Hoping for recommendation for Zwave pool timer replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping for a recommendation on the replacement of a mechanical pool timer with something that is Zwave controlled, but could continue to be overridden manually by the pool controller.

I began looking at the full controller solutions, but at the end of the day, I have a simple single timer that needs to be replaced to turn a single speed pump on/off on a schedule.

Is there a simple module that could replace the mechanical timer and still interface with the old control board? The old timer was an Intermatic PB913UB66. There is a freeze prevention thermostat but that's connected to the control board, not the timer (not sure it matters). There are 4 wires: 1 line, 1 load (both going to the control board), and 2 timer motor lines coming from a contactor.

Any recommendations? I'm hoping a zwave relay or something could work. I'm considering the Intermatic CA3750 contactor module, but would rather retrofit what I have to keep the old school freeze override.

Thanks in advance!

Ben

I'm looking for the same. Have pretty much the same set up.

Sent from my iPhone
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I believe Hayward's AquaConnect has a plug-in.

And Intermatic sells a Z-Wave pool controller (PE653RC).

Comment

Nice thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
        Tom

Comment

Ben here's another thread with more info on the intermatic and a diy solution

Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave Z-wave Pool/Spa/Home Control
          http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=152013

Sent from my iPhone
          Tom

Comment

Thanks... I've reviewed that thread but am really hoping there's a simpler solution than a $450+ controller. Like could a Zwave relay or switch be used in place of the old mechanical timer?

Comment

I don't know if this is of any help, but when I had a single speed pump and mechanical timer I tried a couple of ways to add ZW control and both worked although the 2nd method was the most reliable:

1. I kept the mechanical timer wired up to the pump and added a CA3750 in parallel. In normal use the mechanical timer was left switched off and the pump was controlled via the CA3750 and HS events. If something went wrong with the CA3750 (like it dropped offline occasionally) then my pool guy would just switch the mechanical timer back to timed mode and I would repair the CA3750 when I was next at the house.

2. I got fed up with the CA3750 at some stage and so gutted it and put the relay from an Elk9200 http://store.homeseer.com/store/ELK-...ctor-P740.aspx inside, again wired in parallel with the mechanical timer. I then plugged the relay 120VAC power cord into a ZW appliance module that in turn was plugged into a nearby waterproof power outlet.
              All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
                I don't know if this is of any help, but when I had a single speed pump and mechanical timer I tried a couple of ways to add ZW control and both worked although the 2nd method was the most reliable:

2. I got fed up with the CA3750 at some stage and so gutted it and put the relay from an Elk9200 http://store.homeseer.com/store/ELK-...ctor-P740.aspx inside, again wired in parallel with the mechanical timer. I then plugged the relay 120VAC power cord into a ZW appliance module that in turn was plugged into a nearby waterproof power outlet.
                This is very helpful. Just the possibility I was inquiring about. Do you think I could use a Zwave relay instead of the dual Elk relay/appliance module approach? I know you already had the Elk and probably why you went that route.

Maybe something like this assuming the amperage and voltage ratings are the same or better than the mechanical timer?
                http://store.homeseer.com/store/Line...ule-P1618.aspx

Comment

My pump was 240VAC and already had a 2-pole mechanical timer, so I needed a 2-pole (DPST) relay too, which is why I used the CA3750 and later the Elk9200. I also have a bunch of the Linear relay fixture modules, but these are 1-pole.
                  If your pump is 120VAC and 1hp or less then the Linear looks as if it will do fine. FYI I have one in an outside waterproof box for controlling the LV pool light and found I got better range by drilling a small hole in the box and passing the antenna wire out through it.
                  Last edited by Olbrit; February 29, 2016, 01:04 PM.
                  All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

So I have a single pole (SPST) mechanical timer rated for 120-277V with a 125V clock motor.

It's the PB913UB66. Rated for 20 amps. So I'm tempted to just get a Zwave switch rated for 20 AMP and see if that'd work. Although I don't want to fry a $40 switch if I'm not right.

When you say you "wired in parallel", did you just tap into the capacitor with your mechanical timer? What was the benefit of keeping the mechanical timer in place? Is that still your primary or backup timer? My mechanical timer is very unreliable. I have to take it apart 2-3 times a year and bend the metal contactors so they make a better connection, as well as score up the metal some.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

By parallel, I mean that the 2 live input wires went to L1 and L2 on the timer and I jumpered those to L1 and L2 on the relay, similarly for the output load pump wires. In normal use the mechanical timer stayed switched off, so I had full control of the pump via HS events and the Z-Wave appliance module/relay.

I did this as I am only physically at the house 1 week/quarter so if anything went wrong with my HA I needed my pool guy to be able to quickly and easily revert back to the secondary mechanical timer without having to touch anything else. (FWIW I had no issues with my mechanical timer and it worked fine, an Intermatic T104 I think). After 2 or 3 years my pump broke and I replaced it with a variable speed one with onboard scheduling, so I ended up removing the mechanical timer, relay, etc., and just wired the new pump direct to the isolator.

Comment

Working...
                      X