Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know I promised to use my HS for niceness instead of evil but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I promised to use my HS for niceness instead of evil but...

I bought a 12vac relay and attached it to the doorbell unit and attached a z-wave dry contact sensor to the normally open output of the relay. That works great.
    Then I created both a counter and a timer. When the doorbell is pressed, an event triggers which starts the timer (the event is prevented from re-running for 20 seconds). Also, each time the doorbell is pressed, the doorbell counter is incremented, the camera takes a pic and is emailed to me and the counter is reset after 15 seconds. If the doorbell count is greater than 2 in less than 10 seconds, the sprinklers are turned on for 30 seconds and I get an email notification for that.

Why did I do this you may ask? Occasionally, I'll get someone at the door who rings the bell in a rude manner "Ding-Dong Ding-Dong Ding-Dong".
    I heard it the first time! And it's never anyone I want to talk to.

I just need to adjust the sprinkler head for the proper amount of overspray on the stoop. I figured that water won't hurt anybody but should get my message across. The downside is that if I have a package on the stoop, it may get a little wet.

- Robert

LOL!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have a Rottweiler wired into my system - the more they ring the more it barks. People tend not to keep ringing - who wants to piss off a Rotty.
      It is of course an electronic Rotty, but they don't know that. And even if they suspect it - would you risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
        I have a Rottweiler wired into my system - the more they ring the more it barks. People tend not to keep ringing - who wants to piss off a Rotty.
        It is of course an electronic Rotty, but they don't know that. And even if they suspect it - would you risk it?
        Is it a mp3 file you play? I searched for one to download but couldn't find one that sounded good. My boss has a couple of Ridgebacks that he brings to work. One howls and barks whenever someone comes to the door. He's sweet but scary. I thought about recording it somehow. Maybe if I had a wireless mic and attached it to his collar.

- Robert

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JvxnrzB1Jk

~Bill

Comment

You could step that up a notch if you could mount it to a multi-copter and chase the guy off your property.

- Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
              Is it a mp3 file you play? I searched for one to download but couldn't find one that sounded good. My boss has a couple of Ridgebacks that he brings to work. One howls and barks whenever someone comes to the door. He's sweet but scary. I thought about recording it somehow. Maybe if I had a wireless mic and attached it to his collar.

- Robert
              It's an X10 box I bought a few years ago; http://www.amazon.co.uk/DK10U-Barkin...ews/B000KB2DFO

Comment

Homeseer needs to offer a z-wave barking dog. Then I'll buy one.

- Robert

Comment

Great idea! Would love to see a video of it in action.
                  Bryan
                  Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                  Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Homeseer needs to offer a z-wave barking dog. Then I'll buy one.

- Robert
                    I'd buy a K-9!

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                      I'd buy a K-9!

Given that pic, a little sheet metal and a welder, I may have to build one this summer. This one looks as if he'd been left outside in the rain.
                      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I love it! Does something shoot out its nose?

- Robert

Comment

I love it! Does something shoot out its nose?

- Robert
                          You absolutely MUST catch up on your SciFi! Go watch "Dr. Who" on Netflix or Hulu or wherever.... It is an essential part of your education!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
                          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                          Home Assistant 2024.3
                          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

just take the guts from one of those shocking pens and wire it to a relay then the metal on the door bell button and have it turn it on after the 2nd press or if you hold it for more than 3 seconds. and trigger the camera at the same tine that should at least make for some good pictures

Comment

Originally posted by usLEDsupply View Post
                              just take the guts from one of those shocking pens and wire it to a relay then the metal on the door bell button and have it turn it on after the 2nd press or if you hold it for more than 3 seconds. and trigger the camera at the same tine that should at least make for some good pictures
                              The sprinkler is easier, and I might add, genius... evil genius. A man after my own heart.
                              I don't have a Rain8 or anything like that to do the same, but I do have a sprinkler with an RF remote that might do quite nicely. A late spring project. Watch out JWs.
                              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                              X