Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding distant devices/nodes to network

Hello all,

I'm building out my network, and getting to the point where I'm adding new nodes that won't be able to talk to my controller directly. I was wondering what methods people are using to add nodes when they get to this point. Batter devices should be fairly straightforward (add near controller, install, then optimize) but what about hard wired devices?

Today, I added a wall switch that couldn't see the controller. Of course I found this out after I had wired it into the wall. Luckily, I was able to move my controller (a Z-Net) closer to the new device and add it that way. I also tried using a Z-Stick I have lying around, but was not successful at adding it to the Z-Stick then moving it to the Z-Net (not sure why, but the fact that they have the same Home-ID might have something to do with it).

Should I be able (in theory) to add devices to my Z-Stick, then transfer them to the Z-Net? This seems like the easiest way to add devices in my particular situation.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ian351c View Post
    Hello all,

I'm building out my network, and getting to the point where I'm adding new nodes that won't be able to talk to my controller directly. I was wondering what methods people are using to add nodes when they get to this point. Batter devices should be fairly straightforward (add near controller, install, then optimize) but what about hard wired devices?

Today, I added a wall switch that couldn't see the controller. Of course I found this out after I had wired it into the wall. Luckily, I was able to move my controller (a Z-Net) closer to the new device and add it that way. I also tried using a Z-Stick I have lying around, but was not successful at adding it to the Z-Stick then moving it to the Z-Net (not sure why, but the fact that they have the same Home-ID might have something to do with it).

Should I be able (in theory) to add devices to my Z-Stick, then transfer them to the Z-Net? This seems like the easiest way to add devices in my particular situation.

Thanks!
    In theory you should be able to add nodes using the z-stick and then importing them into HS, I have never managed to do this so far.

I have two nodes which are out of range of the z-wave controller. I included them about 4/5 inches away from the controller then fitted them in their final position which is in range of a z-wave device with repeating capabilities. I then fully optimised the network and hay presto they are there and can be controlled.

Be careful though, although I believe all z-wave devices are repeaters, HS only recognises a few as repeaters, and I mean about 3 brands. I discovered this when I was having lots of problems with an early HS2 installation of z-wave and had purchased Everspring modules (I would not recommend them for other reasons) and HS decided they were only slave. I used a free trial of another HA system and it recognised them as repeaters. Having now moved to HS3 for z-wave it still only recognises very few z-wave devices to their full capability.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Related to this - how does one determine if Homeseer is using a particular device as a repeater or just a slave? Thanks.

Comment

I would guess that is under Plug-Ins > Z-Wave > Node Information. Check the "Last Working Route" field for each node and it will tell you what other nodes it's using to talk to the controller.

Not sure if there's a more direct method of getting this info.

Comment

From experience, you should always include the module as close to the controller as possible. Both battery and power connected modules.

Once they are included and working you move them to the location you want to install them. Once this is done you do 3-4 optimizations of the module then a full with return route.

This has for me been working very good in several systems. If for some reason they act strange you should do a complete re optimize of the entire system 3-4 times and 1 time with return route. This because sometimes even though its not logical one node/module can get better signal through a different route once you have a new module installed.
          Certified installer for HomeSeer, Control4, KNX and Eaton/xComfort

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
            Related to this - how does one determine if Homeseer is using a particular device as a repeater or just a slave? Thanks.
            In HS2 it's under z-wave management, who am I

In HS3 it's under z-wave, Node Information

Happy hunting.
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I will never do a full system optimization again

Do this, then check your routes in node information. You will find your Z-Net going through 2 to 10 nodes to get to a Zwave+ or near + end device with ZDK of 4.5 or better and often a connection speed of only 9.6. This when you can create a direct route Z-Net to end device with a speed of 40k+. I have improved my network speed, response and reliability greatly by manually setting all my routes. I have a 3 level 4000 total sq ft. house. 60% of my devices connect directly Z-Net to end device, 20% go through just 1 intermediate node. 20% through 2 nodes. I set my routes to ONLY use intermediate nodes that have a ZDK of 4.5 or higher and that support beaming.

I add devices at the Z-Net and then relocate if necessary. I move my Z-Net around using other network wired connections or using one of the powerline adapters that I use for most of my ip cameras. That and a 25' Cat 6 cable will put the Z-Net next to all of my Zwave devices.

Comment

Working...
              X