HS-Elk-Aprilaire 8870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-Elk-Aprilaire 8870

I just added a two Aprilaire 8870 thermostats to my Elk system. The Elk M1 Plug-in does a fantastic job monitoring the settings and controlling the HVAC in my house.

What I was hoping to do was report when the AC or Heat is actually running. I can adjust the setpoints, change the modes, turn the fan off or Auto but is there a way in HS to have an event trigger a virtual device to indicate the that AC is on?

I thought I could compare the T-Stat current temperature with the setpoint using an event but do not see that option using the plug-in.

Am I missing something, anyone else have a typical setup?

Thanks.

Hi Will

Had a look at documentation of the device and I couldnt see where it could be implemented. What I ended up doing was driving 3 realys on my aircon ie: Fan, Compressor and Heat Valve and feeding that into 3 elk inputs. I can now see exactly what its doing. I had an issue last year where the unit would not defrost properly and the whole coil turned into a block of ice so now if its in heat mode and runs for more than 1 hour, I know there is an issue and HS lets me know.

Cheers..Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the pointers. I am working on the fool proof way of doing it with a relay on my oil burner and a CR Magnetic AC current transformer on my AC condenser and an X10 Powerflash module. The CT works great, the Powerflash (well you know how the X10 goes) most times it works.

I need to get a wire from the Elk to the AC condenser outside and use a 24VAC relay instead.

For the meantime this little AC script that triggers with an actual temperature devicevalue change works fine by comparing the actual temp and the setpoint for each zone.

Sub Main()
      Dim AC_1Temp
      Dim AC_1Set
      AC_1Temp = hs.DeviceValue("^4")
      AC_1Set = hs.DeviceValue("^6")
      if (AC_1Temp) > (AC_1Set) then
      hs.writelog "AC","1st Floor AC is on"
      hs.execx10 "O1","on",0
      hs.TriggerEvent "1st Flr AC is On"
      else
      hs.writelog "AC","1st Floor AC is off"
      hs.execx10 "O1","off",0
      exit sub
      end if
      End Sub

Comment

Hi Will

I think I ended up using 12vdc relays and made a 1/2 ave bridge rectifier to drive the relays. The 24VDC ones here are expensive and I had a few of the others laying about. Must admit it works a treat and can set rules to manage it all nicely

Good luck with your endeavors

Pete
        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
        X