No announcement yet.

Connectivity without Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I set that? Option 1, I would just do PORT forwarding on my router? On my mobile device, how do I point to those ports

With the VPN, how do I set that up?

Comment

Yes.

1 - port forward on your home router
      2 - point your mobile device to your internet IP address or dynamic DNS name.

IE: your mobile device mobile browser would point to your internet IP address and you would configure your HSTouch to same address.

To figure out what your internet address is at home google type:

"what is my internet ip address"

For VPN you have to see if it is an available option (vpn server) on your router. There is openvpn and ipsec vpn. Here utilize ipsec VPN. openvpn is easier to set up.

What is the MFG and model number of your home router?

Configurations are similar between hardware devices. Best to google how to do this. Thinking I started to write an FAQ for IPSEC VPN using PFSense.

Google your router and VPN server configuration. If it is available then you will see how to set it up. OpenWRT, DDWRT and Tomato have these features along with new combo firewall routers.

Here only utilize Windows Touch clients. Mobile wise have stayed in Windows 10 mobile mode. (there is no HSTouch for Windows 10 mobile today). Just last week wife asked for a larger size screen mobile phone (she keeps it off unless she wants to use it) and was using an iPhone. Switched two accounts over to using the Lumina 640XL 5.7" mobile phones. Here always purchased phones unlocked and have 5 a la carte T-Mobile SIM cards ($20 per month) with unlimited everything (really not used much) which replaced 5 AT&T unlimited grandfathered accounts (25 years old) after being slammed by AT&T. Well too we are not tethered to our phones. Personally had a "work" project revolving around tethering in the early 2000's. Once custom configured in a global enterprise mode I detached myself as it worked really well.

IE: here utilize one SIM card and multifunction modem at home for failover internet and phone use. Hybrid phone system configured at home using copper, voip and cellular. Cellular phones are forwarded to home numbers when off (and they are mostly off these days).

Testing we did a weekend trip and while staying at the hotel connected one touchscreen tabletop tablet to my mobile phone via VPN and it worked great.
      Last edited by Pete; January 14, 2018, 12:53 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I believe my IP address for home is not static, so when doing port forwarding and setting up HSTouch on my mobile phone, how will that work? Would I have have to keep changing my configuration as my IP address changes?

Comment

Originally posted by huntley1 View Post
          I believe my IP address for home is not static, so when doing port forwarding and setting up HSTouch on my mobile phone, how will that work? Would I have have to keep changing my configuration as my IP address changes?
          www.no-ip.com and www.dyndns.com can take care of it. Your router may come with a free DDNS option.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Here have used no ip dot com for over 10 years (with HS) and it works fine.

Using no ip dot com you can do port forwarding stuff like your firewall...

If you configure a VPN server at home then once connected you can utilize your home IPs for everthing via one tunnel versus multiple configurations on your home firewall.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, when you use your iPhone with T-Mobile, do you always get ipv6 address? Every time when I use iPhone on T-Mobile and get ipv6, VPN won't connect. I am trying to figure out if it my router (or VPN server setting) or it is caused by my ISP and can't be worked around.

Comment

Working...
              X