Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Weather Online?

CFGuy,

Just wondering if you have considered World Weather Online as a replacement for Weather Underground. Looks like they have an API.

I noticed with the default homeseer project touch screens that on the weather screen the weather data is no longer displaying. Noticed this morning and it has been this way all day. I gather it uses an RSS Weather Feed from World Weather Online as there is a message at the bottom of the default page weather screen that it is powered by World Weather Online.

Was wondering if you or anyone knows if the World Weather Online RSS Feed is down or what might be the cause of the data not displaying. Thanks much.....Rick

World Weather Online is one of the options in weatherXML.
    However, they no longer offer free API's. I had gotten an API from them years ago and it was deactivated when I didn't select one of their pay plans.

I am working on a replacement. It will be a while before I have anything to announce though.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

GFGuy,

Is this something that happened just recently? Is this why the RSS Feed for the weather screen in HS3Touch default project is no longer displaying weather data? It was displaying ok the day before yesterday and quit dispaying data yesterday morning and still is not displaying data? I looked at the RSS feed URL and it starts with "weather. homeseer.com/weather... Any thoughts on this?Thanks again !!!!!

Comment

It was a while back that WWO quit providing free API's. At the same time they changed the url for the current free API's. I suspect so they could stop users who had no way to edit the url in what ever program they were using.
        I had only been using my WWO API every so often for testing. When I went to check earlier this week, they had deactivated mine.

As Rich said in his post HS would download the file and serve it from their server. That is why you see the Homeseer.com url. But their API has been cut off as well.

At one point I had gotten an email from NOAA weather that I needed to start sending a header in the request for data so they could tell who was requesting the data. They were shutting off people that were abusing the amount of requests. The person I worked with to get things setup the way they wanted said that they had been getting some pressure from commercial weather services to have NOAA stop providing weather data for free. He did say that they had no intention of stopping the free weather data.

As I said I am working on a replacement for WU. When I have the code farther along I will make an announcement. This change will be my main priority for July.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Would be nice to have some rain and rain forecast data. Nice work !!!!! Rick

Comment

Working...
          X