www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > HomeSeer Zigbee Plug-in

HomeSeer Zigbee Plug-in Discussions relating to the Zigbee plug-in

Old January 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Ok, just posting what I know works just in case others are interested in the solutions. There is a battery operated Z-Wave switch that looks just like a wall switch and can be mounted anywhere. It is expensive but does what you want, comes in different colors also:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...54202118<br />

It can be associated directly with HomeSeer or with other Z-Wave devices.

Remember that Wink is cloud based so using it with IFTTT to control Zigbee devices is a pretty complicated solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan View Post
Ok. I hadn't actually purchased one of these Lightify ones, so I haven't seen it. I did pick up the Lutron (Zigbee) connected light remote (only $22). . .which looks great, but it says it only works with Wink, and I couldn't get anything to recognize it with the Lightify app, so I returned it. I actually saw the Wink hub at HD for $39, so maybe I just need one of those and connect it with HS over IFTTT. Then I can get Zigbee connectivity to non-lightbulb devices.

As far as the cooper device. It actually does not fill the same niche. I and many others are looking for a switch that can be mounted anywhere and doesn't need to be hardwired into electricity. The new GE smart remotes (which seem to be actual vaporware) would fill this niche.

website | products | support | youtube

Last edited by rjh; January 25th, 2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Ok, just posting what I know works just in case others are interested in the solutions. There is a battery operated Z-Wave switch that looks just like a wall switch and can be mounted anywhere. It is expensive but does what you want, comes in different colors also:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=27775039302

Remember that Wink is cloud based so using it with IFTTT to control Zigbee devices is a pretty complicated solution!

I have a couple of these and they are pretty good, but you need to setup polling to keep them in sync when using them with a master dimmer - even the HS WD100+ instant status dimmer.
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:18 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

We have an update soon for the HS-WD100+ that supports associations directly, so that should solver that issue! The currently shipping units already have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeryfool View Post
I have a couple of these and they are pretty good, but you need to setup polling to keep them in sync when using them with a master dimmer - even the HS WD100+ instant status dimmer.
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

Thank you for posting! I definitely appreciate your advice and insights. I apologize if my comments seem disrespectful or minimize your suggestions. Obviously, I know you have over a decade more experience with these products and this industry.

If I had found a ZWave product that could be mounted anywhere and integrate well into HS, I wouldn't still be searching. I agree that using a cloud service like Wink to tie in these remotes is way more complicated than a solution should be and I have always been trying to keep my HA system completely out of the cloud (but even the HS Zigbee plugin is now using a cloud service). Unfortunately, it appears that ZWave still needs more solutions for this use case (and I hope HS can put some pressure on GE to actually produce their smart remotes - order some if possible).

I have seen this latest product you have suggested and intended to try it, but still haven't. It appears it would be a good solution if I was trying to mount a switch at a location that would replace a wired switch (with a neutral wire). I have been hoping to mount a switch without needing new electrical wires run.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give advice!
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
We have an update soon for the HS-WD100+ that supports associations directly, so that should solver that issue! The currently shipping units already have it.

Great news Rich. I guess those 2 switches will be my first firmware updates on the WD100+ when you release this.
Old January 25th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Great news Rich. I guess those 2 switches will be my first firmware updates on the WD100+ when you release this.
Nice. I'll have to check to see if the ones I just received last week have the latest. Then I'll have to figure out how to use this feature.

Does this functionality exist on the switch models as well? It would be great to be able to associate these directly with some of the Aoetec micro switches I have up above some switchless ceiling lights.

I also expect to install the GE ZWave Fan control up in the canopy in a couple rooms in the next few weeks. It was the only solution I could find for ZWave control of a fan with only a one-gang switch box. Switch will be WD100+ with double tab connected to fan speed. . .lol. Hopefully it all works. . .otherwise, Hunter's BT Simpleconnect might get installed.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

Doesn't the jowihue plugin work with hue remotes? That doesn't rely on the cloud and those are pretty nice looking remotes.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.318) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:12 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Sorry, I linked the wrong switch. The one I was referring to is battery powered and includes double sided tape so you can stick anywhere. Here is the correct link:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=22854202118

Quote:
Thank you for posting! I definitely appreciate your advice and insights. I apologize if my comments seem disrespectful or minimize your suggestions. Obviously, I know you have over a decade more experience with these products and this industry.

If I had found a ZWave product that could be mounted anywhere and integrate well into HS, I wouldn't still be searching. I agree that using a cloud service like Wink to tie in these remotes is way more complicated than a solution should be and I have always been trying to keep my HA system completely out of the cloud (but even the HS Zigbee plugin is now using a cloud service). Unfortunately, it appears that ZWave still needs more solutions for this use case (and I hope HS can put some pressure on GE to actually produce their smart remotes - order some if possible).

I have seen this latest product you have suggested and intended to try it, but still haven't. It appears it would be a good solution if I was trying to mount a switch at a location that would replace a wired switch (with a neutral wire). I have been hoping to mount a switch without needing new electrical wires run.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give advice!
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:19 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Yes, both the dimmer and switch support associations with the latest shipping units. (anything shipped in Jan)

Quote:
Nice. I'll have to check to see if the ones I just received last week have the latest. Then I'll have to figure out how to use this feature.

Does this functionality exist on the switch models as well? It would be great to be able to associate these directly with some of the Aoetec micro switches I have up above some switchless ceiling lights.

I also expect to install the GE ZWave Fan control up in the canopy in a couple rooms in the next few weeks. It was the only solution I could find for ZWave control of a fan with only a one-gang switch box. Switch will be WD100+ with double tab connected to fan speed. . .lol. Hopefully it all works. . .otherwise, Hunter's BT Simpleconnect might get installed.
Old January 25th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Seer Master

While on the topic of z-wave switches, any idea when the GE z-wave battery powered switches shown at CES will be available?
Old January 26th, 2017, 02:37 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrichar View Post
Doesn't the jowihue plugin work with hue remotes? That doesn't rely on the cloud and those are pretty nice looking remotes.
Yes but the bridge needs polling. Hence there can be up to 2 seconds delay in my setup.

Regards
Morten
Old January 26th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Sorry, I linked the wrong switch. The one I was referring to is battery powered and includes double sided tape so you can stick anywhere. Here is the correct link:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=22854202118
Thanks! That one could fit the need. I'll have to try one at some point.
Old January 26th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrichar View Post
While on the topic of z-wave switches, any idea when the GE z-wave battery powered switches shown at CES will be available?
Lol. . .yes, I wish we knew too.
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Thanks! That one could fit the need. I'll have to try one at some point.

And this is the one I knew Rich was talking about before and therefore I was responding about . I didn't check the link either.
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hi Rich,

I did as instructed and setup my schedules in the app as well as a couple extra schedules in the app. For each one (on/off & on/dim/off) the lights came on correctly and went off correctly. I next day, I then deleted them in the app and turned back on one of them in HS and created one new one in HS (just in case mine was bad). In both cases, if I put both bulbs in the same event (if time = X; turn on Y and turn on Z) the lights come on correctly, but if I put both bulbs in the same event to turn them off, then every time, only 1 goes off (even though the log shows both going off).

Michael

BTW - I still have the issue is you add a new bulb the only way to have it created is by going in to the config and hitting the Create New Devices button, but this then creates devices for ALL items and then I have doubles of what I already had.

Quote:
As a test can you disable the events in HomeSeer and then use the Lightify App to set your schedule. See if that works ok. If not, then we know its a communication issue with the hub to the bulb. If its ok, then it must be something with how the plugin is commanding the bulb. I don't know if the schedule is set in the hub or if its controlled by the cloud service.
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:52 AM
Seer Deluxe

Wemo Link support

I currently have several strands of the Osram Lightify Gardenspot lights and purchased a Wemo Link hub to pair with them. The reason that I went with the Wemo Link is that there is some work being done on software that presents a REST bridge for WeMo. https://github.com/unrelatedlabs/java-wemo-bridge This software allowed specially crafted URLs to control the lights locally and some were using Homeseer to control the lights directly via this software bridge without relying on the Internet. https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176323

I couldn't get the java bridge to work on my Windows or Ubuntu machines and so have been stuck using ITTT to turn off/on my Osram Lightify Gardenspots.

Also, from Belkin's site, it appears that they have dropped support for their SDK in favor of UPnP support. http://developers.belkin.com/wemo/sdk

Here is a link to a user that was using UPnP to discover, poll, and control devices connected to the WeMo Link. https://objectpartners.com/2014/03/2...upnp-and-wemo/ and here's another that's using SOAP/UPnP to control the devices https://www.hardill.me.uk/wordpress/...o-light-bulbs/ and https://www.rilhia.com/tutorials/usi...in-wemo-switch

Is there anyway that you guys could add support for the Wemo Link hub using the SOAP/UPnP commands? This could be a way to discover the WeMo Link, discover any devices on it and create the devices in Homeseer and then have local control of any device that connects to this hub.
Old February 1st, 2017, 04:36 AM
OverSeer

I can't dim my Osram Zigbee bulb. Am I the only one?
HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!
Old February 8th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
In regards to the switch, it can only be used to control devices locally. Unfortunately it does not send any information to its online database so we cannot tell if the switch is on or off, or if it is ever pressed.

So we cannot support the switch.

What you can do is monitor the device that the switch is controlling and if it changes state, you know the switch was pressed.

I would just use Z-Wave, you can use this, which does the same thing and is wall mountable:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=20303474822
Not Zigbee question, but related to this GoControl product.

So, I got my GoControl out of the box tonight to test. . .

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working? The LED is not lighting up at all and when I try to add a new node, HS immediately says it found a node 65 (actually an already existing HSM200) and that there are no new nodes. . .

Add Node started...
Activate the 'Add to Network' function on the device...
DONE - Add Node Operation is Complete.
Done. Node 65 Added.
Reloading (importing) node information...
Synchronizing node information with HomeSeer and creating new device(s) as necessary...
Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 0
Finished.

I just pulled out the plastic tab, so I expected the batteries would still work. . .but just in case, I just put in some fresh batteries. . .no change in behavior. I did a Reset and got blinking green lights. Unfortunately, it has been a long time since I purchased this from HS, so not sure where to reach for help.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Not Zigbee question, but related to this GoControl product.

So, I got my GoControl out of the box tonight to test. . .

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working? The LED is not lighting up at all and when I try to add a new node, HS immediately says it found a node 65 (actually an already existing HSM200) and that there are no new nodes. . .

Add Node started...

Activate the 'Add to Network' function on the device...

DONE - Add Node Operation is Complete.

Done. Node 65 Added.

Reloading (importing) node information...

Synchronizing node information with HomeSeer and creating new device(s) as necessary...

Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 0

Finished.

I just pulled out the plastic tab, so I expected the batteries would still work. . .but just in case, I just put in some fresh batteries. . .no change in behavior. I did a Reset and got blinking green lights. Unfortunately, it has been a long time since I purchased this from HS, so not sure where to reach for help.

Try deleting it first. Often Z-wave devices seem to ship thinking that they are already included in a Z-wave network. Hopefully that's all it needs. Then add it and it should get assigned a higher, vacant node ID. If that works, I would check the setup of your HSM200 just in case it got corrupted.
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Try deleting it first. Often Z-wave devices seem to ship thinking that they are already included in a Z-wave network. Hopefully that's all it needs. Then add it and it should get assigned a higher, vacant node ID. If that works, I would check the setup of your HSM200 just in case it got corrupted.
Good idea. I don't remember actually trying that. . .