Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup homeseer email to send and receive from gmail account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to setup homeseer email to send and receive from gmail account?

I have looked on the internet and in this forum and still haven't found conclusive answeres as to how to setup homeseer e-mail settings to send and receive e-mails to and from my google gmail account. I am mostly interested in how to send e-mails to my gmail account from homeseer events.

Would also like to send e-mails to homeseer but not sure what the real value would be when one is using MyHs Remote Access. If anyone has any ideas on when you would need to send e-mails to homeseer with event triggers, etc. I would be interested to hear. I am sure there are but can't think of them at the moment....Thanks much for all your help !!!! Rick

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
    I have looked on the internet and in this forum and still haven't found conclusive answeres as to how to setup homeseer e-mail settings to send and receive e-mails to and from my google gmail account. I am mostly interested in how to send e-mails to my gmail account from homeseer events.

Would also like to send e-mails to homeseer but not sure what the real value would be when one is using MyHs Remote Access. If anyone has any ideas on when you would need to send e-mails to homeseer with event triggers, etc. I would be interested to hear. I am sure there are but can't think of them at the moment....Thanks much for all your help !!!! Rick
    I put this in a while back. Gmail has to have a special pw. See this post and you might give it a try. https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...92&postcount=3

Comment

Cowinger,
      Thanks much, and I will try this and let you know how it goes....Rick

Comment

Cowinger,

I selected my gmail account from google icon on my android cell phone and found no sign in and security settings. I am always logged into google e-mail and don't see any logout message. I also went to www.gmail.com and found no login or sign in and security settings. When I went to www.gmail.com it shows both of my e-mail accounts on my phone. One is gmail account and the other is my hotmail account. Why does my hotmail account show up on gmail website? Either way I am seeing no login or logout options and no sign in or security selections. Not real crazy about google's email website. Any further help is much appreciated !!!!! Thanks for the continued help !!!!! Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
          Cowinger,

I selected my gmail account from google icon on my android cell phone and found no sign in and security settings. I am always logged into google e-mail and don't see any logout message. I also went to www.gmail.com and found no login or sign in and security settings. When I went to www.gmail.com it shows both of my e-mail accounts on my phone. One is gmail account and the other is my hotmail account. Why does my hotmail account show up on gmail website? Either way I am seeing no login or logout options and no sign in or security selections. Not real crazy about google's email website. Any further help is much appreciated !!!!! Thanks for the continued help !!!!! Rick
          You have to do this from a computer not a phone. Go to http://mail dot google dot com/ and login to your gmail account. Follow the previous instructions (post #2) from there.

Comment

Thanks again, I will give it a try and post the results.....Rick

Comment

Just a note: I set up a second gmail account just for the HomeSeer install. I set that up in HomeSeer as the account and I send to and from it instead of my personal gmail account. This way all my HomeSeer items are segregated and I don't have to do any filtering, etc. So any email I get regarding something from HomeSeer comes from "the house" and my wife and I both know instantly that it is something about the house itself.

My apologies if I am misunderstanding but I read your posts to suggest you are looking to have HomeSeer send to the same account it is sending from and to send commands to that same account.

Karl
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

To look up a domain's mail server(s), use this command from a Windows cmd window or Linux shell prompt:

Code:
                > nslookup -query=mx gmail.com
                Non-authoritative answer:
                Server:  UnKnown
                Address:  192.168.1.1

gmail.com       MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
                gmail.com       MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
                gmail.com       MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
                gmail.com       MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
                gmail.com       MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
                Generally, pick the one with the lowest preference number.

Just verified the following servers working (on HS3 .368)
                aspmx.l.google.com
                gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
                mail.twc.com (my ISP)
                Attached Files

Comment

Ksum,

I like your idea. Can you create an e-mail account with homeseer in the name for easy identification?
                  How many free gmail accounts can one have? Would you mind sharing how you set everything up in homeseer both for sending and receiving? Thanks for all the help !!!! Rick

Comment

I do not know if there is a limit on the number of accounts one can have. I have 5 and others, such as my parent's are associated with the same information. I personally would not put homeseer in but I do not know of any limitations that would stop you. I used my street name and last name. You could put your street number and name as well. You can also have the From as something other than the email address itself, so you could have the email as 1234MyStreet@gmail... and the From read "Your House" instead of the address. Set the From name in gmail when you create the account. (You can also change it later.)

From a web browser you can go to gmail and in the top right select your avatar (may be a letter for your name) and under that menu item select Add Account. Then select the option to create a new account.

I set the account up to allow less secure apps but you could also use the other steps which cowinger linked to giving you a second password. That method also allows you to use 2 factor authentication for most access. You can find the settings under myaccount.google.com Just use the avatar at the top right to make sure you are logged into the correct account.

In HomeSeer I went under Tools->Setup and then to the E-Mail tab I checked the Use Gmail box and under Username put everything except the @gmail.com from the new email account. I then put the password in. Many of the boxes will be grey now since you have the Use Gmail box checked. Go down to the Default "To" and put your other account in there. Create a Default Subject and Message. All three of these can be changed in any Events that send an email. I then checked the Check E-Mail box and set the interval to 10 minutes. Anything we may command via an email shouldn't need anything less than this and I may up it to 15 or even 30 for no reason other than I can.

I then created a manual event that only sent an email and ran it to test the settings.

Be sure to set your Events which trigger any action via email to only work from specific emails and have fun!.

Others will probably point out the reasons for going more secure with this. The settings shown in zwolfpack's message show how a more secure setup might look. I have the gmail account configured to use a cell phone number and one of my other gmail accounts for recovery, etc. Since it is just a service account and mostly used to send outgoing messages, I am OK with this level of security. (Until I read those reasons, perhaps...)
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Cowinger,

I logged into my gmail account on laptop and went to the site you suggested. I went to sign in and security and found no "Select App Passwords" I have no apps with account access and again no "Select App Passwords" selection. Not sure where to go from here with the link you provided in previous post on how to setup a password in gmail for access by homeseer. Any further help is much appreciated !!!!!! Rick

Comment

I too tried to follow the instructions to no avail. I was on my PC but the wording on the screens is completely different. I did see an apps page but nowhere could I do anything that looked like what I should be doing.

So for now, I'm using my cable provider email. It's OK but I would rather gmail.

Comment

Cowinger,

As Recerfern mentioned he had the same problem I have in accessing the gmail site for sign in and security settings. Would it be possible for you to visit the site so you can see what we are seeing? They may have changed the site since you were last on their site to do the tutorial? Thanks again for your further help !!!! As Recerfern mentioned I would really like to use gmail account with homeseer. Does look like they changed their site since you were last there to create tutorial........Rick

Comment

Search for "google app password" gets you here. Following "How to generate an App password" takes you to https://security.google.com/settings...y/apppasswords
                            but for me I get a page that says "The setting you are looking for is not available for your account." This may be because I have "sign in using my phone" turned on, or perhaps "two-factor auth" turned off... You may be in the same boat.

Comment

OK, here is the instructions.

1. Log into your gmail account you want to use on a computer
                              2. Upper right corner click on gear
                              3. select help
                              4. type in "app passwords", click on "How to Generate an App Password"
                              5. click on blue link
                              6. select app and select a choice or other and give a name
                              7. select device and select a choice or other and give a name
                              8. hit generate (use this as your pw)

Repeat below of steps 5-8

How to generate an App password
                              1. Visit your App Passwords page. You may be asked to sign in to your Google Account.
                              2. At the bottom, click Select app and choose the app you’re using.
                              3. Click Select device and choose the device you’re using.
                              4. Select Generate.
                              5. Follow the instructions to enter the App password (the 16 character code in the yellow bar) on your device.
                              6. Select Done.

Once you are finished, you won’t see that App password code again. However, you will see a list of apps and devices you’ve created App passwords for
                              Last edited by cowinger; April 11, 2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X