"Comm xx already open"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Comm xx already open"

Blade, first of all I would like to say thank you for such a great plug-in! You saved me alot of work

I have been using this for about a month without a hitch, reboots etc. Today when I rebooted all I get is "AB8SS COM10 is open", no matter what I do?

This is on an USB to serial port cable, FTDI based chipset. I have tried rebooting, changing comport numbers, shutting down - unplugging

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EDIT: I should add that the HACS utility works fine with HS open and the plugin comm closed.
    Last edited by skybolt; March 22, 2013, 02:27 PM.
    -Skybolt

Ok, this sucks. I removed the plugin, the usb port. Installed a new usb to serial converter (Prolific) on a never used port. reinstalled the plugin and I still get the same thing! What gives??? The only new devices added were a Z-Waze sensor and a couple of Insteon modules.

maybe I am missing the error:

3/22/2013 3:26:15 PM - Error - In SetDeviceLastChange:Length of argument 'String' must be greater than zero.
    3/22/2013 3:26:15 PM - Error - In SetDeviceStringByName:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I get this five times in a row. the "AB8SS #1 - COM3 is open".

I was thinking this was a comport error, but maybe not?

EDIT: I forgot, I am running th elatest plugin: 1.0.12
    Last edited by skybolt; March 22, 2013, 03:10 PM.
    -Skybolt

Comment

USB to serial devices have caused me nothing but trouble. I am running 2 AB8SS devices here using 2 regular PCI com port boards in the PC with no issues at all for years.

I would try a PCI serial board. The USB to serial is likely the issue
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Also check that the MSCommControl.reg file was executed.
        It is in the /Data/BLAB8SS/Registration under your HS root
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
          USB to serial devices have caused me nothing but trouble. I am running 2 AB8SS devices here using 2 regular PCI com port boards in the PC with no issues at all for years.

I would try a PCI serial board. The USB to serial is likely the issue
          I have to agree with the usb to serial thing, unfortunetly I have no choice as I am running HS on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119056

That being said, that isn't the issue here, I was able to get things working again after a fun filled afternoon of playing around with the plugin's ini file.

The first thing I did was to copy off the HS dir, and then deleted the ini file, which recreated everything and it all just started working again, except for all of my events based on the old ini.

To make a long story longer, in the end I am back working with my original HS Pro setup and a modified ini file.

I only have one AB8SS, so after the install I deleted the #2 devices from with in HS. And changed the location of the remaining devices. What seems to be the issue is the #2 device strings in the ini not being set.

I was runing for a few weeks without an issue but putting the defaut #2 settings in the ini seemed to fix things today.
          -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
          X