www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > 3rd Party Plug-Ins/Scripts > Plug-ins by Author > Click Here for List of Author Forums > Spud Plug-Ins > Alexa (3P)

Alexa (3P) Spud Alexa plugin that uses the Alexa Voice Service.

Old October 1st, 2015, 02:08 PM
OverSeer

I hear the voice in my head. It was a bit tricky to record.

No, just playing back the example of the speech font in the speech control applet. It sounds the same if I play any wave file now.

It is really windy outside and the microphone is picking up the wind sounds; kind of interesting effects (micky mouse sounding wind noises).

Alexa is sad.

She still answers fine at the cylinder thing or via the blue tooth microphone.

What is odd is that I see the Alexa audio control but cannot see its properties or default to it. (in the above picture).

Fixed.

Deleted all of the sound devices. Rebooted and let windows reload all of the drivers. Mickey mouse went away.

Ran the plugin remotely. Web gui said I needed to reauthorize. I did. It is working now!!!!

Defaulted to Seattle.

See two of the Alexa devices. Changed them both to local zip code and restarted plugin and still stuck in seattle.

How do I get rid of the second instance?

I shut down the plugin, enabled and reset it. I edited the zip code to local and it worked. I still do not know how to get rid of the old instance though.
Attached Images

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.4449

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT

Last edited by Pete; October 1st, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Fixed.

Deleted all of the sound devices. Rebooted and let windows reload all of the drivers. Mickey mouse went away.

Ran the plugin remotely. Web gui said I needed to reauthorize. I did. It is working now!!!!
cool!

Quote:
Defaulted to Seattle.

See two of the Alexa devices. Changed them both to local zip code and restarted plugin and still stuck in seattle.
it worked for me by changing the zip code from http://alexa.amazon.com/#settings

Quote:
How do I get rid of the second instance?

Is there an INI file that I can edit out the second instance / zip code?
I don't know how to get rid of a device, there does not seem to be a way to delete a device from their web app

it's not something I control, device are automatically created on Amazon side with default zip code in Seattle

I will ask on the developer forum
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:53 PM
OverSeer

Thank you Spud!!!

Really other than the sound issues (which I caused) it is a very plug n play installation.

Well too it works fine with the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit Homeseer 3 mothership.

Alexa ignored me when I asked her to shut off the internet.
Attached Images

Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:03 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
not right now, but it's a feature I want to investigate, i.e use a homeseer speaker client or a media plugin as the speaker for the Alexa plugin

That will be amazing!!!
Old October 4th, 2015, 08:05 AM
OverSeer

Spud, I have been playing with Alexa with a Kinect device for the past week. I have fond that Alexa understands most of my questions but with other it misinterprets the questions. But the most that bothers me is, if I ask let's say a news brief and I want it to stop or pause, it does not respond to my commands and keeps chatting away. Does this happens to be a mic problem with Kinect?
BLDSC,BLstat,BLRadar,BLRamdom,BLOccupied
BLups,BLrain8,HSTouch,Ultrajones Weatherbug,
MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
AP800,Honeywell Stat
Old October 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Seer

Hi Spud,

Thanks for your great work! I want to get in on the Alexa Plugin too, but having trouble getting the plug-in installed. I followed the installation instructions you provided and all goes well until I try to install it from the manage plug-ins page. Here is what I'm getting: "Install/Update of package Alexa failed."

I'm running HS3 Pro on Windows XP PRO Service Pack 3. Any ideas of what's happening here?
Old October 5th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Seer

Quote:
This plugin is designed to interface HomeSeer with the Alexa Voice Service. It allows to use Alexa with any microphone and speakers connected to your Windows machine (i.e. a replacement for the Echo device)

Please report any bug.

Please read the User Guide before installing.

Installation:
  • download the zip attached to this post and save it in the HS3 application folder in /updates3/zips
  • download the file named updater_override.txt attached to this post and save it in the HS3 application folder.
  • go to the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page and click the "Update Listing" button, then click "Additional interfaces > Test Plugin" and check the Alexa line.
  • click the "Download and Install" button
  • enable the plugin from the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page
  • delete updater_override.txt from your HS3 application folder

Changes to v3.0.0.1:
- Fixed plugin shutdown
- Display a message error in config page when Microsoft Server Speech Platform Runtime x86 is not installed.
Spud,

I'm having trouble installing Alexa Plug-in. From the manage plug-ins page I get the error "Download/Installation failed.

Any suggestions?
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klbetts View Post
Spud,

I'm having trouble installing Alexa Plug-in. From the manage plug-ins page I get the error "Download/Installation failed.

Any suggestions?
Look in the logs to get more information about what went wrong
A typical mistake is to put the zip in the wrong directory, it must be in Updates3/Zips
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:46 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
Spud, I have been playing with Alexa with a Kinect device for the past week. I have fond that Alexa understands most of my questions but with other it misinterprets the questions. But the most that bothers me is, if I ask let's say a news brief and I want it to stop or pause, it does not respond to my commands and keeps chatting away. Does this happens to be a mic problem with Kinect?
Bump
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
this is probably a bug in the plugin, I will have a look and let you know.
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Seer Deluxe

Add options for News Brief

Hi,

You can add additional topics for the daily 'news brief' to Alexa.

Go to your Amazon Alexa and Settings --> Then under Account select Flash Briefing.

You will be presented with options to toggle On/Off additional items such as Sports, Weather, etc.

Works great.

FYI...you can get to the Amazon Alexa setting by using this link:
http://alexa.amazon.com/#settings
Attached Images

Old October 6th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Seer

Quote:
Look in the logs to get more information about what went wrong
A typical mistake is to put the zip in the wrong directory, it must be in Updates3/Zips
Spud,

Thanks for the assistance on the Plug-In. I downloaded the file twice without realizing it so the downloader changed the name of the file.

"My Bad"!!!

Thanks again.
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:29 PM

FYI, the Alexa plugin is now in the updater in the "User Interfaces" section
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Seer

Quote:
Spud,

Thanks for the assistance on the Plug-In. I downloaded the file twice without realizing it so the downloader changed the name of the file.

"My Bad"!!!

Thanks again.
Spud,

Do you have to purchase a device, for example the Echo to use the Alexa Voice Service or can I pay for the service without a device?

Thanks....
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Spud,

Do you have to purchase a device, for example the Echo to use the Alexa Voice Service or can I pay for the service without a device?

Thanks....
You don't have to purchase a device to use the Alexa Voice Service, and the service is completely free.
Old October 8th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Seer Deluxe

Is there a way to use it with the Echo?
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgyomber View Post
Is there a way to use it with the Echo?
This is something that would be used instead of an Echo. It's not a plug in that allows the echo to control homeseer, it's a plug in that allows spoken commands to homeseer to be sent to Amazon's Voice Service and for the response to be spoken through your speaker client.

Basically it allows audio input and output to Amazon's Alexa service from homeseer, rather than the mic and speakers on an Echo.

If you are asking if you could speak through Homeseer and have the response come from the Echo, or vice versa, that currently isn't possible with what Amazon has released. The same client you speak to is what responds.
Old October 8th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Thank you Spud!!!

Really other than the sound issues (which I caused) it is a very plug n play installation.

Well too it works fine with the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit Homeseer 3 mothership.

Alexa ignored me when I asked her to shut off the internet.
I wonder if the response is trying to tell you something, what is the internet and what is Morality, i.e. what is the morality of trying to shut off the internet
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:20 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Yes this is one of the goal. It is supposed to work right now, but I haven''t tested a remote instance so far. I will test and add some instructions to the user guide
I am attempting to try to set a remote instance from a Windows 10 box about 150 miles away from my home....

I expect that the current command line does not pass user and password or could be that I don't know the format. I suppose I need something like

HSPI_Alexa.exe server=www.xxxx.com:81 user=yyy password=zzz instance = ColumbusApt

Possible or even with credentials likely not to work?

Chris

Plugins :BLBackup:,Pushover 3P:,Wiimote:Winery,HSTV:,Insteon:,PHLocation:,drhsIpPlugIn:, UltraNetatmoWelcome3:,UltraSighthoundVideo3:,Vista Alarm:,UltraCID3:,Random:,EasyTrigger:,iAutomate RFID:,FitbitSeer:,Z-Wave:,HSTouch Server:,weatherXML:,Sonos:,Restart:,UltraGCIR3:,UltraPioneer AVR3:JowiHue;WiiMote;MyQ
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdelong View Post
I am attempting to try to set a remote instance from a Windows 10 box about 150 miles away from my home....

I expect that the current command line does not pass user and password or could be that I don't know the format. I suppose I need something like

HSPI_Alexa.exe server=www.xxxx.com:81 user=yyy password=zzz instance = ColumbusApt

Possible or even with credentials likely not to work?

Chris
the command line is
HSPI_Alexa.exe server=<ip_of_your_hs_machine> instance=<instance_name>

see

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...47#post1202047

a remote plugin communicate with the hs3 machine on port 10400, so you just need to pass the ip of your hs3 machine as the parameter and make sure it is accessible from your remote location on port 10400.

let me know how it goes, I never tried to run a remote plugin from a non local network location.