Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarification on Cooper Scene Controller

Folks,

Just to clarify something with the features of the Cooper Scene Controllers. The early versions that we tested did not allow us to set the status of the LED indicators, but the final product does. Previously we had reported that you could not change/set the indicator LEDs.

We have not exposed any way for an end user to set the LEDs, but we are planning on adding that in one of our next beta releases.

To summarize, HomeSeer does change the LED if the scene was activated/deactivated through the HomeSeer device status UI, and we will be providing a method for you to change the LEDs in a near future release.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Fantastico!

So does this mean that I can have an event triggered and if that event turns on/off a virtual device then the controller will reflect the status?

ie..

Controller button 1 used to create a 'device' with a code of A1

My event turns A1 on

Controller button 1 illuminates

If so, then I'll be ordering sooooon....well as soon as I can sell some stuff to fund this switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
      Folks,

we will be providing a method for you to change the LEDs in a near future release.
      I have three of these. What is the method?

I notice that if a button indicator light is on, that is indicated on the device status page. However, if I turn it off on the device status page, it will show as "off" on the device status page, but the indicator light on the button will not go off. If I poll-all-devices, it will again show as ON on the status page.

If I push the actual button itself, the indicator light will go off.

Comment

If you use device command in the event and turn the device corresponding to the button on/off then LED will follow. Also if you push button on the controller then device in HS will update to match the state of the controller button.

Now for this to work you must have set scenes correctly - I took these notes down - not sure what the source is, most likely HS message board post I didn't record:

IMPORTANT: Even if you do not have any devices to add to the scene, because you wish to use the controller button to launch a HomeSeer event, it is still necessary that you click "Save Scene" at the bottom of the page. When you click "Save and Test Scene" and there are no devices in the scene, HomeSeer will still add itself to the scene so that it will know when you press the button and activate the scene. The reason this is not done automatically when the controller is added to HomeSeer is because this screen is also where you can assign a custom Scene ID number to the scene, or you can leave the scene ID as the next unused scene ID that HomeSeer will have already determined for you
        NOTE: Do NOT do any device associations at controller root as part of setting up a scene controller. Work thru scenes GUI in each button Status

Comment

It looks as though HS can *read* the indicator lights to figure out whether they are on or off. Example:

10/16/2013 12:30:14 AM - Z-Wave Update - HomeSeer received a Scene Activation for scene ID 21 from node 23
          10/16/2013 12:38:59 AM - Warning - Received indication of a scene being deactivated on a Cooper controller, but could not get the indicator status. Command will be re-queued. (Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Backdoor SC)
          10/16/2013 12:38:59 AM - Device Update - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Backdoor SC Button 1 Status set to value 0
          10/16/2013 12:38:59 AM - Device Update - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Backdoor SC Button 2 Status set to value 0
          10/16/2013 12:38:59 AM - Device Update - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Backdoor SC Button 3 Status set to value 0
          10/16/2013 12:38:59 AM - Device Update - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Backdoor SC Button 4 Status set to value 0
          10/16/2013 12:38:59 AM - Device Update - Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Backdoor SC Button 5 Status set to value 0

My question is: can HomeSeer also *set* the value of a button's indicator light to be either *on* or *off*? Ultimately, I want to know whether I can instruct HomeSeer to set a particular button indicator to on or off (perhaps using scripts or something). Or is HomeSeer limited to merely reading whether a particular button's indicator is on or off?

Comment

FWIW, this thread tells how to do it: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...53#post1096553

Comment

Yes you control button LED with simple device Action ON/OFF command under events. You could also use zwave command as mentioned in that other thread but I like device action as it makes it just like any other device/switch.

Comment

Cooper Scene Indicator ON/OFF and HS3Touch status

This was my solution to having the scene controller RFWC5 indicators update from the master switch in a 3-way lighting operation.
                AND to have HS3 Touch reflect the status as well.
                Would be interested if anyone has a shorter process than the 3 separate events to do it!
                Attached Files

Comment

I just finished configuring my Cooper Scene controller (1 of 2), and wanted to say thanks for the helpful hints, especially post #4 by Person.
                  Agreed that the best option in HS3 is to skip trying to do Zwave scenes and just use the controller as a trigger for events and for visual feedback (if doing a 3-way style pairing with a load switch).

I created up to four events per button, one each for scene on and scene off triggers from the controller. Some of these control multiple other devices. And some control just one in a ‘virtual’ three-way, these required four events. The additional two are for tracking the state of the actual load switch, as user might walk up to the load switch and press it, and we still want the scene controller to reflect the On or Off state of the load device.

So here is a screen shot of the On/Off event type (just duplicate one and reverse the on vs off states)

And here is one of the tracking events (likewise, just duplicate and flip the Scene on vs Scene off and the device status values).

Because we use HS ‘devices’ for everything, there is no need to poll anything to obtain status, it should always reflect current state. This is the big win vs Zwave scenes.

Here is a sample of the log entries as I tested this setup. I first trigger the scene on the controller, then went to the load switch and manually turned it off. The controller tracked the change in state and turned off Button 1 LED.

Code:
                  Apr-15 11:13:22 AM           Device Control     Device: Main Living Wall Controller1 Button 1 to Scene Off (0)
                  Apr-15 11:13:22 AM           Event     Event Trigger "LR Scene Controllers Track Ext. Garage light switch Off"
                  Apr-15 11:13:22 AM           Z-Wave     Device: Lower Exterior Ext. garage door lights Set to OFF
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Device Control     Device: Main Living Wall Controller1 Button 1 to Scene On (255)
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Event     Event Trigger "LR Scene Controllers Track Ext. Garage light switch On"
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Z-Wave     Device: Lower Exterior Ext. garage door lights Set to 255
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Device Control     Device: Lower Exterior Ext. garage door lights to On (255)
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Event     Event Trigger "LR Scene Controllers Ext. Garage lights on"
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Z-Wave     Device: Z-Wave Node 62 Z-Wave Interface Cooper Wiring Scene Controller Button 1 Node 62 Child Set to Scene On
                  Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Z-Wave     Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                    FWIW, this thread tells how to do it: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...53#post1096553
                    I wish I knew what happened to that thread, or at least remembered what it said. It seems to have vaporized, ala 1984
                    Last edited by NeverDie; April 15, 2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonFo View Post
                      I just finished configuring my Cooper Scene controller (1 of 2), and wanted to say thanks for the helpful hints, especially post #4 by Person.
                      Agreed that the best option in HS3 is to skip trying to do Zwave scenes and just use the controller as a trigger for events and for visual feedback (if doing a 3-way style pairing with a load switch).

I created up to four events per button, one each for scene on and scene off triggers from the controller. Some of these control multiple other devices. And some control just one in a ‘virtual’ three-way, these required four events. The additional two are for tracking the state of the actual load switch, as user might walk up to the load switch and press it, and we still want the scene controller to reflect the On or Off state of the load device.

So here is a screen shot of the On/Off event type (just duplicate one and reverse the on vs off states)

And here is one of the tracking events (likewise, just duplicate and flip the Scene on vs Scene off and the device status values).

Because we use HS ‘devices’ for everything, there is no need to poll anything to obtain status, it should always reflect current state. This is the big win vs Zwave scenes.

Here is a sample of the log entries as I tested this setup. I first trigger the scene on the controller, then went to the load switch and manually turned it off. The controller tracked the change in state and turned off Button 1 LED.

Code:
                      Apr-15 11:13:22 AM           Device Control     Device: Main Living Wall Controller1 Button 1 to Scene Off (0)
                      Apr-15 11:13:22 AM           Event     Event Trigger "LR Scene Controllers Track Ext. Garage light switch Off"
                      Apr-15 11:13:22 AM           Z-Wave     Device: Lower Exterior Ext. garage door lights Set to OFF
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Device Control     Device: Main Living Wall Controller1 Button 1 to Scene On (255)
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Event     Event Trigger "LR Scene Controllers Track Ext. Garage light switch On"
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Z-Wave     Device: Lower Exterior Ext. garage door lights Set to 255
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Device Control     Device: Lower Exterior Ext. garage door lights to On (255)
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Event     Event Trigger "LR Scene Controllers Ext. Garage lights on"
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Z-Wave     Device: Z-Wave Node 62 Z-Wave Interface Cooper Wiring Scene Controller Button 1 Node 62 Child Set to Scene On
                      Apr-15 11:11:54 AM           Z-Wave     Received a Scene Activation for Scene ID 1
                      Which versions of HS3 and the Z-wave plug-in are you using? I haven't budged in a while, but if there is a new stable configuration I'd upgrade and try your method.

Comment

I'm running HS3 3.0.163 and the .150 version of the ZWave plug in.

I have >100 zwave nodes on the network, and its been pretty reliable.

I did recently get an HSM200 sensor, so to add that I'll be updating today to the latest Beta Zwave plug in. Will report back how that goes.

Comment

Warning

WARNING! If you already have this controller installed and configured in your system, be very careful if planning to upgrade from .150 of the zwave plugin to a newer version, as of .216, it looks like they broke upgrade support for the Cooper Controller. See details over here on the ZWave Beta plugin discussion. http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...&postcount=207

I believe if you have .216 and *then* add one of these controllers, you wll be fine. Just watch out for the spurious polling config it might add.

All that said, after much grief (documented in that other thread), I'm finally operational again. But not a happy camper.
                          Last edited by JonFo; April 18, 2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Updates for latest Zwave plugin

Also, there are some changes introduced in .216 that affects some of the advice given above in post #4.

When in the zwave tab, you will now need to first click 'add' next to the "Add a Device to control" drop down. Homeseer is the default, so after you click add, you should see a new entry in the area right above this control showing that HS will be sent an 'On'.

Click 'Save and test', and you should be done creating the association between that button and HS.

So the sequence to get one of these set up with the latest would be:

1. Power up the controller
                            2. Include with the Zwave plugin
                            3. Find the new device (root + 5 child device nodes) in the devices view
                            4. For each child device:
                            4.a Set the name, floor, room info
                            4.b on the Zwave tab, expand the 'settings' section (take a second to get the info from the device)
                            4.c Click the 'Add' next to the "Add a Device to control" drop down. (wait for the device to be set)
                            4.d Verify that Homeseer is now listed as set to receive an ON (in the area just above the 'add a device to control')
                            4.e Click the 'Save and Test' button
                            4.f click 'Done' at the bottom of the device panel to return to device list view
                            5. Test the buttons by manually pressing and noting events in the log that correspond.

If you do not see an event in the log after pressing a button, repeat steps 4.b through 4.f.

Hope that helps.

Comment

All Off Button

How do I get access to the "All Off" button in an event ??
                              Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Working...
                              X