Best solutions for Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather on HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best solutions for Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather on HS3

Hello All, I have spent the last few days going through EVERY piece of information I could find about getting my Davis VantagePro 2 weather station to show up in my HS3 Hometroller. Most of the information I have found has been about HS2 and is about 10 years old. The time wasted reading about obsolete technology and plugins is my definition of frustration. I do have to say a big Thank You to HiTech for the write up about what I'm looking for here: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138704 It is truly what I expect from forum posts and support. Outstanding work. I followed those instructions but I believe they are for HS2 and I can't get it to work. I also briefly tried VWS but got stuck pretty quickly and never heard back from my questions.

What would you guys recommend for the most efficient way to have my weather information appear in HS3?

I use Jon00's VWS script to import data from Virtual Weather Station. It works quite well.
    Last edited by Uncle Michael; May 28, 2015, 04:53 PM.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Welcome to the HS forum,

I use Cumulus software to upload to Wunderground/NOAA from my Davis VantagePro 2. Cumulus also creates a file that is leveraged by JON00's Cumulus script.... works fantastic. Almost real-time data in HS3.

Let me know if you find that interesting and I can help you flesh it out on your system.

WeatherXML also can read the Cumulus file and is pretty easy to implement as well.

Here is the link to my station on Wunderground:

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...ID=KININDIA125

Here is a shot of some of the HS3 devices created by JON00's Cumulus script

Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi joels,

I went through the same process for my Davis Vantage Pro 2. I use a Linux based server with Wview as my application and there are no plugins available. I get my data in a round about way. I send data to Weather Underground and then use the WeatherXML plugin to retrieve my data to HS3. I realize that it delays the readings but it is sufficient for my HS needs. I have a weather server online if I need near realtime data. http://www.w4lcs.com/weather

Bob

Comment

You can also use Weather Display and produce a file that will populate the variables in HS3.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It's looking like Davis VP2 > Weather Display > HS3 via Jon00's scripts.

Thank you everyone for the ideas and recommendations. I installed both Cumulus and Weather Display on a different system. I like the fit, finish, look, and interface of Cumulus a lot more than Weather Display but it seems like Weather Display has a lot of additional features I may use like webcams. I already have a few weather cameras I would eventually like to integrate. I also would like to have some nice graph and histogram pages after I get all the configurations working.

I looked through Jon00's scripts and it seems he also has a nice one for Weather Display. I downloaded and quickly glanced through the instructions and I'm going to attempt this setup this weekend. I'm sure I
            ll be back with some other questions though.

- I'd like to run Weather Display on my HomeTroller S6. What are your thoughts of having both HS3 and Weather Display constantly running on the same machine? Will is be too taxing on the CPU?

- I would be very interested in anyone's experiences or best practices in getting the VP2 setup with Jon00's scripts. That is going to be one of my weekend challenges.

(As an aside to that in case anyone is interested. I've had Davis Weatherlink running on a PC for years. Finally about 6 months ago I installed Meteobridge (http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) on a TP-Link mini-router. It worked great and helped me eliminate an extra PC running all the time. I just don't know enough about it to want to integrate it with HS3 now. For those of you who may need additional resources for your Davis station.)

Comment

Joels,
              Did you get this working? How did you do it in the end?

Anyone else got recommendations - I'm looking at purchasing a Davis and integrating with HS3?

Scott

Comment

Here have been running Cumulus on an RPi2 connected to a Davis Console. It's been running great. You can utilize Jon00's utility / script to get data from the Cumulus application.

Just testing out WeeWx and it also works great. Might install this on HS3 Pro Linux machine with a MeteoStick.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
                  Joels,
                  Did you get this working? How did you do it in the end?

Anyone else got recommendations - I'm looking at purchasing a Davis and integrating with HS3?

Scott
                  Still using Weather Display here and have been for over 10 years and it just keeps humming along.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by dcdelong View Post
                    Welcome to the HS forum,

I use Cumulus software to upload to Wunderground/NOAA from my Davis VantagePro 2. Cumulus also creates a file that is leveraged by JON00's Cumulus script.... works fantastic. Almost real-time data in HS3.

Let me know if you find that interesting and I can help you flesh it out on your system.

WeatherXML also can read the Cumulus file and is pretty easy to implement as well.

Here is the link to my station on Wunderground:

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...ID=KININDIA125

Here is a shot of some of the HS3 devices created by JON00's Cumulus script

Chris
                    +1

Comment

Over the years the Davis buffered serial cable has been reverse engineered with a larger buffer for more data. Here originally started with a non buffered serial cable to my Davis console and recently went to a custom job designed in Australia that is levels above what Davis offers.

I just tacked on the RPi2 to the back of the Davis Console (which I never looked at anymore any how)

Concurrent with the buffered cable stuff has been a reverse engineering of the wireless communication protocols that Davis uses.

IE: you can custom build a wireless weather console today that talk and mixes Davis wireless weather devices stuff (more than just the ISS).

WeatherDuino Pro 2 Plus (for hardware tinkerers)

[ATTACH]61111[/ATTACH]

MeteoStick

[ATTACH]61112[/ATTACH]

It would be like using the RFXCom receiver for Davis weather stations (if it did that) plus other wireless weather instruments.

Davis Weather Station Hacking (2010)
                      It's science, but it works like magic.

The use of Davis weather stations was so prevalent that the communications became standard and sort of public domain. (Like Q-Tips are synonymous with a cotton swab on a stick).

Reverse engineering wireless weather stations 2011
                      Last edited by Pete; May 11, 2017, 10:50 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have sent a PM to the Weatherduino owner with these questions. Waiting for a response:

Can the WeatherDuinoPro2 Compact take the place of the Davis Weatherlink IP to send Davis VP2 data to Cumulus software?
                        http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Th...mpact-receiver

Are there any enclosures available for the WeatherDuinoPro2 Compact?

Since Weather Underground is not issuing free API keys anymore, is it possible to add other API's like Dark Sky or OpenWeatherMap?

Can you also add the functionality to send the collected data using MQTT to an MQTT broker?

Comment

Got a response on the above questions:

Hi taylormia,

Welcome and thank you for your interest in the WeatherDuino project.
                          I'm afraid the Pro 2 Compact Receiver itsn't suitable for your purposes. All WeatherDuino receivers don't receive data from any Davis ISS, the WeatherDuino system uses their own transmitters. The receivers just emulate the Davis VP2 communication between them and any weather software as Cumulus, etc.

Please visit the WeatherDuino Wiki (http://www.wiki.weatherduino.com/), quickly you will see how all the system works.
                          Once again thank you.

Kind regards
                          Caneira (Werk_AG)

Comment

Found some 5 year old firmware for reception of Davis ISS data originally written for WeeWx.

DavisSi1000 - Firmware for SiLabs Si1000 ISM radios for Davis ISS weather protocol

It implements the receiving side of the Davis ISS 900MHz wireless weather protocol. This will allow a 3DR telemetry radio to be used as a USB enabled Davis weather console.

{ "transmitter_id": 2, "RSSI": 128, "recv_packets": 22, "wind_speed_mph": 0, "wind_direction_degrees": 215, "temperature_F": 67.95, "humidity_pct": 63.6, "light": 1536, "rain_spoons": 12, "raw": "82 00 98 2A 29 00 E1 45 FF FF ", "version": "1.0" }

These are in JSON format.

Here is another which uses an SDR radio.

An rtl-sdr receiver for Davis Instruments weather stations
                            Last edited by Pete; June 2, 2018, 04:22 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                              I use Jon00's VWS script to import data from Virtual Weather Station. It works quite well.
                              I would like to thank Jon00 because I replaced the vws plugin with his. Thanks Jon00 the plugin is perfect and works great but the most fantastic thing is that it has also solved the problem of the excessive work of the cpu that I had before with the VWS plugin. Now my CPU has breathed a sigh of relief. I use a WMRS 200 oregon scientific station with many internal and external sensors. The data imported from this Jon00 plugin is the heart of my home automation system for the thermal and hygrometric regulation of the home.
                              Massimo-RenderCAD

Comment

Working...
                              X