Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldEE
    Mike-
    Are you convinced that there are no backlighting LED's in these older units? Perhaps its there but was never wired in.

If its not there, we could add a couple of LED's at the edge of the LCD diplay.
    I'm not 100% certain, but I found a couple of posts somewhere on Google that the origional RC80 did not have a backlight. When I took it apart, I couldn't see any evidence of a backlight on there, but you are right, one could be easily added. You can try emailing HAI's tech support to double check the backlight, I'll probably do the same. When I sent them an email asking about the jumper, they were very responsive and replied within about 10mins.

BTW, saw your previous post about the comm info. Unless I misunderstood your post, the HAI Thermostat plugin is free, the HAI security panel plugin is not.

-Mike

Comment

FYI: Got my confirmation from HAI: "The older tstats do not have backlighting available."

-Mike

Comment

Free plug-in?

Mike,

Can you send me a link to the free HAI Thermostat plugin? / Thanks!

Comment

If you run the Homeseer Updater, it's the "HAI Thermostat Plugin".

-Mike

Comment

No RS232 Transceiver?

I just connected an RC-80B up to a 24vac supply to confirm the wiring of the RS232 cable. The LCD display comes up and the unit appears to be working fine. I had expected to find the typical -9v level appearing on the TXD pin, but see no level at all. In fact, I don't see an RS232 transceiver on the board. Does anyone know how the RC-80's RS232 interface can work without generating -9v (during inactivity)?

Comment

Comm port wiring

The 4 wire comm connection is for connecting to an HAI panel. It can handle more than one depending on the panel model. If you have more than 1, each thermostat must be assigned a unique address. This is all covered on page 11 and 17 of the manual.

I have 6 with addresses 1 through six and all go to the Omni Pro panel for zone 16 and output 8.

Comment

Mike,

The RC-80 you received was actually offered as part of the GE-Interlogix Wireless Security System. The HAI part number was 13A00-47 and the model number was RC-80RF. As mentioned above, other than the wireless RF daughter card, they are identical to the original RC-80 but not the RC-80B. I purchased one of these as well and simply removed the daughter card, works like a champ.

Comment

GE-Interlogix Wireless Security System

AccessX10, do you know if that security systen is still avaible?

Charles

Comment

RS232 compatible

I was about to construct the cable as defined in the documentation you sent. But before doing so, I thought I'd confirm that it was electrically compatible with the RS232 standard. I removed the RF daughter board (which does contain an RS232 transceiver) and expected to see -9v on the main board's TXD pin, but see nothing. I suppose I should just accept this and build the cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles

Charles
                      Charles,

Yes, it's the GE Interlogix Simon 3 (version 3.3 and later).

Comment

Optocouplers in RS232 circuits

I now see that my confusion was caused by the presence of optocouplers in the RS232 circuits. This product is very well designed.

Comment

Sorry, AccessX10
                          I wasn't clear, I am looking for the complete GE system with the RS80RF in it.

Charles

Originally posted by Charles

Charles

Comment

Ending the "REMOTE Mode"

I installed two of the RC80-B's here at home and wrote a Visual Basic application to manage them using RS-232 mode. (Thanks for the assistance & documentation!) One question came up while writing the application. As expected, when I issue commands to change the Temperature Setpoints or the Fan Status, the RC80 displays "REMOTE." At times, I would like my application to terminate and allow the thermostats to resume using their internal programmed settings. Is there a serial command that will accomplish this, or do I always have to walk to the thermostats and end their Remote Modes by pushing one of the buttons?

Comment

All the remote indicator means is that the last communication to the thermostat was via its RS232 connection. If you press a button on the thermostat, the remote indicator will disappear until the next time communication is received via the Com port. There is no problem with the stats being controlled by both a PC and by a human at the thermostat's panel.

Alan

Comment

Remote Mode

I thought that once the thermostat was in Remote mode, that it would stop running its normal temperature program. Otherwise, the thermostat would override the Remote setting when it reaches each day's 4 programmed temperature settinngs. Is this the way it works?

Comment

Working...
                                X