Tracker so it gets fixed.

I have also used a Google Home Shortcut to set these. For instance, "Open the garage door." sets a virtual device to On which triggers my garage door event which turns on and then off a contact closure and also resets the virtual device. I also set "Open the Pod Bay Door." to open the garage as well, just because I sometimes want to say that... Eventually I will just set the Event to run off a voice command.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I bought HS3 for the GH integration among other things. It will be fair to me and many others if HomeSeer looks into this and fixes it asap.

Yes, the technique of triggering an event by using an associated device is well known but requires a dedicated device for each event and is cumbersome.

Comment

It is now working

Hi all,

Looks like the "native" event (or scene, as per Google) running is now working. I've added a couple events, specified the "voice command" and checked the "Include as Voice Command" option in the event options. Synced with Google Home, and it works! You activate the event by saying "Run <your voice command>. No more need for the Virtual Devices to activate events!

Comment

Yes but not good enough for me ...

I just tried to launch an event as stated above, and it works!

Too bad:
                    - You have to say "Run" before your command.("Lance" in french )

- You cannot change the way GH will respond ("OK I will run <event name>").
                    I will stick with IFTT for now...

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                      I just tried to launch an event as stated above, and it works!

Too bad:
                      - You have to say "Run" before your command.("Lance" in french )

- You cannot change the way GH will respond ("OK I will run <event name>").
                      I will stick with IFTT for now...

Well, you can actually

Create a routine in your Google Home app with whatever you want to say to trigger your Homeseer event. Then tap "Add action", "Choose popular actions" and scroll down to "Say something". Here you can specify your custom response.
                      Add a second popular action namely "Adjust media volume" with level 0.
                      Third popular action "Adjust scenes" with your voice enabled Homeseer event(s).
                      Last popular action "Adjust media volume" again with your default volume level.

It's a bit of a workaround but it works great!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                        Well, you can actually

Create a routine in your Google Home app with whatever you want to say to trigger your Homeseer event. Then tap "Add action", "Choose popular actions" and scroll down to "Say something". Here you can specify your custom response.
                        Add a second popular action namely "Adjust media volume" with level 0.
                        Third popular action "Adjust scenes" with your voice enabled Homeseer event(s).
                        Last popular action "Adjust media volume" again with your default volume level.

It's a bit of a workaround but it works great!
                        Thanks Dutch. This is nice to know. I'm going to use it.

Comment

Working...
                        X