This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Controllers

Is there a way to have more than 1 controller in a group? As in a simple 3-way lighting setup.

Originally posted by andyf View Post
    Is there a way to have more than 1 controller in a group? As in a simple 3-way lighting setup.
    Insteon switches can link multiple switches natively. Pull up the manual for the switch and it will have the instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, but then HS3 wouldn't be aware of the state of the switches and I'd be unable to trigger on state changes.
      I currently have 2 groups, with each switch as a controller of it's own group.

But thank you for responding.

Comment

Yes, but then HS3 wouldn't be aware of the state of the switches and I'd be unable to trigger on state changes.
        I currently have 2 groups, with each switch as a controller of it's own group.

But thank you for responding.
        I don't know know why that's the case... Insteon should send status/state immediately to the Homeseer if a link exists in the switch, to Homeseer. You need to cross link everything.

I currently use ISY and that's how it works there... All switches are both controllers and receivers for each other and linked to the ISY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am an ex-ISY user from about 1 month ago. The MS Insteon plug-in only allows you to add 1 device as a controller to a group.

But I think I'm getting the gist of what you are saying. Make a group with one switch as a controller via HS3, then natively link the other switch to it.

Comment

just create a second group with the second controller to the same switches. you can included the other controller in the group as well
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks, that's the way I have it now. I know group status doesn't really mean anything but in the Device Management page it always shows 1 group as on and the other as off, depending on which switch you used to turn on the light and which switch was used to turn it off.

This would be a great feature request to allow more than one controller in a group.

Comment

I am an ex-ISY user from about 1 month ago. The MS Insteon plug-in only allows you to add 1 device as a controller to a group.

But I think I'm getting the gist of what you are saying. Make a group with one switch as a controller via HS3, then natively link the other switch to it.
                I have been considering removing the ISY and using the MS plugin but the ISY makes it dead simple... any advantages you see to using this plugin? I only have dimmers & switches, no plans for anything else Insteon.

thx

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                  I have been considering removing the ISY and using the MS plugin but the ISY makes it dead simple... any advantages you see to using this plugin? I only have dimmers & switches, no plans for anything else Insteon.

thx
                  That's a very good question. I moved most of everything to Z-Wave and I got tired of all the "Is this supported" questions with the ISY. The ISY Z-Wave support is slow to update and I lost patience so I convinced myself to move all my remaining Insteon devices to Z-Wave. Score. Z-Wave support in HS3 is awesome. BUT .. there is no replacement for the KeypadLincs in Z-Wave. So I bought the MS Insteon plug-in and a USB PLM. At first I had problems with the Tap to Discover for the KPLs but found out that Add by Device ID worked great.

No problems with the MS Insteon plug-in other than the point of this thread, which has an alternative to the ISY method.

I have resurrected an old Insteon Motion Sensor which is working great.

HS3 does things a little different but I have not regretted moving over at all. My house is now working exactly the same as it did with the ISY albeit with different events. Strongly recommended but YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                  X