Alert Trigger Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert Trigger Questions

Couple of quick questions regarding alert triggers.

1) During Hurricane Harvey, our location received hundreds of NWS alerts for all kinds of weather including tropical storms, hurricane, flood, flash flood, tornado, etc. Since we don't live anywhere near a river or the coast, I was trying to configure my trigger alert for anything that wasn't flood related. I tried putting in "warning" into the "trigger keywords" field as well as specific items like "tornado,thunderstorm,hurricane,tropical" comma separated, and then put in the word "flood" in the "alert name not contains" but then I didn't get any alerts. I took flood out of the not contains field, but then would sometimes receive flood warnings since the alert summary might contain hurricane or tropical in it. How do you create a generic alert trigger for any warnings except for flood warnings? Attached is what I currently have, but this generated flood warnings and watches due to the keyword search.

2) relates to multiple alerts received at the same time. It appears that the alert trigger fires multiple times, one for each matching alert, but this causes media and speech to be cutoff as the next alert is fired. Is there a way to only have the alert trigger fire for the most recent alert, or more preferred, the most critical alert? Say a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect and also a tornado warning. I'd like for the tornado warning to be the only alert that is triggered so it doesn't get cut off by the less severe thunderstorm watch. How are multiple matching alerts supposed to be handled?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by slbuck View Post
    2) relates to multiple alerts received at the same time. It appears that the alert trigger fires multiple times, one for each matching alert, but this causes media and speech to be cutoff as the next alert is fired. Is there a way to only have the alert trigger fire for the most recent alert, or more preferred, the most critical alert? Say a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect and also a tornado warning. I'd like for the tornado warning to be the only alert that is triggered so it doesn't get cut off by the less severe thunderstorm watch. How are multiple matching alerts supposed to be handled?
    I don't think there is any way around this. For some reason, NOAA doesn't send the entire text for an alert.
    Here is an example of the text of an alert from my area yesterday.

<summary>...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SOUTH CENTRAL CHEYENNE AND NORTH CENTRAL SHERMAN COUNTIES IN NORTHWESTERN KANSAS UNTIL 330 PM MDT/430 PM CDT/... At 302 PM MDT/402 PM CDT/, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm 13 miles north of Goodland, moving northeast at 15 mph. Nickel size hail and winds in excess of 40 mph will be possible with </summary>

The alert does give a URL for more info about the alert. When I rewrite the alerts section I do plan on grabbing the full text from the URL but it will be a bit longer. I just finished the maps rewrite and I am working on adding some new devices that have been requested for a while. After that I will start on the alerts. Most likely sometime next month I will past a thread to ask for changes/additions to the alerts. One of the goals is to use Weather Underground for alerts as well as NOAA. A big goal is to no longer store the Triggers in an ini file.

For part 1 of your question, I will look through the code tonight rather than try to answer from memory.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

If you can set the schedule to keep back up files for the alert and set the alerts up the way you described. Check the backups when you don't get an alert that should have ran and send me that file so I can look at the data to try to figure out what happened.
      Without some real values to look at it is hard to figure out what is causing this.

I will setup an alert on my system as well to test it.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Here's an alert trigger with an alert title contains keyword search for "special" and a title not contains "flood". Ignore the Trigger name since I was testing with a county that actually had a weather event.

When it's just special, I get the alert, but when I add the not contains flood (which should also get an alert since the alert is a special weather statement which matches the special keyword and doesn't contain flood), I don't get an alert.

I imagine this will be similar behavior if I used keywords contains and not contains for the name and summary.

I've attached a screenshot of both the trigger settings and the alert xml.
        Attached Files

Comment

I was able to duplicate what you are seeing.
          Will try to get to it soon.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff, looking at triggers I'm trying to setup two triggers one for tornado and thunderstorms and the other for snow and blizzards. I'm trying to make the second alert trigger active by selecting the "Yes" drop down but every time I either return and or use Save changes it reverts back to "No" am I missing something? Mike
            Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
            Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
            HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Jeff,
              1) looking at triggers I'm trying to setup two triggers one for tornado and thunderstorms and the other for snow and blizzards. I'm trying to make the second alert trigger active by selecting the "Yes" drop down but every time I either return and or use Save changes it reverts back to "No" am I missing something?

2)Alerts what does "Use Last Alert Device and Number of Alert Devices options do for me other than create X virtual devices? I'm trying to understand what the virtual devices are do vs Alert Triggers?

3) looking at Events using the weatherXML triggers I notice that Alerts are not available, is that why I have Alert Triggers option? Mike

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
                Jeff,
                1) looking at triggers I'm trying to setup two triggers one for tornado and thunderstorms and the other for snow and blizzards. I'm trying to make the second alert trigger active by selecting the "Yes" drop down but every time I either return and or use Save changes it reverts back to "No" am I missing something?
                I'll take a look at this today and see what it going on. You are correct in that just selecting Yes should save the setting.

2)Alerts what does "Use Last Alert Device and Number of Alert Devices options do for me other than create X virtual devices? I'm trying to understand what the virtual devices are do vs Alert Triggers?
                Correct, the Number of alert devices sets a limit for the number of devices that weatherXML creates. As it uses the devices it will start with the highest alert level and continue down the alert levels until it either runs out of alerts or runs out of devices.

The Last Alert Device is for use with HSTouch, so you can put the device on a HSTouch page and it will display the alert from the last time the alerts were checked.

3) looking at Events using the weatherXML triggers I notice that Alerts are not available, is that why I have Alert Triggers option? Mike
                Yes, the Alert Triggers are because I haven't added them to the HS Events. One of the features missing from HS events (imo) is the ability for the plugin to send a value to HS when it sends a trigger notice and to have the value sent back to the plugin when HS tells the plugin to run it's action. I would like to be able to send the alert id in case there is more than one alert to trigger on.
                One of the items on my to do list is to figure out how to handle this and move the triggers to the HS events. That will be a while though, as I am just now in the planning stages of rewriting the alert section.
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff,
                  Thanxs for comeback and explanations... I can be slow sometimes hence the edumucation questions

Correct, the Number of alert devices sets a limit for the number of devices that weatherXML creates. As it uses the devices it will start with the highest alert level and continue down the alert levels until it either runs out of alerts or runs out of devices.
                  So how many devices should I define, what dictates the number? and how/what does one do with these devices (other than having 5 devices the currently display "No Alerts currently.".

Have you had a chance to look at wind parameters, it seems that all things wind eg. direction, speed, gust etc. does not seem to be updating. I deleted all of the wind devices and re initiated them via the device tab which brought them back but still have no real world values nor are they updating. Mike

Comment

If I remember right, you are using NOAA.
                    For the devices not updating are they the forecast wind devices?
                    If so, NOAA doesn't provide that data. Weather Underground is the source I recommend for the most data.
                    If you prefer NOAA for Conditions, you can use NOAA for conditions and use Weather Underground for Forecasts.
                    You will get Wind info for forecast, Precipitation in inches as well as percentage.
                    --
                    Jeff Farmer
                    HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff,
                      Thanxs for comeback and explanations... I can be slow sometimes hence the edumucation questions
                      Don't let that bother you. weatherXML has been around for a long time.
                      It has had a lot of feature requests over the years. When I released it I included a document for the features. I had forgot to update it for HS3 and have been slowly working to correct that. I have 5 sections left to update the documentation.

So how many devices should I define, what dictates the number? and how/what does one do with these devices (other than having 5 devices the currently display "No Alerts currently.".
                      Many are using them as part of HSTouch. Or some use them in custom web pages. They are mainly for how you want to use them. You can still use the Alerts even if you don't use any devices. I use the PushOver plugin and have integrated it with weatherXML. It can be selected as an action for the Alert Triggers. If you have other ideas on how you want to use the alerts I have a sticky thread started to post ideas for the alerts rewrite.
                      --
                      Jeff Farmer
                      HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Have you had a chance to look at wind parameters, it seems that all things wind eg. direction, speed, gust etc. does not seem to be updating. I deleted all of the wind devices and re initiated them via the device tab which brought them back but still have no real world values nor are they updating. Mike

I was in a hurry when I looked at this over the weekend so I rechecked today.
                        To clarify:
                        NOAA should be providing Wind Speed, Wind Direction, Wind Degrees and Wind Gust for conditions.
                        NOAA does not provide the Wind information for forecasts.
                        --
                        Jeff Farmer
                        HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff, looking at triggers I'm trying to setup two triggers one for tornado and thunderstorms and the other for snow and blizzards. I'm trying to make the second alert trigger active by selecting the "Yes" drop down but every time I either return and or use Save changes it reverts back to "No" am I missing something? Mike
                          Yes, this is also happenning to me. When I select yes and return to main page it's says no.... Any fix for this yet?
                          Hector
                          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                            Yes, this is also happenning to me. When I select yes and return to main page it's says no.... Any fix for this yet?
                            I have 2 different installs of HS.
                            I am running 3.0.0.377 on my development computer and 3.0.0.318 on my production computer. I cannot duplicate this on either one. Set the alert to Yes, and then look in the weatherTrigger.ini file. The alerts will display on the page in the order they were added.
                            In the ini file look for triggerActive1. Replace the 1 with whichever alert you edited. What is the value set in the ini file? It should be a 1 or a 0.
                            --
                            Jeff Farmer
                            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                              I have 2 different installs of HS.
                              I am running 3.0.0.377 on my development computer and 3.0.0.318 on my production computer. I cannot duplicate this on either one. Set the alert to Yes, and then look in the weatherTrigger.ini file. The alerts will display on the page in the order they were added.
                              In the ini file look for triggerActive1. Replace the 1 with whichever alert you edited. What is the value set in the ini file? It should be a 1 or a 0.
                              I changed to yes and checked INI . It was set to 0. I then edited the INI file to 1 and it still didn't change.
                              Hector
                              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                              X