Detect if an iron is plugged in or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detect if an iron is plugged in or not

The morning routine in my house is always busy. And in the morning rush "we" have a tendency to forget if "we" unplugged the iron "we" used to iron "our" skirt...

So! Is there a smart way to detect if the iron is unplugged or not? I have some DS10s laying around, it would be great to put them to good use.
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    The morning routine in my house is always busy. And in the morning rush "we" have a tendency to forget if "we" unplugged the iron "we" used to iron "our" skirt...

So! Is there a smart way to detect if the iron is unplugged or not? I have some DS10s laying around, it would be great to put them to good use.
    Doesn't the iron turn off automatically? I thought they all did this now?

The only way I would know to do this is to get a 2 way appliance module and poll it to see if it's on. I'm not sure an appliance module is rated high enough for irons though. If they are you could simply send a few off signals once you leave buy either a timed event or your "leaving" event.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Doesn't the iron turn off automatically? I thought they all did this now?
      Depends on what you mean by that. It turns itself off when it get's hot enough.

Can you keep yours plugged in all the time?

The only way I would know to do this is to get a 2 way appliance module and poll it to see if it's on. I'm not sure an appliance module is rated high enough for irons though. If they are you could simply send a few off signals once you leave buy either a timed event or your "leaving" event.
      Hmm... I'm only using X10 and HomeEasy/Nexa/RFXCOM/wireless devices. I'll see what I can find.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
        Can you keep yours plugged in all the time?
        Yes, most all the newer irons have auto shutoffs if the iron isn't moved for a coupe of minutes. We have one now that turns off in 30 seconds if it's not moved. That's almost too fast.
        http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-4211-S.../dp/B0006ABOE0
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Although 'our' iron has the auto-shutoff feature too, I still have it plugged into a VRP15 appliance module (15A, 1800W) that has an associated event that shuts off the power to the iron 15 minutes after 'our' customary morning leave time...pretty much what Rupp said above.
          All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Yes, most all the newer irons have auto shutoffs if the iron isn't moved for a coupe of minutes. We have one now that turns off in 30 seconds if it's not moved. That's almost too fast.
            http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-4211-S.../dp/B0006ABOE0
            Nice! But do you keep the iron plugged in?

I just checked, this is (strangely) not a normal feature here...

I'll use an appliance module, so at least I KNOW that the power is off.

Comment

You should be very careful using an X10 appliance module on the iron. Over the years I have had many of my appliance module devices turn ON spontaneously. Electrical noise can trigger the appliance module to turn ON. I have an Attic fan that is very susceptible and turns ON at least once a week when it is not supposed to be ON.

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Yeah, that's why I figured use either a X10 device that can report it's status, or an RFXCOM RF device...

Comment

Working...
                X