Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung Smart TV with Xfinity Recorder/Cable Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Smart TV with Xfinity Recorder/Cable Box?

I have a newer Hometroller S6 Pro running Windows. I have a TV in the living room that is connected to an Xfinity/Comcast Recorder/Cable Box Combo. When using the Harmony Hub I assume that the Harmony Hub IR Blaster needs to be set to control the Cable Box/Recorder and not the Samsung Smart TV directly. Would this be a correct assumption?
    At present I use the Xfinity Remote to Control the Samsung Smart TV via the Xfinity provided Video Recorder/Cable Unit? Also from looking over the documentation it appears that I can control ON/OFF, Volume, Set TV Channel, etc. from your Homeseer Harmony
    Plug-in. Would this also be correct. I will be using the Harmony Hub exclusively to control the Samsung Smart TV. As far as lighting, etc. seems these devices can best be controlled elsewhere within Homeseer? What are your thoughts on this? Looking to purchase your plugin but need to have some questions answered first.

If I purchase the plug-in should I use the Homeseer Installer to get plugin? Also should I stay away from the Beta Plugin for now?

Thanks Much,
    Rick Bonari

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
    I have a newer Hometroller S6 Pro running Windows. I have a TV in the living room that is connected to an Xfinity/Comcast Recorder/Cable Box Combo. When using the Harmony Hub I assume that the Harmony Hub IR Blaster needs to be set to control the Cable Box/Recorder and not the Samsung Smart TV directly. Would this be a correct assumption?
    This is more a general question on setting up the Logitech Harmony Hub (which you have to purchase separately). When setting up the activity in the Harmony Hub software, you will tell it which device changes channels, which controls volume, etc.*

At present I use the Xfinity Remote to Control the Samsung Smart TV via the Xfinity provided Video Recorder/Cable Unit?
    I'm not sure I understand the question here.

Also from looking over the documentation it appears that I can control ON/OFF, Volume, Set TV Channel, etc. from your Homeseer Harmony
    Plug-in.Would this also be correct.
    You can, but once again, you have to own a Logitech Harmony Hub. The plugin only connects your HomeSeer system to a Harmony Hub you have in your house. Also note that even though the Harmony Hub can control those things, it does not know the actual values on the device. For instance the Hub can change channels, turn the volume up and down, but does know the current channel nor the current volume level.

I will be using the Harmony Hub exclusively to control the Samsung Smart TV. As far as lighting, etc. seems these devices can best be controlled elsewhere within Homeseer? What are your thoughts on this?
    Currently the harmony hub can control other devices such as Philips Hue and with the hub extender, z-wave and zigbee devices. At the current moment, my plugin does NOT expose these devices, but I am looking into adding it. That addition won't be any time soon though. I would use other methods in HomeSeer to control your lights and just use the Hub to help trigger them (for instance, I turn on the ceiling fan in teh living room when an activity is started and turn it off when the hub powers off everything).

Looking to purchase your plugin but need to have some questions answered first.

If I purchase the plug-in should I use the Homeseer Installer to get plugin? Also should I stay away from the Beta Plugin for now?

Thanks Much,
    Rick Bonari
    As of right now, while I do some testing from upgrading form the current non-beta to the newest beta (which will be a final release), I would stick with the beta. There are a lot of major changes made. I am about to finalize this beta. I use the "Beta" section because it gives me near instant access to release to people who are having issues.

Basically, for right now, use the BETA! If you don't own a Harmony Hub yet, don't install the plugin until you do. There is a 30 day trial that starts when you first start the plugin. This will give you some time to see if the plugin works for you

Please ask as many questions as you want. I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

*Note, I just want to be clear that this plugin connects a Logitech Harmony Hub to HomeSeer. It does not include that hardware, nor do I sell it. You can get if from Amazon or a retailer of your choice. There are different models though, so you should research which one is best for your use. As long as it is a "Harmony [b]Hub]/b]" my plugin can connect to it. Do not confuse this with a Harmony remote, which may not include the Hub.

Comment

Frank,

Yes, I do have the Harmony Hub and am aware that homeseer can't get status of devices from Harmony Hub via plugin due to limitations of the Harmony Hub API. Just want to be able to control the devices. Thanks much !!!! Rick

Comment

Frank,

Yes, I do have the Harmony Hub and am aware that homeseer can't get status of devices from Harmony Hub via plugin due to limitations of the Harmony Hub API. Just want to be able to control the devices. Thanks much !!!! Rick
        In that case, yes. You can control all if the devices on the hub even if they aren't part of the current activity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X