Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick

I am getting the following error.

Oct-30 6:29:52 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.

The polling interval is set for 5000 and the above error shows up ever 5 seconds. The only way I can clear the error is reboot the pc.

After reboot, the system may run for 4 or 5 days at the most before it starts failing again. Sometimes just a few minutes. I don't know for sure when this started but it may have been after I updated HS3 Pro Edition to 3.0.0.297.

I am using a TI103 on a usb to serial port 9. My x10 plugin is at version 3.0.0.36.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The Ti103 does not alert the plugin when it receives X10 data on the powerline. Instead the plugin must periodically ask (poll) the Ti103 if it has received new X10 data on the powerline. The 'poll timer' is what triggers the plugin to ask the Ti103 to do this and the poll timer setting is in MilliSeconds. So a setting of 5000 means the plugin will only ask the Ti for new data every 5 seconds.

Setting this to a value greater than 300 means your system will become less responsive to receiving X10 data.

Setting this to a value less than 300 could cause potential issues and missed data from the Ti103.

300 is the recommended Poll Timer setting (despite it being set to a default of 4000 in the plugin).

Please try changing your poll timer to 300 and let us know what happens.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Thanks Mark. I changed the poll timer setting to 300. I will have to wait about a week to see if it solves my problem.

Comment

Problem showed up again yesterday afternoon.

Nov-05 3:02:03 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
        Nov-05 3:02:03 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
        Nov-05 3:02:04 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
        Nov-05 3:02:04 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.

Walt

Comment

Hi Walt,

Looking at the code this does not seem to be a critical error and the plugin should continue to operate normally. When the error occurs the plugin should handle the error on the next character received from the Ti103.

Are you noticing any issues with receiving or sending X10 commands?

Does this occur when a lot of X10 traffic is being sent/received?

Does it occur when a specific address or command is received?

What type of system are you running HS3 on (PC, Windows XX, Linux, R-Pi, etc.)?
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
            Hi Walt,

Looking at the code this does not seem to be a critical error and the plugin should continue to operate normally. When the error occurs the plugin should handle the error on the next character received from the Ti103.

Are you noticing any issues with receiving or sending X10 commands?

Does this occur when a lot of X10 traffic is being sent/received?

Does it occur when a specific address or command is received?

What type of system are you running HS3 on (PC, Windows XX, Linux, R-Pi, etc.)?
            I have had x10 issues from the beginning. I think I started using Homeseer in 2003. I have put bridges between 220 lines in breaker box. I have a x10 box that controls my pool pump and it also has a bridge. I have installed a filter at every outlet that has electronics plugged into it. I have installed in line filters on 4 outlets that have pc, laptop, or tv. I have moved some x10 devices from L1 to L2 and vise versa.

I do not know about traffic.
            I do not see a pattern of using certain address or command.

The last 5 errors started at:
            10/14/2016 12:31 PM
            10/19/2016 1:02 PM
            10/24/2016 3:00 AM
            10/29/2016 9:27 PM
            11/5/2016 3:02 PM
            No pattern there.
            The only way to clear error is reboot. Closing HS3 and restarting does not clear the error.

I am running HS3 on a pc using windows 10.

Comment

Is there any chance the TI 103 is malfunctioning?
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yes, it can be tricky to get X10 working reliably given all the 'noise makers' and 'signal suckers' that exist on our electrical systems today. I have X10 filters installed on almost everything that is not X10: A/V equipment, PCs & laptops, refrigerator, garage door opener, fluorescent lights and any wall-wart switching power supply (cell phone chargers, etc.). This has brought my noise levels down to 6-9mV and reliability to about 95%. I still have occasional mystery issues that I attribute to the X10 devices themselves.

Thanks for the info on your PC. BTW, what are the specs (processor, speed, memory) of the PC you're running HS on?

Are you running any other software on this PC?

Does the X10 plugin continue to send and receive when this error shows up or does X10 stop working in HS?
                Last edited by mfisher; March 26, 2017, 08:09 PM.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  I don't believe so. This error "the requested resource is in use" points to either the com port being locked (by another app) or the receive buffer (owned by the plugin) being locked by another plugin thread. The fact that Walt has to reboot the machine rather than restarting HS to clear the error points me toward a com port conflict. If it was an internal plugin issue restarting HS or just the plugin would clear the error.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    It may be a problem, but the only way I would know is to replace it, and I am not going to put anymore money in x10...

Comment

Thanks for the info on your PC. BTW, what are the specs (processor, speed, memory) of the PC you're running HS on?

Are you running any other software on this PC?

Does the X10 plugin continue to send and receive when this error shows up or does X10 stop working in HS?
                      Processor Intel Premium CPU 3220, 3.0 ghz.

8 gb memory, 64 bit operating system.

Yes, I am running a Davis weather station.

X10 stops working after error shows up.

Comment

I don't believe so. This error "the requested resource is in use" points to either the com port being locked (by another app) or the receive buffer (owned by the plugin) being locked by another plugin thread. The fact that Walt has to reboot the machine rather than restarting HS to clear the error points me toward a com port conflict. If it was an internal plugin issue restarting HS or just the plugin would clear the error.
                        I have tried 4 different com ports over the last 3 months. I would reset all com ports and reassign com port numbers.

Comment

I bought this pc about 3 yrs ago and about 6-9 months after that, the serial ports stopped working. All the usb to serial are good, but the hardware serial ports no longer work. This error just showed up about 1-2 months ago.

Just putting this out as more information.

Comment

Thanks for the details on your PC.

The next time this happens, would you please try this test:
                            1) Enable 'Developer Mode' on the 'Manage Plugins' page.
                            2) Disable the X10 plugin in HS (do not shutdown HS).
                            3) Re-enable the plugin.
                            4) Try sending and receiving X10 traffic.
                            5) Copy the init and any relevant plugin entries from the HS log and post here.

Earlier you mentioned that restarting HS did not resolve the issue and you had to reboot the PC which points to an issue with the COM port. Let's investigate this a bit further...

6) Open the Windows Device Manager (Windows key + X, then Device Manager)
                            7) Expand the list of COM ports (so you can see the port you're using for X10).
                            8) Disable the X10 plugin in HS (do not shutdown HS) & wait for it to finish.
                            9) Unplug the USB->Serial adapter from the PC.
                            10) Verify that the COM port goes away in Device Manager.
                            11) Plug the USB->Serial adapter back in, verify Windows re-enables it and that the port number is correct.
                            12) Enable the X10 plugin in HS.
                            13) Check the HS log and see if the plugin initialized properly.
                            14) Test to see if X10 is working.
                            15) Post all relevant log entries here.

I will be curious to see the results.
                            Best regards,
                            -Mark-

Comment

Thanks for the details on your PC.

The next time this happens, would you please try this test:
                              1) Enable 'Developer Mode' on the 'Manage Plugins' page.
                              2) Disable the X10 plugin in HS (do not shutdown HS).
                              3) Re-enable the plugin.
                              4) Try sending and receiving X10 traffic.
                              5) Copy the init and any relevant plugin entries from the HS log and post here.

Earlier you mentioned that restarting HS did not resolve the issue and you had to reboot the PC which points to an issue with the COM port. Let's investigate this a bit further...

6) Open the Windows Device Manager (Windows key + X, then Device Manager)
                              7) Expand the list of COM ports (so you can see the port you're using for X10).
                              8) Disable the X10 plugin in HS (do not shutdown HS) & wait for it to finish.
                              9) Unplug the USB->Serial adapter from the PC.
                              10) Verify that the COM port goes away in Device Manager.
                              11) Plug the USB->Serial adapter back in, verify Windows re-enables it and that the port number is correct.
                              12) Enable the X10 plugin in HS.
                              13) Check the HS log and see if the plugin initialized properly.
                              14) Test to see if X10 is working.
                              15) Post all relevant log entries here.

I will be curious to see the results.
                              Well it took 37 days to fail again but it finally did..
                              Below is a copy of the log.
                              You can see at 8:51:06 AM I disabled and enabled per you instructions.

When I disabled/disconnect com adapter/enable everything started working. I did not have to reboot (so far anyway).

Nov-25 11:57:49 AM Z-Wave Device: 1st Floor Laundry Room Light Set to 0
                              Nov-25 12:00:00 PM Event Event Trigger "Pool Pool Pump Every 30 min - Copy"
                              Nov-25 12:00:00 PM Event Running script in background: C:/Program Files (x86)/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/PoolPump.vb
                              Nov-25 12:00:00 PM Pool Pump Test StartPumpTime= 11 RunPumpTime= 6
                              Nov-25 12:00:00 PM Device Control Device: Backyard Pool Pool Pump to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                              Nov-25 12:14:02 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-25 12:14:02 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-25 12:14:03 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-25 12:14:03 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-25 12:14:04 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-25 12:14:04 PM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.

Nov-26 8:51:05 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:51:05 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:51:06 AM Plug-In Shutting down Plug-In: X10
                              Nov-26 8:51:06 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
                              Nov-26 8:51:06 AM Info Plugin X10 with instance: has disconnected
                              Nov-26 8:51:23 AM Info Plugin X10 has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:54162
                              Nov-26 8:51:23 AM ACT TI103 Calling initIO in TI103 with port:COM9
                              Nov-26 8:51:23 AM Info TI103 Plug-in, Version 3.0.36
                              Nov-26 8:51:23 AM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in X10
                              Nov-26 8:51:24 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:51:24 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.

Nov-26 8:53:05 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:05 AM X10 ERROR Error in CommThreadLoop:The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:09 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:09 AM X10 ERROR Error in CommThreadLoop:The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:13 AM X10 ERROR Error in CommThreadLoop:The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:17 AM X10 ERROR Error in CommThreadLoop:The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:21 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:22 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.
                              Nov-26 8:53:22 AM X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick :The requested resource is in use.

Comment

Working...
                              X