No announcement yet.

Remote Video Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPC-HC seems to produce better results...doesn't seem to annoy me (VLC sometimes "fullscreen" wasn't fullscreen...

Seems to use less processor to show the same files...

Also seems to have better MKV support...which Marty, I'm really starting to like...a lot. I encoded a few movies in BOTH divx on high quality and MKV on "normal". The MKV was 873meg, VS. the 1.63GB .DIVX file...and the MKV looked MUCH MUCH better!

Now I want to re-encode all my dvds! But...I won't...it would take too much time. For now, it's cheaper to just buy more hard drive space to put my DVDs.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Hmm, will have to check it out. Zoom takes around 30-40% of dual core CPU when playing 1280 mkv.

Comment

Depending on your video card, MPC-HC (as well as VLC...to some extent) can use / abuse the hardware acceleration (GPU) on the video card.

I saw one report, the guy did...20-30% use without GPU, then after enabling it, 5%

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan, did you look at the KMPlayer? I think you might like it even better then the MPC-HC.

I did some testing and all (VLC, KMPlayer and MPC-HC would keep the processor below 20% (15-19) when playing Transformers BR rip. Zoom Player is between 30-40%. That is quite surprising consider the other 3 are free players and the ZP is not.

When it comes to codecs, you only need to download Haali media splitter and ffdshow and you should be pretty much good to go for everything.

Comment

True...very true...

If you go through the process of "switching" MPC-HC to use the ahrdware acceleration, your processor use should go lower...unless it's already accelerating...

What kind of machine is this? My current HTPC is pegged at 100% and I can't watch any BR quality movies...

--Dan

Comment

I'll post the specs tonight when I get home. But it's nothing special. Dual core, mid range VGA with HDMI out and 4 gig memory (only 3 show in 32 bit system). Most of my movies are 1280 x 720 resolution (=720p) and TV is 37 inch VIZIO. Sound 5.1 dolby either AC3 or AAC.
              Did you try the KM player? It has it's own codecs too so you don't need any additional ones.

Comment

No, I just downloaded it. I'll try it in the next few days.

--Dan

Comment

There is also a message board where you can find the manual and keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

Dan,
                    When you have a minute, give an another try to XBMC. Somehow I missed the posts about it at the begining. Anyway, I just downloaded it and it looks awesome.

Marty

Comment

All,

I have not forgotten about this, but a few things have been taking up all my time:
                      -New Projects at work
                      -Kids (plural now)
                      -had to re-install the server...2x, my hardware did NOT like Win2k8...but likes Win7
                      -Been trying to tweak up some of the "little things" that I was ignoring for a while (indicator flashes for "hidden" features on switches, until I get my Zoned Audio wire pulled for the new house...well a year old at this point)

I still intend to fix the issues that I have recorded, which need to be fixed. So, I am not sure if anyone has played with this at all...since...looks like January...?

Comment

No worry Dan, I was completely out of HS board for few months because of too many project in work.
                        Did you ever tried EventGhost??

Comment

Didn't get to that. I actually wiped my HTPC. It had Vista on it (eww). I was going through the documentation, saw the PC was actually a 64bit processor. So, I installed Windows 7 x64 on it. Wow, so much better!

Plus, when I have x64 programs on it, I seem to be running a bit faster. I'm liking Win7, the more and more I use it.

--Dan

Comment

All,

Been a while since I updated.

I was asked by a few people to put together a release of my code. Although it's not ready, I feel, WHY NOT?

So, see this post or thread for more details:
                            http://forums.homeseer.com/showpost....&postcount=214
                            http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=943858

I have not updated the remote media software, as of this post, so if there are bugs, they are still there. The package I am referring to will just allow integration to the DVDCollection webapges.

Sorry it has been so long, I just have not been able to find a LOT of time to work on this particular project.

--Dan

Comment

Everyone get their package that expected it?

I was having trouble with some people's e-mail accounts.

--Dan

Comment

I don't know if anyone is still interested in this, but V0.9 is ready to be tested.

I started over. Based some code from TenHold's samples and blended that with some features that "we" need for this.

So far, this version has remote program execution and remote key pressing. I need to add remote addressing (so you don't send the "same" command to all the connected clients).

I'll try to fire an e-mail to each of you that tested it for me in the first place. If I miss you, send me one, I'll get the beta program over to you.

This is pretty hefty now (Speaker Client files), so I'm going to have to setup a linked file on my server. The actual executable is less than 100K, but I was not sure which speaker client files I needed to include (the only PC I tested it on has the speaker client installed). Eentually I'm sure we can eliminate those files as part of the distributed file system.

BTW, this program seems a LOT more stable and reliable...so, here's hoping it all works out for each of you as well!

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X