No announcement yet.

New HS3 Icons are Coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was dreading this update because I dislike the new icons. After sifting through about 1 million forum posts I finally found a description of where this drop down to change back was. So I changed back. Still some of the icons are the old ones. I cleared by browser cache (twice) and restarted the browser (twice also) and it's still the same.

Any help here would be MUCH appreciated!
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Now that icon sets are stored in directories and can be selected by a drop down in setup, there is nothing to stop anyone from creating sets of alternate icons. Just build icons with the same names as used in the Contemporary and Classic sets, put the setname.txt file in the directory, drop it in \HomeSeer HS3\html\images\HomeSeer directory and you have alternate icons.

The same goes with HSTouch. Since the default project is universal with every device I have installed, an enterprising individual could modify the program graphically, leaving the underlying function the same.

I agree. It can be done manually now. I'm thinking HST could just streamline it, make it easier, include style sheets . Pack the whole theme in one package that is user selectable. If it's gets packaged, then it might be something that can be sold in the store. Personally I'm not going to spend any significant time hacking together a theme for HS. I barely have time to roll out hstouch to all the devices that can run it. I'd buy a really cool theme put together by someone with a great modern design ethic though.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
      Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
      Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        I was dreading this update because I dislike the new icons. After sifting through about 1 million forum posts I finally found a description of where this drop down to change back was. So I changed back. Still some of the icons are the old ones. I cleared by browser cache (twice) and restarted the browser (twice also) and it's still the same.

just delete the "nostatus" and "idle" icons and you'll have devices that don't have status graphics (as before).
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yea I am not a fan of the new icons either so I have changed back to classic icons
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
            I downloaded the latest HS3 with the new icons. Nice work! Icons are now much more consistent across devices, quite attractive, and no longer have the circa 1985 look and feel - . And, I can always go back to the classic look and feel, and play some Eurythmics and Dexy's Midnight Runners music when I want!

Good job. Just some comments:

1. I'm used to using a green icon of a standing person for depicting a "No Motion" status. I like green since I am accustomed to using red for devices that I should pay closer attention to when scanning a long list of devices, and green for devices that I can ignore. The Motion status is red, so I thought the No Motion status should be green (with a person standing). A green icon for No Motion would be consistent with a green icon for Closed status of doors.
            Yea, I struggled with this one a bit truthfully... could probably go either way. So attached is a green version you can copy into your contemporary folder. You'll need to change the file name to end in .gif instead of .png. The message board wouldn't let me upload the file with the wrong extension.

A)I'm not a fan of the colors used to depict On and Off status. When I scan my long list of devices late at night to see if there are any alerts or lights that I need to turn off, I'm looking for red icons (for any suspicious motion or open doors) and I used to search for the old yellow light bulbs. I like to look for lights that are on, so I can turn them off. Using a green icon for On status makes it difficult to scan, since closed doors are also green. I would have preferred maybe yellow (if one can associate yellow with a bulb these days of LEDs). But definitely something other than green would be good.

(B) As for gray for off status.... In my old GUI work, I'm accustomed to using grey to mean no status to report, or device status not available. Using grey is appropriate for the way you use it for notification devices when they have nothing to report (like the notification child device of locks). But grey for off status doesn't seem right (and neither would be red). Maybe a black icon for off (and root devices that have no status should be grey instead of black).
            On and Off are used for many devices other than lights, so light bulb images and colors didn't make a lot of sense. Also, green indicating Off won't work for many situations... particularly for appliance modules where having the device on is the preferred status... thus green. This is a case where a little individual customization probably makes the most sense.
            3. the thermostat fan mode icon looks like the old one. It's not consistent with the new look and feel.
            Good eye. Yes the fan on the "lighting and devices" button in HSTouch is different. I changed this to match that now.

4. My iOS HS3Touch app isn't showing all the new icons yet. Does it need an update?
            looks like you'll need to reinstall the IOS app.
            5. Nice garage door icons, but I have no idea how to use the garage opening, garage closing and partially closed status (I use MimoLite for my garage doors). I guess if the momentary switch is on, I can figure out if it were open, and assume it's closing (and vice versa), but momentary switch is only one for a second so it's hardly worth the effort).
            these are the default states for the new Linear garage door controller. it knows when the door is opening and closing... and reports the values that allow us to show the appropriate icons in HS3. I have one... works really well!
            Thanks again!

-
            Thanks for the thoughtful feedback
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
              just delete the "nostatus" and "idle" icons and you'll have devices that don't have status graphics (as before).

I don't know where to delete these icons from.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Mark, Thanks for the fan icons. Going with the "red" needing user attention thought...would it be possible have another icon for the Energy kWatts, and Watts? Right now they are both red and my eye seems to be constantly drawn to them. Lot of energy meters so a lots of red
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Program Files>HomeSeer HS3>html>images>HomeSeer> in that folder, you'll see "contemporary" and "classic" folders. Just delete the images from both folders.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                    Mark, Thanks for the fan icons. Going with the "red" needing user attention thought...would it be possible have another icon for the Energy kWatts, and Watts? Right now they are both red and my eye seems to be constantly drawn to them. Lot of energy meters so a lots of red
                    Are you referring to the lightning bolt with the orange background?

Comment

You would delete them from \HomeSeer HS3\html\images\HomeSeer\status

Mark may correct me, but it looks like when you change the dropdown in setup to Contemporary, Classic or some custom set you create, the files in that folder are copied to \status. I am assuming the copying takes place only when you change styles. When you changed back to classic the contents of \classic were copied to \status. Since there are no files named idle.gif and nostatus.gif in the \classic folder the contemporary images are left in place.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

2. I'm not a fan of the colors used to depict On and Off status. When I scan my long list of devices late at night to see if there are any alerts or lights that I need to turn off, I'm looking for red icons (for any suspicious motion or open doors) and I used to search for the old yellow light bulbs. I like to look for lights that are on, so I can turn them off. Using a green icon for On status makes it difficult to scan, since closed doors are also green. I would have preferred maybe yellow (if one can associate yellow with a bulb these days of LEDs). But definitely something other than green would be good.

-
                        We're changing "ON" to yellow in the next build based on feedback like this.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          You would delete them from \HomeSeer HS3\html\images\HomeSeer\status

Mark may correct me, but it looks like when you change the dropdown in setup to Contemporary, Classic or some custom set you create, the files in that folder are copied to \status. I am assuming the copying takes place only when you change styles. When you changed back to classic the contents of \classic were copied to \status. Since there are no files named idle.gif and nostatus.gif in the \classic folder the contemporary images are left in place.
                          you are correct.

Comment

We're changing "ON" to yellow in the next build based on feedback like this.
                            Great! Thanks! Also (IMO at least), Off should be either black, or the outline in black and no foreground color, and instead reserve grey for unknown status like No Notification.

Comment

Are you referring to the lightning bolt with the orange background?
                              lol, yes, I guess it is orange (or a light red), seems to force you to keep looking at them. The yellow bolt with grey or white background may be less eye catching. just a thought.

But very nice work, and love the unified theme.
                              Tom
                              baby steps...starting again with HS3
                              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Great! Thanks! Also (IMO at least), Off should be either black, or the outline in black and no foreground color, and instead reserve grey for unknown status like No Notification.
                                the yellow changed is included with the .188 build - FYI
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X