Samsung Buys SmartThings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Buys SmartThings

And so the consolidation continues. Didn't see that one coming though.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-sna...net-of-things/

I am curious now in some sort of logistics here.

Who has the biggest money stick relating to the Home Automation market?

Is there a rankings list some where showing this?

I'm thinking that they are the biggest money stick so far (largest bucket).
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Who has the biggest money stick relating to the Home Automation market?
      If the cash pot is the measure I would have to think it's Google.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Unfortunately, most of these are just remote control options, not real automation. I suspect largely driven by the profit of selling individual devices. You still don't see the home control systems being developed (HomeKit definitely isn't it).

This is why I get frustrated with HST, they are positioned to be the HA control system of choice, but as small staffed as they are, I suspect they'll never get there (1 year for Beta testing?) and get run over by the big boys and left in the dust..

Z

Comment

Yup here hoping to purchase my internet connection from Google fiber sooner than later.

and get run over by the big boys and left in the dust..
          present tense (already eating dust) and going to be very difficult tomorrow (well already today) to catch up.

$50 for an automation hub on Amazon is already here; even half baked it does much or has the capabilities to do much relating to automation.

ISP's / big box / automation big sticks will be giving these away for reoccurring revenues sooner than later.

Well on a tangent; cloud automation is cheap and everybody today had a smart phone.

Old fashioned here prefer to control my own automation and take from the internet selfishly for my own personal needs today. (try to keep it mostly one way - but I am writing on this forum right now).
          Last edited by Pete; August 15, 2014, 09:44 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
            Unfortunately, most of these are just remote control options, not real automation. I suspect largely driven by the profit of selling individual devices. You still don't see the home control systems being developed (HomeKit definitely isn't it).
            I'm more suspicious that it's a Trojan horse for yet more information about the customers. All the big (and wannabe big) players have a subscription model and require all data be transmitted to a central site.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Old fashioned here prefer to control my own automation and take from the internet selfishly for my own personal needs today. (try to keep it mostly one way - but I am writing on this forum right now).
              Ahh... that explains the Cuban sandwich.. just trying to confuse the Google algorithms..

Z

Comment

This was certainly and interesting announcement yesterday. I got in on the Kickstarter edition and was almost going to put my hub up for sale, but now I think that I will hold on to it for a little longer and see what happens. In reply to the posts that hubs are getting cheaper, I got an email from Home Depot yesterday that one of the newer hubs can be had for $0.99 if you purchased 2 modules. This kind of competition will be hard for a company like HS. Who will want to sit down and create their own screens for their portable devices when others have them all ready to go.

Comment

Well certainly this isn't going to do anything about keeping people's data out of the cloud. This just further pushes that model. Those of us that don't want to go the way of having all that data out there are still stuck with limited options. I had originally backed them as well, but didn't want to go that route when it was deemed everything was going to need that requirement.

Comment

Another data breach yesterday...

Two supermarket chains report major computer break-ins

Supervalu and AB Acquisition report major computer break-ins that involved supermarkets across many states. Affected stores include Albertson's, Jewel-Osco, Shaw's, Star Maekts, Farm Fresh and Shop 'N' Save.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/246...break-ins.html
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete

What does $50 buy as a hub on Amazon?

Comment

What does $50 buy as a hub on Amazon?
                        Its been a while and there are so many deals I have forgotten....googling "automation hub deals" see the staples connect at $49.99 today....and the Wink at home depot for $49.99...could be old links that I am seeing?

PC Magazine did write an article called "The Best Smart Home Automation Hubs on September 17, 2014.

Looking for the best way to control all the connected devices in your house? Look no further than these five smart home automation hubs.

The whole point of connected home devices is to make simple tasks even easier. But that can be easy to forget when you can't remember which app dims the lights and which one turns on the Crock-Pot. Luckily, there's a fix for this problem, but it requires an additional piece of hardware: a hub.

Smart home automation hubs are a one-stop solution for unifying your connected gadgets, and helping control them from one simple app, instead of many. But not all hubs are created equal; different hubs support different connectivity protocols, so it's important to look for a hub that supports the devices you use. Bluetooth LE, Lutron ClearConnect, Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, and ZigBee are all popular ways to connect, so you want a hub that supports as many of these standards as possible. Support for IFTTT (If This Then That) is also useful, as it adds even more ways to configure and trigger your connected devices.

Another important thing to consider: a good app. If you're going to be controlling all of your connected devices from a single place, you should make sure that it's an app you actually want to use. We take this into careful consideration when reviewing hubs, and look for apps that are smartly designed, attractive, and intuitive.

So if you have a number of connected gadgets in your home, stop paging through home screens, trying to find the app that closes the shade. No matter which devices you own, you're sure to find a hub below that works for you.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468647,00.asp

Geez here I quit reading the magazine after they went digital ....a couple of years back............think I did have a subscription for it for quit a few years...

.....I do enjoy reading everyone's expert opinions on automation devices.......
                        Last edited by Pete; September 19, 2014, 12:52 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Samsung Buying Smartthings can be good or bad for home automation

There are potentially exciting things going on in home automation. Microsoft partnered with insteaon, Google and Apple seem to be putting their hats into the ring a bit, and Samsung purchased Smartthings. These things can either be game changers or a hindrance. If Samsung makes Smartthings more proprietary as they have done with their appliance control system, then it would be a travesty. If they use their power and the Smartthings platform to really take home automation where it has been struggling to be for Decades. More products are coming out than ever and the price of them has been coming down. More and more devices are coming with wifi, Bluetooth, z wave, and other connectivity platforms. If one of these companies really breaks out and allows a user to control all of these technologies under one app or platform, it would be a game changer. If these big companies use these recent partnerships to remain proprietary, it would be a travesty. If they open it wide up to integrate everything, it can be AWSOME. I think that Samsung also has the potential to come up with some excellent devices. I do think that many of these companies willuse these platforms to try to enter your home and enter even more deeply into our private lives seeing you as nothing more than a consumer and milking every bit of information they can use against you and sell about you against you. Lets not forget how big brother invasive government has already forced cell phone companies to surrender all of your information on you down to tracking your every move. This could end up being a very bad thing. Only time will tell, but I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X