No announcement yet.

amazon echo DOT and TAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I preordered two echo dots previously and tried to order another one today, however Alexa stated that there is a limit of two per customer and it would not allow me to order another.

Just a heads up: the Amazon fire TV software was recently updated to include alexa as well. I have one of these in a media room and it works fine for HS control using the remote with the mic button: the TV/receiver etc does not have to be on, just the fire TV itself.

I was planning to have a dot in every area of the house but that will be on hold for awhile apparently.

Comment

Do any of you guys have multiple echos now? The problem wirh having a few is that the microphone can hear to well and multiple rooms doesn't work out so well. During quiet times you get several echos responding. Changing wake word helps if you have two but then provides challenges to call the right name.

There needs to be something done if you plan on have an echo in each living space.

Comment

Ok here is a possible solution (but not a good one)

I would think you could setup a separate account for each Echo. Then by based on which account the command came to HS through, you could define the room name. This should work since you should be able to pair multiple echo accounts to one homeseer account.

Ideally Amazon will do this via their system eventually (i.e. Echo 1 Echo 2 etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
          Ok here is a possible solution (but not a good one)

I would think you could setup a separate account for each Echo. Then by based on which account the command came to HS through, you could define the room name. This should work since you should be able to pair multiple echo accounts to one homeseer account.

Ideally Amazon will do this via their system eventually (i.e. Echo 1 Echo 2 etc)
          Not sure I understand but echo only has two wake words possible and that is not changeable. Alexa and echo. So when you talk no echo no matter homeseer or not you need to say "alexa" not a room number to start any conversation. When you say alexa she hears you commands but with several in the house more then one can hear your command and start listening and reacting to it.

The solution right now is wisper loud enough only one can hear.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
            Do any of you guys have multiple echos now? The problem wirh having a few is that the microphone can hear to well and multiple rooms doesn't work out so well. During quiet times you get several echos responding. Changing wake word helps if you have two but then provides challenges to call the right name.

There needs to be something done if you plan on have an echo in each living space.
            I only have one, sitting in the kitchen. But I keep the echo remote/mic in my office so I don't have to yell. I don't really foresee the problem you're describing for our situation. I have a couple Dots on order, one for my office and one for the master bedroom. If the primary echo could hear me from my office, I wouldn't add one to the office. If it could hear me from the bedroom, I wouldn't put one there either. I don't really look at it as a "echo in every room" thing, but rather just enough echos to cover the house... which could be a lot less than the number of rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
              I only have one, sitting in the kitchen. But I keep the echo remote/mic in my office so I don't have to yell. I don't really foresee the problem you're describing for our situation. I have a couple Dots on order, one for my office and one for the master bedroom. If the primary echo could hear me from my office, I wouldn't add one to the office. If it could hear me from the bedroom, I wouldn't put one there either. I don't really look at it as a "echo in every room" thing, but rather just enough echos to cover the house... which could be a lot less than the number of rooms.
              I have several echos and have this problem. And I have sonos in every room except bathrooms and hallway.

You don;t have to have one in every room of course but the reference is made to be like sonos. Which again doesn't have to be in every room its made and designed to be. If you had a really big house your issues would be less. But in a 1500sft house and having 4 or 5 echos this is not ideal. Going back to having 4 or 5 dots (which means 4 or 5 speaker systems connected to the dots) this is really not an ideal setup, but curious to see how it will turn out or of what use it will be. I have a single dot on order to play with myself, I'm just guessing its going to be more of a toy then a useful device.

Usually I play with things and if its actual practical or useful my parents or friends end up with them after. Echo and sonos ended that way, but I'm betting the dot will be cool toy but they won't be practical for use.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post

I have four, and have emailed Amazon about this via the Feedback link in the app. I have placed mine over three levels of our home so having multiple Echos hear me is an issue from only one spot. However, Amazon needs to pass through the Echo device that is making a request to Connected Home apps, so that location-specific control is possible (i.e., "turn on the lights" turns them on in just that room unless a location is specified). I actually want this for Sonos control, but it could have many uses.

Please provide this feedback to Amazon if you agree.
                Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Working...
                X