Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Group Event to disable lights so my son will sleep at night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

Maybe due to my lack of sleep or I'm just to dumb to figure this out

Need help with an a group event to disable a few lights in the house between 10pm to 7am everyday.

My son has Asperger syndrome and he's refuses to go to sleep by doing random things like going to the toilet and emptying 10 times in the space of 2 hours. He seems to only go to sleep when he feels really tired at around 2am.

To encourage him to sleep ( He is 13yold btw ) I want to disable his light and the hallway light and the bathroom light between 10pm to 7am everyday.

I've created the events to this but I have to disable/enable each event manually.

Ideally I'd create a Virtual device and set to Jordan Sleep ON / OFF

Need help on getting this Virtual device to enable the group of events in the pic attached or if anyone can suggest a better way of achieving this.

Thanks all.
    Attached Files

Well, you have a few options here. If you like the idea of using a virtual device because it can be turned on and off at will then just make it and have a condition in the events be that the virtual device be on (or off, depending on how you word it). Just create an event to run at 10 that turns the virtual device on (or off depending) and a second that runs at 3 which turns it off (or on, depending). This is probably how I'd do it and skip the group conditions bit as group conditions are a mess. You could also use Easy Trigger.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

+1 for a virtual device that is a condition on the events you want to disable.

Also, see this post for an important warning about group conditions.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks guys, So easy I should have thought if it. But was having a brain block

Will setup the event below for each light. Will also create another event to trigger the virtual device to ON from 10pm to 7am.
        Attached Files

Comment

To the best of my understanding, the way this is configured your son would attempt to turn the light on, it would turn on for a moment, and then get turned off once the event runs. Is this the goal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
            To the best of my understanding, the way this is configured your son would attempt to turn the light on, it would turn on for a moment, and then get turned off once the event runs. Is this the goal?

Correct, but I don't see another way to do this without flipping a breaker.

Unfortunately, you may have created a "toy" for him to play with in doing this though. Another option would be (and this is untested), get an HS switch that allows for you to set things based off pushing the button on the switch (double tap/triple tap stuff). I use the single tap to control the level of light in the room depending on the time of day, and its fairly responsive. Basically just tap the light on, sets the light to the right level. You could create an event with this switch to turn the light off if tapped on. It may be quick enough to not even turn the light on... just an idea.

Comment

Good point, a scene capable switch could be configured with single tap on to set off during the period of time you want your son asleep.

Last edited by Kerat; April 21, 2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Just a bit of brainstorming, but since you can't not turn the light on, could you cut it on at a 1% dim rate (or something along those lines)?
                HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                Home Assistant 2024.3
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

While I find this discussion to be interesting and enlightening, the empirical side of me is wondering what the OP's experience has been so far. After all, he did say that he was doing this manually, but wanted to automate it.
                  • Does his son accept the auto off without complaint?
                  • Does the light turn off so fast it isn't noticeable?
                  • Does the effectiveness of the scheme 'wear off' over time?
                  • Are there unanticipated problems?
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Solve with upb

With upb you can program the button to respond to a button push but not turn the load (lighting) on. So during sleep times you can have the button send a signal to homeseer but would not turn on the light. During day time the same button push will send same signal but using A conditional event you can have the light turn on. Obvious downside is that the switch is dependent on homeseer to turn light on. If Homeseer is down then no ability to turn on light. Though a workaround is to program a double click to turn on load which wouldn't require HS.

Comment

Working...
                    X