No announcement yet.

Getting Serious about Motion Detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hijack but this topic has piqued my curiosity enough that I now want to order a bunch of *Eye motion sensors to augment my very expensive hsm-100s.

I was looking at the RFXCOM but can't find a whole lot about it and the *Eye motion detectors beside one user's comments that the frequency width of the RFXCOM was too narrow to work reliably with the sensors.

It seems that most people are using the W800RF? Would this be a good choice? If so, which plugin would be the best for this?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by manxam View Post

It seems that most people are using the W800RF? Would this be a good choice? If so, which plugin would be the best for this?

Cheers!
      Thats the receiver I use with the ACRF-2 plug-in.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have been very happy with my W800 and the ACRF2 plugin, but I have been told by others that the RFXcom plugin is a more full featured plugin and is also still being developed, so you may want to look into that one as well.

I also have a W800RF32 and the custom antenna.

Comment

Thanks Rmason and Chewie for the response. Could you guys let me know what the response times of your X10 motion sensors have been? My HSM100 zwave ($75 each!) are instantaneous and the lights are on before I can even blink. I've heard that with X10 signals are often missed but that the sensors send "on" every 10 seconds so it may take some time to turn on a load/send info to HS.

Chewie, you also mention the RFXCOM but I don't think this supports the W800? There was a post by Dan from Cocoontech asking as such in the rfxcom forum but there was never a response.

Thanks again!

Comment

I am pretty sure that the RFXCom plugin supports the W800 receiver.

My response time is really good, not instant, but pretty close, sub 1 second usually. Although there are occasions where it may lag 2 seconds or so, but it is not enough lag that I notice or that it bothers me.

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
              I am pretty sure that the RFXCom plugin supports the W800 receiver.

My response time is really good, not instant, but pretty close, sub 1 second usually. Although there are occasions where it may lag 2 seconds or so, but it is not enough lag that I notice or that it bothers me.
              I don't think the RFXCOM plug-in supports the W800 unfortunately.

Don

Comment

have 6 Eagle Eyes on the way, and some regulators

I have ordered 6 of the Eagle Eye Motion detectors. My plans are to mod them all to be hard wire-able to 12V power supply, and then to build/ modify them to survive the hard salt air that my environment provides. I have some older Eagle-Eyes here that still work which I am experimenting with now. I am going to disassemble one this morning, and try to seal it from the inside out. I also want to have a closer look at whatever voltage regulator is already on board this unit. Although the Eagle Eye is looking for +3V, many times the tolerance of the rectifier on the unit will handle 12V very nicely. By all means, if you have attempted this in the past, please speak up! Time to go make some smoke!

Comment

What about these?

I stumbled across these this morning, the model PMS01. From the description of these they seem that they have extended wireless range, and seem more geared as a "security" motion detector. It does not send out X10 command directly like the hawkeyes. I have an RFXCOM device and I am pretty sure it would pick this up. I also see that these units use 4 AA batteries (Maybe it will last longer?) has anyone used one of these before?

Great for protecting an area with more than one entry point. Supervised Passive Infrared (PIR) motion detector mounts on the wall and sends RF (Radio Frequency) signals to X10 or Magnavox security consoles only. It has a 40' range and 90-degree arc. Use up to 16 Motion Detectors and/or Door/Window sensors in your system. Selectable delayed or instant alarm, 1 or 2 pulse count for sensitivity control. Complete with adjustable angle wall bracket that installs in seconds with two screws.

• Wall Mounted Motion Detector
                  • Wireless Motion Detector for X10 Security Systems.
                  • X10 Format - Security & Automation for the Professional
                  • Sends radio frequency signals to X10 Security System or Digital Console model PRO2000 in response to motion being detected in the area monitored.
                  • Motion Detector has a special lens that 'looks' downwards for better horizontal view and greater coverage.
                  • Designed with slider selector switch for instant triggering for maximum security or 2-movement trigger switch.
                  • Comes with mounting brackets and installation instructions.
                  • Requires 4 AA batteries.
                  • One Year Manufacturer Warranty
                  Last edited by fdarden; March 13, 2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Hi

Just noticed this thread.

Have you ever tried these ? and do they work with the RFXcom?
                    jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by fdarden View Post
                      I have ordered 6 of the Eagle Eye Motion detectors. My plans are to mod them all to be hard wire-able to 12V power supply, and then to build/ modify them to survive the hard salt air that my environment provides. I have some older Eagle-Eyes here that still work which I am experimenting with now. I am going to disassemble one this morning, and try to seal it from the inside out. I also want to have a closer look at whatever voltage regulator is already on board this unit. Although the Eagle Eye is looking for +3V, many times the tolerance of the rectifier on the unit will handle 12V very nicely. By all means, if you have attempted this in the past, please speak up! Time to go make some smoke!
                      X10 motion detectors do not incorporate voltage regulators on the PCB and are designed to run directly from 3vDC (two AAA batteries.) If you want to run them from 12vDC, you will need to use a small voltage regulator, such as a National Semiconductor LP2950ACZ-3.0/NOPB. Here's a link to this part on DigiKey: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...-3.0-ND/356011

BTW, I typically get 2-4 years of service from a set of batteries on my X10 motion sensors.
                      Best regards,
                      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Another thing to think about that is critical in the equation is what antenna to use and where is it located. I recently changed both antennas and locations and my Hawkeye/Eagleye world is great right now.

The antenna/antenna placement, and "how to wire it" topic is beat to death in a number of threads here, this is the one helped me.
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                          X10 motion detectors do not incorporate voltage regulators on the PCB and are designed to run directly from 3vDC (two AAA batteries.) If you want to run them from 12vDC, you will need to use a small voltage regulator, such as a National Semiconductor LP2950ACZ-3.0/NOPB. Here's a link to this part on DigiKey: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...-3.0-ND/356011

BTW, I typically get 2-4 years of service from a set of batteries on my X10 motion sensors.

Wow. Really? How about high traffic area? I only started automating my home about a month and I finally motion activated my entire house lights. I expect to change batteries hopefully once a year. My motion sensors are mix of MS16A and MS18A and so far they have been absolutely awesome.

Comment

I typically get at least 2 years in high traffic areas.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              I typically get at least 2 years in high traffic areas.
                              That is great to know! Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X