Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Device to ZWave

Ok, so I am a ZWave newbie..
    I have been using and 90% of my automation is Insteon..
    whoever I love some of the options on Zwave, so I added an smartstick +
    Since I don't have a Huge wireless zwave network I am trying something simple, a Z-Wave Wireless Temperature / Humidity Sensor from everspring..
    I was able to get it to come up as a NODE in my zwave network.
    however for some reason I cant figure out how to get the devices into homeseer..
    I did some google searching, and quick glancing in the forums, but I am missing something..
    any help would be awesome
    thanks
    Fred

so slight update,
    I'm ashamed to admit, the devices were in there, however the "FLOOR" node 1 and node 2 were not selected..
    So I now have a few questions..
    do I really care about the Node numbers, I really don't user Floors in my home..
    so they are usually blank.. and I made the room instead of Zwave I change it to store room..
    is that ok..
    also can I get rid of the NODE #

also, the device I have is temp and humidity, temp is working however humidity is 0

thanks so much

Fred

Comment

You do not have to use both locations. You can enable or disable location 2 and rename both of them in Setup>Custom. You can also choose which ones are displayed in the Device Manager. You can also rename the devices and change or rename location from the Device Manager page. While it pertains to creating Virtual Devices, this thread will help you understand how devices are named and locations are managed.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks so much, the location thing that cleared up a lot for me..
        much appreciated..

I am still having a problem with the unit though..
        I am using a
        Everspring ST814 - Wireless Temperature & Humidity Detector
        connected to a homeseer smartstick +
        I am getting temp but humidity is zero..
        anyone have any experience with this and can help>?

Comment

<BUMP> Anyone.. please help on this???
          Originally posted by thetaz01 View Post
          Thanks so much, the location thing that cleared up a lot for me..
          much appreciated..

I am still having a problem with the unit though..
          I am using a
          Everspring ST814 - Wireless Temperature & Humidity Detector
          connected to a homeseer smartstick +
          I am getting temp but humidity is zero..
          anyone have any experience with this and can help>?

Comment

I've had the ST814 for some years and never had a problem reporting values but I will say that I have been using the Group 1 auto reporting feature (see table on page 12 of the product manual). This allows setting the temp and humidity change that must be reached before a report is sent. Avoid the Time Interval report setting as this can eat battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by naellis View Post
              I've had the ST814 for some years and never had a problem reporting values but I will say that I have been using the Group 1 auto reporting feature (see table on page 12 of the product manual). This allows setting the temp and humidity change that must be reached before a report is sent. Avoid the Time Interval report setting as this can eat battery life.
              I'm not really using it to alert me to anything yet right now..
              I just want it for constant monitoring so I can take a look at the temp and humidity..
              and at some point I might have homeseer trigger actions based on different things..

I just want the humidity to display in homeseer like the temp does...
              am I missing something??
              perhaps this unit is defective?

Comment

I have had several ST814's for years, I just let the devices update themselves directly into HS via associations when their data changes, I don't change anything in their configs. Try deleting the humidity child, then rescan. With any luck a new humidity child will be spawned that will show the correct values for you. If that doesn't work you could try removing the device entirely, do a factory reset and then a rescan.
                (FWIW I run these fine via a wallwart so batteries are not a concern).
                All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
                  I have had several ST814's for years, I just let the devices update themselves directly into HS via associations when their data changes, I don't change anything in their configs. Try deleting the humidity child, then rescan. With any luck a new humidity child will be spawned that will show the correct values for you. If that doesn't work you could try removing the device entirely, do a factory reset and then a rescan.
                  Well this is my first ZWave device..
                  so perhaps I am adding it incorrectly,
                  I powered it up, and did add a node...
                  I didn't put the temp device in any special mode...
                  I am going to try your suggestion to remove the humidity child and recan..

Comment

AWESOME!! this seems to have worked!!
                    thanks so much!!

Comment

Originally posted by thetaz01 View Post
                      AWESOME!! this seems to have worked!!
                      thanks so much!!
                      Unfortunately, it seems to have worked to get a value in the humitidy field..
                      however it hasn't updated SINCE I added it back....
                      the settings in the node are 20 mins 3 seconds to update, and the temp is update ever 20 mins... the temp updates fine, but the lsast update on the humidity is 10/12 11:02pm
                      Fred

Comment

That sucks, sorry to hear it Fred. What I can't tell from your post is if the Humidity reading is changing on the ST814 display itself ok and just not changing in HS, or if it's not changing in either - this would affect the troubleshooting steps...

If this was my ST814 I'd try the following before declaring it faulty and going for a (warranty?) replacement:

1. Reboot Controller and ZW Interface (if applicable; mine's a Z-Troller so I do a powercycle on it).

2. Put in new batteries no matter how new the current ones are, place the ST814 2 or 3 feet from your ZW Interface, delete the Humidity child, rescan, check Humidity child is recreated, check parent/root associations and add ALL shown to associate with HomeSeer, optimize and full optimize. Wait and watch the Temp/Humid readings for an hour or 2 while leaving the ST814 close to the ZW Interface...in particular leave the ST814 display showing Humidity so you can see if that changes.

If that fails,
                        3. Exclude and remove the ST814 in HS. Reboot Controller and ZW Interface and make sure the ST814 parent and children are all gone, perform a factory reset on the ST814 (see manual if needed), pull out batteries from ST814 for 1 minute then reinsert, place the ST814 2 or 3 feet from your ZW Interface, rescan, check parent and Temp/Humid children created ok, check parent/root associations and add ALL shown to associate with HomeSeer, optimize and full optimize. Wait and watch for an hour or 2 while leaving the ST814 close to the ZW Interface...in particular leave the ST814 display showing Humidity so you can see if that changes.

Interested in what you find!
                        Attached Files
                        All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

That sucks, sorry to hear it Fred. What I can't tell from your post is if the Humidity reading is changing on the ST814 display itself ok and just not changing in HS, or if it's not changing in either - this would affect the troubleshooting steps...

If this was my ST814 I'd try the following before declaring it faulty and going for a (warranty?) replacement:

1. Reboot Controller and ZW Interface (if applicable; mine's a Z-Troller so I do a powercycle on it).

2. Put in new batteries no matter how new the current ones are, place the ST814 2 or 3 feet from your ZW Interface, delete the Humidity child, rescan, check Humidity child is recreated, check parent/root associations and add ALL shown to associate with HomeSeer, optimize and full optimize. Wait and watch the Temp/Humid readings for an hour or 2 while leaving the ST814 close to the ZW Interface...in particular leave the ST814 display showing Humidity so you can see if that changes.

If that fails,
                          3. Exclude and remove the ST814 in HS. Reboot Controller and ZW Interface and make sure the ST814 parent and children are all gone, perform a factory reset on the ST814 (see manual if needed), pull out batteries from ST814 for 1 minute then reinsert, place the ST814 2 or 3 feet from your ZW Interface, rescan, check parent and Temp/Humid children created ok, check parent/root associations and add ALL shown to associate with HomeSeer, optimize and full optimize. Wait and watch for an hour or 2 while leaving the ST814 close to the ZW Interface...in particular leave the ST814 display showing Humidity so you can see if that changes.

Interested in what you find!
                          So, here's what I found out..
                          The humidity is actually updating, JUST not as frequent as it should or as the temp..
                          I thought it was because the humidity wasn't changing much, BUT I just went in now and looked at the unit, 70% on screen, but my home seer device is last updated yesterday morning, and says 58%
                          I'm not sure why its not updating as much as it says it should be...
                          I will try your steps above later today..
                          also FYI the device is about 4 foot from the homeseer box and the Zwave stick
                          Last edited by thetaz01; October 18, 2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: change

Comment

Hi Fred, good luck with your further troubleshooting!
                            I guess the humidity changes also depend on where the ST814 is located. My Outside and Attic readings fluctuate quite a bit, but my lounge is just 1% variance over 36 hours (unoccupied).
                            Attached Files

Comment

^^^ what graphing plugin you using? any?
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X