No announcement yet.

Remote Speaker Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use TuneBlade on my Windows HS3 server and Shairport-sync on my Raspberry Pi devices to have synchronized announcements throughout the house.

And I see many others have similar Rube Goldberg-esque solutions to a simple problem: Rich & co need make a Pi-capable HS speaker client so we can just use the built in stuff and simplify things!

Comment

Originally posted by shill View Post
      I use TuneBlade on my Windows HS3 server and Shairport-sync on my Raspberry Pi devices to have synchronized announcements throughout the house.

And I see many others have similar Rube Goldberg-esque solutions to a simple problem: Rich & co need make a Pi-capable HS speaker client so we can just use the built in stuff and simplify things!
      In case anyone else is using a setup like this, I have just released a TuneBlade plugin, which allows you to manipulate connections and volume for all your AirPlay devices connected to your TuneBlade server: https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1593

Comment

I was able to get homeseer to speak through my Google home mini device using a node-red node and MQTT. It makes for a very simple multi speaker configuration. Alexa seems only to do notifications, not announcements yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mitchmitchell1616 View Post
          I was able to get homeseer to speak through my Google home mini device using a node-red node and MQTT.
          Any pointers on how to set that up? I'd like to be able to use my Goggle Mini and Amazon Echo devices as remote speakers for HS3.

G

Comment

You can use your Google devices with Spud's Chromecast Plugin. Amazon devices can't be used like that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post

Any pointers on how to set that up? I'd like to be able to use my Goggle Mini and Amazon Echo devices as remote speakers for HS3.

G
              I'll have to write up the information when I get home to a larger keyboard. Essentially I already had a node red server set up with the 'cast node' to have the Google mini speak whatever text was sent on an MQTT topic. I modified the Speak script to use mosquito_pub to publish the text passed in to the script out to the bus.

If you aren't familiar with node red, it may be easier to use the cast plugin.

I also have an alexa_notify script for events to publish notifications, but I don't know how to do announcements on Alexa yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the script I use to generate Alexa notifications, its really simple, it uses the Notify Me skill:

Code:
                Sub Main(ByVal notification As String)
                  dim accessCode = "<ALEXAAPIKEYHERE>"
                  dim host = "https://api.notifymyecho.com"
                  dim path = "/v1/NotifyMe?notification="+notification+"&accessCode="+accessCode
                  dim result = hs.GetURL(host, path, TRUE, 443)
                  hs.WriteLog("msg", result)
                End Sub

Comment

This is my modification to the speak.sh shell script in the HomeSeer root folder. I added the line to use mosquitto to publish the text to be spoken to an MQTT topic

Code:
                  #!/bin/sh
                  #flite -voice kal16 -t "$1"
                  pico2wave -w=temp.wav "$1"
                  aplay temp.wav
                  /usr/bin/mosquitto_pub -h localhost -t "homeseer/speak" -m "$1"
                  The attached image shows the node-red flow. It uses the MQTT node to receive the message published by the speak script on the "homeseer/speak" topic. It then uses the node-red-contrib-cast node to send the message to the Google Home Mini.

Node red is included on the Raspberry Pi raspbian distribution, and mosquitto is available as a package from the mosquitto debian repository, just change the URL from "http://repo.mosquitto.org/debian/mosquitto-jessie.list" to "http://repo.mosquitto.org/debian/mosquitto-stretch.list"

The catch node handles errors and texts me via Twilio.

This works for Homeseer installed on a Linux system -- there would be differences when working with it on a windows system (mqtt client, speak script) but the idea is the same.

Best Regards,

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                  X