Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use my HomeTroller-SEL-PRO License in Windows Environment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use my HomeTroller-SEL-PRO License in Windows Environment?

Hi there,
    I've been using my HomeTroller-SEL-PRO for a couple of months now and love it. Coming from Vera I'm very happy with HS and can't really see any reason for ever changing.

However, on top of the (steep) learning of HS3 I am completely Linux illiterate and while I've fumbled my way through it I'm ultimately not comfortable with the platform.

Am I able to migrate my license to a Pi or similar as I'm fine with Windows? Ive read conflicting views in the forum, some suggesting its fine and some that the License is tied to the SEL-PRO unit.

Any advice would very be welcome.

Steve

You could just download the Windows version and give it a try. Note that the Pi runs another version of Linux, not Windows.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Sparkman. Would I be able to use my existing PRO license on a Windows machine (be it a Pi or anything else)?

I'm not so against Linux that I'm happy to fork out another few hundred bucks!

Comment

Your SEL license is good with the Windows version, enjoy!

Only the Zee has a special license since it has special hardware.

However, you can use your Windows or SEL license with the tar file version of HS3, so you could install the tar file on a Zee and use that version if you like. The only functionality you lose is the ability to simply update from setup, and the network config from within setup. But if you are good enough with Linux to install a tarfile, you can probably figure out how to set up the network using the Linux UI, and update manually. I know this is not what you asked, but I thought I would clarify the licenses in case others are curious.

Originally posted by Stevemeck View Post
        Thanks Sparkman. Would I be able to use my existing PRO license on a Windows machine (be it a Pi or anything else)?

I'm not so against Linux that I'm happy to fork out another few hundred bucks!
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rich, thanks for clarifying.

The irony is that I actually went for the SEL-PRO specifically as it's a Linux box and I just imagined it running in a data cupboard for months on end without intervention! Maybe this is exactly what it'll do but I keep hitting road blocks which I just don't have time to learn then fix (the latest example being that I don't have the required permissions to install PHLocation).

Comment

Working...
          X