Limit devices shown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limit devices shown?

Is it possible to control which devices the discovery process sees? I have a lot of lutron devices, like keypads and remotes, that I don't need the echo to see. I have the voice box unchecked

Just to clarify when you say Voice box unchecked, you mean the "Voice command" checkbox on the first tab of the Device configuration? That should be all you need for discovery to not see the device.

Note that you can change that config in bulk for many devices by selecting the checkbox on the left side of the device page for the devices you want to change, then in the pull down list in the upper left select Enable Voice or Disable Voice. I selected all devices and disabled, then selected the specific devices I wanted Alexa to see and Enabled those.

Comment

That's exactly my point. I have a device that had the 'Voice Command:' checkbox disabled (unchecked). It was still being picked up by device discovery in the Alexa app.

I've since gone through and filtered the view to just the Lutron Pico devices. Then I used drop-down to Disable Voice across all of them. Doing this does not appear to remove them from the Alexa database.

Ok, so I used the Alexa app to forget all devices.

Re-discovering them did not happen very quickly. Not right away, not 5 minutes nor 10... I came back a half-hour later and HS devices had finally been discovered. This time it successfully avoided importing the unwanted devices.

It might be fair to say that unless you're using voice it might be worth selecting all and disabling voice for everything. That way you can avoid importing a lot of what you don't want and having to re-do a lot.

Comment

When you say rediscovering them did not happen very quickly, did you ask Alexa to discover your devices, or were you relying on it to try to automatically discover things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DeLicious View Post
          When you say rediscovering them did not happen very quickly, did you ask Alexa to discover your devices, or were you relying on it to try to automatically discover things?
          I was using the app to manually initiate a discovery.

I'm assuming the discovery is being made via the cloud interfaces? Not by direct, local interaction between the Echo and devices on that same network. So I'm guessing there's some potential for cloud congestion/delays.

I did not check the logs, nor make note of the time I made the request in the app. If there's delays again in the future I'll make notes and report back.

I was not aware discovery could be initiated by voice. I'll have to give that a try.

Comment

Working...
          X