Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well do self cleaning robot vacuums actually work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJS View Post
    I have a long hair cat and have to thoroughly clean it after each use but I really like it.
    You clean that cat after every use? Is that the trick to having these things work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fischb22 View Post
      You clean that cat after every use? Is that the trick to having these things work well?

No.

I'very been using Roomba's for about 4 year now. They work just fine. Not like a regular vacuum of course. But to get the brunt of the dirt and for general maintenance they are great. I empty mind every few missions and clean the brushes about once a month. About twice a month when I had a cat. It ran a LOTE more frequently then too.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I tracked down the baseline used for the 60x greater suction power comparison, and I was surprised to learn it's one of Samsung's own robot vacuum cleaners, the VR10F71UCAC. That's according to Samsung's own press release (http://www.samsung.com/uk/news/local...owerbot-vr9000). Interestingly enough, the VR10F71UCAC isn't cheap, which was the second surprise. It retails for around $500-$600. That seems rather expensive for a presumably weak vacuum.

I also found out that the Dyson 360 Eye captures particles only down to 0.5 microns ( http://www.applianceretailer.com.au/.../#.VDM3gk10w5s), so I'm betting that every particle sprinkled on the tabletop in the video demo in my update posting above was artificially screened to be at least that size or larger. Technically speaking, HEPA is 0.3 microns, so that's why there's no mention of HEPA filters.

Most likely neither vacuum will be shipping until sometime in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by fischb22 View Post
          Yeah, that page was left out of most versions of the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            No.

I'very been using Roomba's for about 4 year now. They work just fine. Not like a regular vacuum of course. But to get the brunt of the dirt and for general maintenance they are great. I empty mind every few missions and clean the brushes about once a month. About twice a month when I had a cat. It ran a LOTE more frequently then too.
            I am a big fan of Roomba's. I took my Dirt Dog to work to see if it could clean the shop floor. It freaked out after a few minutes. Because of the large shop , it couldn't find a wall to bounce off of and shut down beeping and beeping. Apparently, there is a limit to how large an area they can cover.

I wonder if anyone has interfaced a Roomba to Homeseer.

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
              I wonder if anyone has interfaced a Roomba to Homeseer.
              Yes see this thread.
              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=159182
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Thanks. I bookmarked that thread. Something else to add to the 'HS To Do' list, which keeps getting longer.

Comment

Late entry to this thread.

We love our Roombas. GREAT for picking up dog hair (short beagle hair) and dog food (messy eater) in the kitchen. NOT so great for the garage. We lost one Roomba when it lodged itself under the tire of our truck. Passenger rear. We drove over it. Roombas do not understand off-road tires and are not strong enough to dislodge themselves. We added a DS10A to the Roomba and the dock to make sure it had docked before we drove out of the garage. Also had to worry about when it rained and the condensate from the vehicle A/C. It was too much hassle. LOW WAF. It got relegated to the mud room.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                    We love our Roombas. GREAT for picking up dog hair (short beagle hair) and dog food (messy eater) in the kitchen. NOT so great for the garage. We lost one Roomba when it lodged itself under the tire of our truck. Passenger rear. We drove over it. Roombas do not understand off-road tires and are not strong enough to dislodge themselves. We added a DS10A to the Roomba and the dock to make sure it had docked before we drove out of the garage. Also had to worry about when it rained and the condensate from the vehicle A/C. It was too much hassle. LOW WAF. It got relegated to the mud room.
                    Excellent feedback! Using a DS10A in the way that you are doing sounds very smart.

I'm curious: do you have any data on what happens if the roomba drives through a puddle of condensate? For instance, maybe it already happened with yours by accident. I ask because although I agree that on its face it sounds like a situation best avoided, maybe in reality it turns out to be of little consequence. In the best case, if it's using sealed bearings, maybe any collected water stays in the compartment (until emptied) and away from the electronics. In the worst case, maybe the electronics get wet and/or metal parts become rusted and/or collected dust and debris becomes a disgusting awful muddy mess that needs to be scraped/flushed out of the collector and/or the roomba tracks mud all over the floor, creating even more of a mess.

The worst case scenario of all might happen if there were an oil leak under a vehicle that happens before anyone become aware of it. Any time you get your oil changed there's a risk it might happen afterward if the guy who drained the old oil either misthreaded the oil pan bolt or didn't tighten it to the proper torque before adding new oil. I suppose it could happen for other reasons also, but I've experienced first-hand the oil-change induced scenario, and from talking to others it seems not to be as rare an occurrence as it should be. However, I do think that by taking simple precautions the oil-change induced oil-drip scenario can be managed to an acceptable risk, so for me the mere existence of the possibility wouldn't, by itself, deter me.
                    Last edited by NeverDie; October 10, 2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I have a Roomba 540 so no remote control here. However is did it ACME style. More at my blog http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/2010.htm#13
                      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
                        I have a Roomba 540 so no remote control here. However is did it ACME style. More at my blog http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/2010.htm#13
                        Looks like you'd be a natural to build something to allow a Roomba to automatically "self empty" when it returns to dock. i.e. If you had interest, you probably already have the necessary ACME skills to pull it off without much effort.

As for button hacking, I and a lot of others have managed to get good outcomes using an optocoupler to "press the button" on a device. It's maybe a more subtle level of ACME style, but to me it always felt ACME style nonetheless.
                        Last edited by NeverDie; October 13, 2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                          Looks like you'd be a natural to build something to allow a Roomba to automatically "self empty" when it returns to dock. ...
                          From my own experiences, I'd say that you might figure out a way to do this with a Neato, but with a Roomba, it seems that the brushes and other bits of the unit had to be cleaned every time the dust bin needed to be emptied.

Comment

I heard that it works well.

Comment

Working...
                            X