Email Event Triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Event Triggers

I may have missed something and have not found any references to this problem using the search feature - thanks in advance for any advice regarding this problem.

The problem is this: When sending an email to HS to trigger an event HS triggers the designated event and then proceeds to trigger every other event configured for an email trigger - if there are six events configured for email triggers (yes, they all have different names...) all the events are triggered in succession even though only one email with, for example, "triggerevent1" in the message header is received, HS triggers that event and then proceeds to trigger events 2-5 immediately thereafter.

This is a new installation, version 2.5.0.49. This is in a rural area, there is no phone service and the internet connection is via a wireless (not satellite) service using NAT, so the web server is not reachable. The system is running XP and Outlook Express - I've tried other email clients with no change in behavior. There seems to be no problem with either receiving or sending email from HS.

Thanks again.

So your events trigger is "email received" for all of your events?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

All the events that execute after receipt of an email are configured for "email received." Events that are configured to trigger by any means other than email received do not trigger upon the receipt of the email - those events seem to work correctly.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bj16509 View Post
        All the events that execute after receipt of an email are configured for "email received." Events that are configured to trigger by any means other than email received do not trigger upon the receipt of the email - those events seem to work correctly.

Thanks
        So you set up multiple events which all have a trigger of email received and you only expect one of them to trigger?

Comment

Since the user's guide makes no mention of a limit on those events, and since it indicates that the events are differentiated by the name of the specific event in the header - yes I do expect that.

Judging from the tone of your answer I think I know all I need to know about this subject and HS. It's regrettable that I already purchased it.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Are you going by this page in the help file?
            http://www.homeseer.com/support/home...devcontrol.htm
            If so according to the help files it should work but to be honest I'm not sure this has been tested in years as this feature seems to be not used a lot. Let me know if you are using this help page and you are in fact putting the event name in the subject field.

Comment

Just a quick chime in here, I've used this feature for a while to trigger an event that turns on a voice mail indicator. I have not had a chance to look at it yet but it's on my list of things to do. It hasn't worked a few months now, i believe since I upgraded HS to the current release version.

BTW bj16509 that was a pretty crappy response to someone who was trying to understand your problem so he could properly help you.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

That is the information that I used - it is duplicated in the User Guide. Referring to the last few lines:

Forcing an Event to Trigger

You can include the name of an existing event in your E-mail. If you would like to trigger the event named "all lights off", put the following command in the subject line:
                triggerevent:all lights off

In fact the software appears to only be parsing the first letter of the message header - if the only letter in the header is a "t" or an "e" then the software will execute all events configured for an email trigger. I haven't tested any other letters but it's clear that only the first letter is parsed - if the header is blank the software does not execute email events.

It would be very helpful to prospective purchasers if someone would put a sentence into the documentation indicating that this is the case.

Comment

I didn't intend for my questions to be crappy, I'm not near my HomeSeer server so i cant check. I wasn't really sure how this option should work so I was asking how the user had set this up. Then I went into the help files to see what was mentioned. It sounds like this is a bug if its not working.

Comment

Rupp, reread my post, the comment was not directed to you, just the opposite in fact. Your question was not crappy at all.
                    Marty
                    ------
                    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I have one event that is triggered by received email. The event runs a script that checks the subject of the email to decide what to do.
                      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                        I have one event that is triggered by received email. The event runs a script that checks the subject of the email to decide what to do.
                        Is that event still working for you. I looked at my setup today a bit. HomeSeer is still able to send an Email when needed but I don't seem to be able to receive an Email. Maybe Verizon changed something but if they did i haven't found it yet. One other thing I haven't found is a way to know if HomeSeer is receiving or not. I tried the debug mode 512 which is supposed to give me detailed logs of server and email activity but i don't see anything related to email in them.
                        Marty
                        ------

Comment

Marty,
                          As far as I can tell. It responded to an email from mcsSprinklers yesterday. The event should run every time it sees an email from my email address to my email address. I have HS send me an email every day with a status summary and my current IP address, so in principle, I could have an event to check to see if that email was received and notify me if it wasn't.
                          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Now that I've started to look at this I'm puzzled. It sounds like yours is working. I only have one Email trigger from based on an email address. For now I have to assume that something changed in Verizon but I can't confirm that and I don't get any errors in the log about it having trouble logging into the verizon email servers. Outgoing event generated email is doing just fine, just the incoming is giving me trouble.

Thanks for the response, I'll keep playing with it, thankfully it's not a critical event.
                            Marty
                            ------

Comment

I'm feeling rather silly as i sit here. I looked at every problem i could think of, except the simple one i should have checked first. I had an even that was corrupted, I recreated the event and all is well. Goes to show no matter how long you're here the little simple things still stick it to you.
                              Marty
                              ------

Comment

Working...
                              X