WiFi puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi puzzle

I encountered a problem with WiFi reception over the last few days that I've never seen before.

I have a wireless router in the basement (in my wiring closet) and two WAPs on the first floor of a one story house. Normally reception is very good to excellent both inside and outside. Yesterday, though, I had several HSTouch tablets and one laptop repetedly report loss of connection. The wireless setup (one iOS, the others Win 10) reported that the network was connected, but the Windows devices claimed no internet access. Operationally, though, they did not have access to the LAN. Turning WiFi off and back on or restarting the tablets only confirmed that they could not connect to the LAN.

If I physically moved the devices by either reorienting them or translating them a few feet, then turning WiFi off and back on, they reconnected to the LAN - and HSTouch as well. Placing them back in their original positions seemed to be okay, but after a few hours they would lose the LAN connection again. Same symptoms.

Today they are all working well again. The only difference is that we had A LOT OF RAIN yesterday. Relative humidity was high outside, but it always is when it rains. Inside it was around 50%, typical for this time of year.

Any ideas on what was going on? I'm really looking for suggestions for preventing or diagnosing in the future.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Someone nearby has set up a WiFi using the same channel?
    Have you a scanner you can see who is using what channels?

Comment

I occasionally have a similar issue on very rainy days. I have cable internet and had to loosen and re-tighten as many barrel ends as I could get my hands on. I also did the same with the RJ45 ends from the cable modem to the router, simply popping out and wiggling when going back in.

I have considered a drop of WD-40 on the barrel connectors to try and keep a crusty buildup from slowly occurring over time.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        I occasionally have a similar issue on very rainy days. I have cable internet and had to loosen and re-tighten as many barrel ends as I could get my hands on. I also did the same with the RJ45 ends from the cable modem to the router, simply popping out and wiggling when going back in.

I have considered a drop of WD-40 on the barrel connectors to try and keep a crusty buildup from slowly occurring over time.
        Use silicone grease, instead.....
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
          Someone nearby has set up a WiFi using the same channel?
          Have you a scanner you can see who is using what channels?
          Likely. I recommend this: https://inssider.en.softonic.com/
          Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

I had similar issues when we moved to this house and when I did a scan, found that I can see roughly 40 wireless networks from my house and most on the same channel (2.4 ghz is saturated these days). So I went a bought a ubiquiti wap and boosted the power to max and moved the problem to my neighbors. Dick move? Maybe, but I dont have issues anymore. Also I am pretty much on 5 ghz for everything now which is a bigger and better managed vs 2.4 ghz and has less peeps on it.

Comment

Thank you all for your inputs. I definitely plan to look into InSSIDer. If nothing else is will be an interesting insight into my WiFi environment.

Concerning other networks, I thought about that, but discounted it because it was a short-term issue and very localized. In fact, the tablet furthest from a WAP has had no trouble. I broadcast with high power and my phone showed a strong signal when held next to a tablet that couldn't connect. Lots are large and houses are far apart, so most competing signals are much weaker (20 dB lower). I've attached a list of networks detected by my external AP (EnGenius). The two marked are my router and other WAP. Do you see any clues in the list?

The loose connection issue is intriguing. I don't think it's a problem with the coax connection, since most of my wireless devices and all my wired devices did not experience a problem, but I'm wondering if the RJ45 connector to the WAP I have mounted on an exterior wall might have been affected by the rain. It's under an overhang, and rated for exterior use, but. . .
              It appears to be working well now, in any case.

FWIW, the tablet that had the most trouble is very close to the external AP, but should also be within range of the router as well. Is it possible that the signal is too strong?
              Attached Files
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Hmmmmm.... SWAG is that Ch. 2 (in 2.4 GHz) is bad JuJu..... stick with 1, 6, & 11.....
                Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post

I'd avoid WD40 but try Servisol switch cleaner.

Comment

@Mike,

I have not ever seen the issue you are describing. That said wireless propagation is somewhat magical.

Over the years have left the Ubiquiti OS AP's alone and moved from using DD-WRT to OpenWRT on test AP's. I currently have the OpenWRTs set to 100Mw and have picked least used channels seeing around 33-35 local AP's here.

HSTouch clients are all wired except for two of them which have their antennas built in and only primarily utilized for testing.

Also the HSTouch clients are using custom mac addresses for management purposes here; well easy to find this way.

Personally I would try a wireless footprint survey using the laptop and software as described, pick a channel 1,6, or 11.

Channels 1,6 or 11 are non overlapping channels) and maybe crank on the power a bit.

[ATTACH]60541[/ATTACH]

Local scan is showing 33-35 WAP's in the area. My AP #1 and #2 in the picture here are on the second floor in opposite sides of the house.

[ATTACH]60542[/ATTACH]

You had me looking over here at local WAPs. Primarily here use one main AP on the second floor and two test AP's on the second floor which cover the main floor and basement.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X