PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news Bob.

The NAT reflection mode option is nice on PFSense as many SOHO routers do not have a switch and NAT reflection by default is on or off with no way to change it.

Here have a few Apache2 servers running inside of my LAN. IE: Homeseer 3 today is running Apache2 - PHP.

Historically did open up the firewall for my Zoneminder box but changed the ports from 80 to something else and then used my Dynamic DNS server to attach a name to a unique port.

Today rather just utilize VPN such that I can see any of the Apache2 servers on my LAN.

Many folks just put their LAMP servers in a DMZ to be able to run multiple services.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am starting to see more mini pc's utilizing the Intel Skylake type of CPU / chip sets.

Prices are all over the place starting at a bit under $100 to almost $300.

They do come mostly with a Windows 10 license.

Here will most likely test one of these with KODI running Ubuntu 64bit and wait some more for a Skylake router board configuration. (should be around the corner now)...
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This might be a great option for you guys (assuming the price will be similar to the J1900 boxes).

It's apollo lake, so it has aes-ni, and it has 4 intel gbe ports.

http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-apollo-l...usb-3-0-ports/

I have the same processor (n3350) in my custom built pfsense box. Thanks to aes-ni I can max out my 50mbps connection with encrypted vpn and the cpu utilization is under 20%

EDIT: correction, I have the j3350, which is the desktop version and it is a bit faster
        Last edited by aptalca; October 7, 2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Pete,

Are we getting close?
          Michael

Comment

Well yesterday wrote to a vendor looking for a distribution center in the US and I offered the Midwest. I am not sure where this is going yet.

It involves a bit more than just shipping and receiving.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

No worries. Just wondering.

Thanks,
              Michael

Comment

Just FYI,

PFSense officially released 2.4.0 on October 10th. My attempt to upgrade went real bad and put my firewall into a CRASH and reboot loop. Several hours later I determined that the problem was the LightSquid addon. Had to do a fresh install and restore my configuration backup to recover. About 3 hours wasted. I am beginning to really dislike updates. Anyway, 2.4.0 is up and running with all of my addons. Just beware of possible problems when you decide to upgrade.

Bob

Comment

Thank you Bob.

I have had a few PFSense updates cause upheavals. I did go on the PFSense forum to vent at those times. One update did not work with my log caching in memory; well it just would have issues.

Recently updates have been no issues.

Reading your post though now has me going to the PFSense forum for a look see.

I did not get an email tickle for the new update for 2.4.0 release on October 10, 2017.

I looked just now and see the update.

[ATTACH]63967[/ATTACH]
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

My update to 2.4.0 was simple, fast and without issue.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

FYI PFSense 2.4 is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Updated PFSense this afternoon, 18th of October at around 1500c time.

>>> Updating repositories metadata...
                        pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected. Running "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended
                        Updating pfSense-core repository catalogue...
                        pfSense-core repository is up to date.
                        Updating pfSense repository catalogue...
                        done.
                        pfSense repository is up to date.
                        All repositories are up to date.
                        >>> Locking package pkg... done.
                        2.4.0 version of pfSense is available

The process will require 34 MiB more space.
                        124 MiB to be downloaded.

System update failed!

Will try again.

Did not try again after looking at the console.

Went downstairs to the "server room" to look at the console. It was still updating and downloading files. It rebooted then removed and reinstalled plugins.

All is well now.

The main GUI page appears a bit different / login is different / looks like a bunch of changes with the PFsense 2.4 update.

Looked at the plugins and noticed it was still showing old PFBlocker and a tickle about updating to new PFBlocker which I did.

>>> Upgrading pfSense-pkg-pfBlockerNG...
                        Updating pfSense-core repository catalogue...
                        pfSense-core repository is up to date.
                        Updating pfSense repository catalogue...
                        pfSense repository is up to date.
                        All repositories are up to date.
                        The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
                        pfSense-pkg-pfBlockerNG: 2.1.1_11 -> 2.1.2 [pfSense]

Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

Rest of the plugins appear to be working fine. So it was probably some goofy php error relating to the GUI. I have historically also updated via the console rather that the GUI. (a couple of times). I did do a manual backup before starting.

[ATTACH]63972[/ATTACH]

Main (Dashboard) page is showing this now which I will probably close. Netgate is putting it's teeth in place prominently.

[ATTACH]63973[/ATTACH]

Login prompt looks like this now with upgrade to PFSense 2.4

Everything else looks the same.

Did not really have any issues other than in the GUI such that update was painless.

[ATTACH]63974[/ATTACH]

After all was done posted my experience on the PFSense forum.
                        Last edited by Pete; October 18, 2017, 03:18 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

One issue that I have seen reported relates to DNS Resolver and a slow down of upload speeds.

I do not think that this is an issue with the update rather it is an issue with DNS Resolver as I changed my IP about a month ago and my upload speeds slowed down to some 250k.
                          I would reboot the modem and the upload speeds would be ok for a day or so then drop back down to 250k.

Calling CC they told me that my modem checked out fine.

My modem upload speeds have been good now for over a week with old version of PFSense and new version of PFSense.

Here force a change in my internet address about once every 3-4 months.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Reading some on the forums noticed that many issues were caused relating to a BSD OS update. Recently there was another update:

2.4.1-RELEASE (amd64)
                            built on Sun Oct 22 17:26:33 CDT 2017
                            FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p2
                            The system is on the latest version.

It also indicates AES-NI CPU Crypto on CPU.

Beta updates now are at 2.4.4.

Plus now a disclaimer pops up with first time use which I have never seen before.

Here still waiting on a Skylake based micro router motherboard.

Meanwhile updating current PFSense box using a BCM motherboard to a newer BCM mITX mother board using a Haswell chip set (similiar to Homeseer Pro today)

[ATTACH]64128[/ATTACH]

Looks to me like this disclaimer is for folks selling devices with PFSense installed.
                            Last edited by Pete; October 28, 2017, 08:24 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

No news on a $100 mini box with multiple NICs yet.

Enabled messaging on up and down WAN links and see my CC link going down every morning around 3AM and my WAN2 link (cellular) always going up and down.

Found a yagi antenna for the cellular link and will be adding it to the cellular modem.

Updating PFSense today.

Just noticed this:

2.4.1-RELEASE (amd64)
                              built on Sun Oct 22 17:26:33 CDT 2017
                              FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p2

Version 2.4.2 is available.

Uptime: 28 Days 18 Hours 39 Minutes 36 Seconds

2.4.2-RELEASE (amd64)
                              built on Mon Nov 20 08:12:56 CST 2017
                              FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4

The system is on the latest version.
                              Version information updated at Fri Nov 24 10:10:39 CST 2017
                              Last edited by Pete; November 24, 2017, 11:36 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Updated the same day it came out. Fixed quite a few terrible bugs in the previous release! The problem with these open source freeware is so so reliability and performance when compared to a commercial enterprise firewall solution. Then again one can't complain much given the software and hard work is free!! I was very lucky to have purchased eight different Micro PC's in a large group buy a few months ago since this thread started. I was finally able to decommission a few 1200 watt servers and other high draw systems.

At the time I was reluctant to do so because I couldn't rap my head around not having massive computing and memory power. But after I sat there shaking my head it only made sense considering the real world use of those computers were rarely if ever brought to bare. At the time of this writing I was (am) using four different hardware firewall solutions. But the subscription is running out on two of them and have decided the best value moving forward is to use a combination of freeware and subscription services where it makes sense. I am extremely impressed with these micro PC's energy consumption which hover around 7~9 watts depending upon load. No more freaking fan noise or taking up a huge rack or floor space !!

The whole clean look and out of sight out of mind can't be beat. Even though some of the Micro PC's can't take advantage of the built in WiFi using pfSense at least they are there if I ever decide to migrate to another OS it will. Loaded the latest ubuntu on one and the dual band WiFi operates just fine. Some of the units I purchased it was important to have microphone, speaker, HDMI outputs along with dual NIC's.

Sadly not all of the Micro PC's offered Intel NIC's. So I made sure the firewall units did and also supported AES-NI for any possible software support.

One has to think and plan for the future!! The biggest thing that helped was being able to purchase the larger thicker cases. Which enables a person to spend less on mSata storage but have the option to wire in a 2.5 SSD.

I haven't finished setting up the last four Micro PC's as I have to sit down and really think what the long term future is for all of them. Trying very hard to have a unified system that balances cost, features, performance, and use case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X