Recommendation on Away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation on Away?

I have HS3 routines called going out and coming home that are triggered by buttons near our door. Would it be best to force Nest into away mode based on this and out of it when we come home -or- depend on the motion sensing home and away in the Nest?

As I understand it the Nest will go into away mode when it stops detecting motion. However, if I force it into away mode then this is different as it will not come out of away mode based on motion but only when I explicitly tell it.

Is that correct? What do others advise? Thanks.

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    I have HS3 routines called going out and coming home that are triggered by buttons near our door. Would it be best to force Nest into away mode based on this and out of it when we come home -or- depend on the motion sensing home and away in the Nest?

As I understand it the Nest will go into away mode when it stops detecting motion. However, if I force it into away mode then this is different as it will not come out of away mode based on motion but only when I explicitly tell it.

Is that correct? What do others advise? Thanks.
    I don't believe this is correct any more. Away mode (which can now only be set from the app or the web) does not "stick" any more.

From the Nest support page:

The only way to have the Eco temperatures "stick" regardless of Home/Away assist is to set each thermostat to Eco mode. Which is fortunately easy to do if you have HomeSeer.

Comment

Since I originally posted this I can confirm that the eco mode is the only one that will stick. The Away mode can be easily reversed by motion in the house (in my case a dog).

Comment

Working...
      X