Unusual Com port error on Z-Stick...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Com port error on Z-Stick...

I have been having trouble with my Way2Call Hi-Phone and while debugging, I powered it off and unplugged the USB connection (while HS3 was still up). A couple seconds later I received errors about my SmartStick+:

5/17/2018 11:34:18 AM,Warning,Hi-Phone disconnected from the USB, attempting to re-connect
    5/17/2018 11:36:02 AM,Z-Wave Warning,SmartStick+: Exception(2) with COM port (COM11): The port is closed.
    5/17/2018 11:36:02 AM,Z-Wave Warning,SmartStick+: Cannot configure COM port COM11, will attempt an open.

I restarted HS3 and all (seems) good now, but it makes me wonder what if any relationship my Way2Call might have with my SmartStick? Any thoughts as to what may have caused this?

Thanks
    Gary

In Z-Wave.ini
    [Interfaces]
    IFace_0_Name=SmartStick+
    IFace_0_Unique=BC93AFBFEEF2
    IFace_0_IsMain=True
    IFace_0_HomeID=FC-10-06-5A
    IFace_0_Node=1
    IFace_0_Model=4
    IFace_0_COMPort=COM11
    IFace_0_EthernetIP=192.168.0.xxx
    IFace_0_EthernetPort=23
    IFace_0_Disabled=False
    IFace_0_ZNETName=Auto

Current Date/Time: 5/17/2018 1:56:27 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.423
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 2 Hours 18 Minutes 18 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.83
    Number of Devices: 260
    Number of Events: 72
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 0
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.54.0: BLOnkyo
    2.18.0.3: MCSSPRINKLERSP
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.6551.16959: UltraGCIR3
    3.0.0.40: X10
    3.0.1.206: Z-Wave

Thinking it is just a leftover in vivo ghost port thing.

You can probably shut down Homeseer 3 and reboot the computer with both the ZWave stick and W2C box plugged in and all will return to normal.

The Way2Call USB device is fussy. It will go off line sometimes for no reason. Historically I would shut down Homeseer and then reset the W2C box with the diagnostic utility to get it to work again.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Thinking it is just a leftover in vivo ghost port thing. You can probably shut down Homeseer 3 and reboot the computer with both the ZWave stick and W2C box plugged in and all will return to normal.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. I believe all is good now. I did discover a 4/port edgeport that had a defective (intermittent) port that was (also) assigned to Com 11. It appears that the Edgeport port was not active/working when I first installed my SmartStick and Com 11 was assigned to Z-Wave. For some unknown reason during all this drama, the Edgeport Com 11 started working and created havoc with Z-Wave. Ended up going into the Edgeport config utility and reassigning that port to a different Com number.

The Way2Call USB device is fussy. It will go off line sometimes for no reason. Historically I would shut down Homeseer and then reset the W2C box with the diagnostic utility to get it to work again.
      Where do I get the diagnostic utility? Yes, I agree on W2C being fussy. I am now on my 4th (used) W2C box. One was DOA, another created off-hook conditions every 3 minutes, #3 worked well for a couple years, until just recently when, after several calls, it would lock up my VOIP phone line. I could power it down and back up and it would take off again, but it was a hard condition to recognize, so I put #4 into production. So far so good, but I don't know for how long. I guess I am going to have to break down and buy one new. Don't understand why they are so da*ned expensive.

Thanks for the feedback Pete, your views are always greatly appreciated.

Gary

Comment

The utilities / diagnostics come with the Way2Call drivers located here:

Way2call Computer Telephony Device Driver Dowloads

Here still using original Way2Call boxes (over 10 years old now). I have never updated firmware and power them up externally.

Using the Way2Call boxes with copper and Ooma VOIP lines and external modem cellular line. (modem = Ericsson W.25)

Related to Digi Edgeports here still using a few 8 port Edgeports (over 10 years old).

Note newest Digi Edgeport drivers auto magically update the Digi firmware when install newest Digi drivers in Windows only.

Attached is a Way2Call test application which is more granular than the stock diagnostics package. This allows for many adjustments.

Yes the WAY2Call boxes are way expensive. Here purchased them used / refurbished in the early 2000's.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; May 20, 2018, 08:58 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Note newest Digi Edgeport drivers auto magically update the Digi firmware when install newest Digi drivers in Windows only.
          I did not know this. I went to the digi web site, and it seems the only version reference I could find was to V5.70. Looking in the Device Manager, it shows I have 5.70.105.0 installed. Wonder if that is the latest? If you don't mind, could you tell me which version you have installed (although, you may not have a windows box come to think of it.) I have no idea what version firmware my 3 have. All of them are old, so unless my drivers are (behind the scenes) updating the firmware, it would be at least 10 years old.

Attached is a Way2Call test application which is more granular than the stock diagnostics package. This allows for many adjustments.
          Got it! Thanks much. Greatly appreciated! I will give it a try on all my Way2Call's and see what it says. Even the dead ones.

Yes the WAY2Call boxes are way expensive. Here purchased them used / refurbished in the early 2000's.
          Yeah, I been buying them used off eBay when I can find them under about $75. Then again, I haven't had much luck keeping them going either. Wish somebody could repair them.

Thanks again,
          Gary

Comment

The Digi driver autoloads and updates the firmware if need be.

This is what I see.

[ATTACH]68913[/ATTACH]

Here have a couple of the Digi Edgeports with customized firmware that I have never seen before. They do function fine only that the com ports come up in pairs versus seeing all 8 at once.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Interesting! That looks very different than mine. I am W10, 1709, w/64 bit edgeport drivers. I don't even have the same tabs (Version, Advanced) on the properties that you show. Have any idea how you got "customized firmware"? Perhaps because your manufacturer is Inside Out, not Digi?

Gary

Comment

Yeah you can see the Digi Edgeport manager under programs on Windows 10.

The Digi manager is installed with the drivers.

Will give it a go here on my Windows 10 VB running on my laptop.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeah you can see the Digi Edgeport manager under programs on Windows 10.

The Digi manager is installed with the drivers.

Will give it a go here on my Windows 10 VB running on my laptop.
                  Ok, now I think I am on the same page with you. I was using the Windows Device Manager, not the Edgeport Config Utility. Our firmware (Download Code Version) is the same (1.18.12), but your edgeser.sys has a different name than mine (edgeser64.sys). In any case, it does look like my drivers are updating the edgeport firmware, just like you (and the Digi FAQ) says they do. Thanks for helping me better understand my devices.
                  Gary

Comment

Yes you have the 64 bit drivers and the same firmware.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                    X