Problem with Events (Scenes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying to set up events in Alexa to adjust the speed of our ceiling fans and I am having some problems with this.

I currently have a device called Master bed fan that is discovered by Alexa, I can use "Alexa, set master bed fan to 55 percent" and the fan goes to medium. It works but I would like to try to make it more normal sounding. So I created an event that is triggered manually and made the voice command "Alexa, master bed fan medium". When I try this Alexa says she can't set the device to that setting. Then deleted the device Master bed fan, and tried the event again. This time it said Homeseer couldn't control that device that way.

I found this in Rich's explanation of the new skill: "3) Events can now be triggered. V3 adds "Scene" support. For this we consider an event a scene for Alexa. There is a new property under the event name (Voice Command). If you set this, you can then say "Alexa, turn on event_voice_command", like "Alexa, turn on my evening scene"."

So I an confused, obviously, about how to try to set up Alexa to trigger events. Do I have to say "Alexa, turn on master bed medium scen"? That seems more confusing then telling it a dim value.

Thank you for any help with this.

Here is what I do for the most natural feeling experience in my opinion.

Create the event. Give it some voice command, but not the one you want to speak to Alexa. I know that sounds wierd but hear me out. Maybe "fan to medium" or something like that. Make sure you tick the "Include as voice command" box under options for the event.

Then, open the Alexa app and rediscover smart home devices. After discovery completes you should be able to see your event name (not the voice command) as a new scene in the list of Scenes in the Alexa app.

Then, go to Routines in the Alexa app. Create a routine for "I'd like a breeze" and make that routine call your 'scene' from HomeSeer. Save the scene.

Then, say "Alexa, I'd like a breeze." It may take a minute or two to go into effect.

It is a number of hoops to jump through but in my opinion gives the cleanest result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there a way for Alexa to know it’s a ceiling fan? If I tell her to turn off the lights in the bedroom she turns off the fan as well. The box for islight isn’t checked either.

Comment

Is Is Light also unchecked on the device in HS that has the control actions? Not the root device, but the one where the off/low/etc.. commands are part of.

If you change anything you'll have to rediscover the devices in Alexa to pick up the change immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah it has Ben. I noticed homeseer treats it like a light switch using terms like dim etc. It’s a ge zwave fan switch

Comment

My zwave device for my ceiling fan doesn't have the IS LIGHT checked, but HS is treating it like a light that is dimmable. The IS DIMMABLE box is checked and I have control and status graphics from 0-98. Is this how it should be? I never cared until now as I always controlled it using a dim value, but should it have of/low/medium/high instead?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
              My zwave device for my ceiling fan doesn't have the IS LIGHT checked, but HS is treating it like a light that is dimmable. The IS DIMMABLE box is checked and I have control and status graphics from 0-98. Is this how it should be? I never cared until now as I always controlled it using a dim value, but should it have of/low/medium/high instead?

Thanks
              If HS can "fix" this it will make a lot of people happy. Every system I've used shows the GE Fan Switch as a Dimmer Switch. They all show Dim values and not what you would expect of off/low/med/high.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                If HS can "fix" this it will make a lot of people happy. Every system I've used shows the GE Fan Switch as a Dimmer Switch. They all show Dim values and not what you would expect of off/low/med/high.
                cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                  Here’s the Status Graphics config of my GE fan switch, with Low, Medium and High controls.

And the device on the main Device Management screen
                  I don’t believe Echo can command low, medium and high - only off, on and dim level.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

cheeryfool

Comment

If I could read the pictures I might be able to try and copy it. Is there a write up in the forum somewhere on doing this?

Comment

If I could read the pictures I might be able to try and copy it. Is there a write up in the forum somewhere on doing this?
                        cheeryfool

Comment

Much better. Now I can read that!

Question on the last image. I see you have more columns on your device list. I've modified my location1 location2 but I didn't see where to add more columns is that custom or just not obvious where to add/modify that? Having the device ID right there is very handy.

Comment

Much better. Now I can read that!

Question on the last image. I see you have more columns on your device list. I've modified my location1 location2 but I didn't see where to add more columns is that custom or just not obvious where to add/modify that? Having the device ID right there is very handy.

There are a bunch of optional columns available in Tools -> Setup -> Custom at the bottom of the Web Site Settings section.
                            cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                              There are a bunch of optional columns available in Tools -> Setup -> Custom at the bottom of the Web Site Settings section.
                              I will have to look around that area more closely. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X