Keep Fire tablet awake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep Fire tablet awake?

I am looking for a way to keep my new Fire 8 tablet from turning off for no activity after 30 minutes.

On my Nexus 7 I can choose to never sleep if the tablet is plugged in, but that option does not appear to be available on the Fire. Am I just missing it?

Is there another way? I've tried sending it a simulated button press every 25 minutes, which does successfully emulate the button press, but it does not prevent the tablet from going to sleep if there is no real activity.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    I am looking for a way to keep my new Fire 8 tablet from turning off for no activity after 30 minutes.

On my Nexus 7 I can choose to never sleep if the tablet is plugged in, but that option does not appear to be available on the Fire. Am I just missing it?

Is there another way? I've tried sending it a simulated button press every 25 minutes, which does successfully emulate the button press, but it does not prevent the tablet from going to sleep if there is no real activity.
    If you go into the Android developer options (tap the build number seven times) then you should have the stay awake if charging options. I'm not sure if you need to have a rooted tablet or not, I do so not sure if this option is always available.

Comment

I Downloaded "Keep Screen On" from Google play and it seems to have done the job for me.
      Just dim the screen down when there is no motion and then brighten it back up as soon as someone enters the room.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        If you go into the Android developer options (tap the build number seven times) then you should have the stay awake if charging options. I'm not sure if you need to have a rooted tablet or not, I do so not sure if this option is always available.
        Perfect! That was the piece I was missing. No root access required, by the way. Thank you.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Could you please clarify if the "Keep Screen On" program will also dim the device. It looks like there is no option to dim the device automatically and I noticed that there are two apps with the same name, which one did you select?

Thanks,
          Aldo

Originally posted by DaveMunn View Post
          I Downloaded "Keep Screen On" from Google play and it seems to have done the job for me.
          Just dim the screen down when there is no motion and then brighten it back up as soon as someone enters the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Perfect! That was the piece I was missing. No root access required, by the way. Thank you.
            ... but... that is not my issue. I want the device to stay on unless I shut it down. The "stay awake if charging" functions... but, I just want the device to run until I power it down...

Comment

Originally posted by morrisdlx View Post

... but... that is not my issue. I want the device to stay on unless I shut it down. The "stay awake if charging" functions... but, I just want the device to run until I power it down...
              Unless I'm missing something, that's exactly what stay awake while power does.

Mine stay on unless I power them down.

The only exception was when Amazon forced an update. In that case the device may reboot, which is why I deny internet access at the router.

Comment

Originally posted by morrisdlx View Post

Do you want the tablet to stay awake even if not charging (as in, on battery)? If so, I don't think that's possible. "Stay awake while charging" is the only option that I know that's visible. There may be other settings only available with ADB.
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

If you want to keep it awake without power connected, there used to be an app called Screen Alive.

There may be other apps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
                    If you want to keep it awake without power connected, there used to be an app called Screen Alive.

There may be other apps as well.
                    That's what I was thinking of when I said using ADB. I knew there was an OS level setting since I use an app called Mixing Station for my digital mixer and it has an option to keep the screen on all of the time, even when on battery.
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I can't remember where I found it, but this worked for my Fire TVs:

Code:
                      1) Go to: Settings -> My Fire TV -> Developer options -> ADB debugging -> ON (disclaimer it is not secure to run your device in this mode, use at your own risk)
                      2) Go to: Settings -> My Fire TV -> About -> Network. Write down your IP Address
                      3) Download and install ADB tools (I can't post links here, but this is a tool set provided by Google and there are TONS of install instructions out there for this, I have a Mac so I used brew cask install android-platform-tools)
                      4) Open up a terminal or command prompt (this is OS dependent, if you don't know how to do this you likely shouldn't be executing these instructions)
                      5) Connect adb to your Fire TV: adb connect :5555 (must be on same exact network as Fire TV and it be reachable)
                      6) Your computer will say you're not authorized, but your Fire TV will show you a visual prompt and if you accept it, your computer will connect anyway
                      7) From the prompt type: adb shell (which will put you at a shell at your Fire TV)
                      8) Type the following exactly (sets your Fire TV to never go to sleep): settings put secure sleep_timeout 0
                      9) Type (to exit out of the adb shell): exit
                      10) Type (to disconnect your computer from the Fire TV): adb disconnect
                      11) Go to: Settings -> My Fire TV -> Developer options -> ADB debugging -> OFF (you don't want to leave this enabled)

And that should be all of it, your FireTV will now no longer go to sleep.
                      ​
                      I would imagine that one could use something with a Fire HD tablet.

Comment

Working...
                      X