Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
    So now I am completely confused.

I tried two different non-Apple access points and the behaviour was identical. My iPhone 5S still accurately reported online/offline status irrespective of whether it was in sleep/locked mode or not.

Switching WiFi off on the phone produced the expected Offline status update after the designated 3 ping fails from BLLAN.

At this point I would be interested if Bob can confirm how this works as I have failed entirely in explaining why it works flawlessly on my iPhone but doesn't for others.

------------------------
    EDITed to remove erroneous info about failed pings from PC to iphone, which appears to be a failure of the PC used. My HS machine was able to ping my iPhone.
    My 5 didn't stay awake, yet my 6 does. It occurs to me that I have GeoFency and FollowMee running in the background, both of which use an amalgam of WiFi and GPS to determine location. I was not running those apps on my 5. I wonder if they are keeping the WiFi alive.

My wife is also running those same apps and hers never fails a ping when it is home.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I had the same thought last night, but didn't test it until you mentioned it. I turned on followmee and the iphone 5s shows off when not in use.
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Could difference be related to whether or not the setting "Background App Refresh" is on or off?

Comment

Switching background app refresh off made no difference to me. However switching off FollowMee and GeoFency did. With both services off, pings start failing. With FollowMee back on, the phone shows online again. I didn't get a chance to try GeoFency on with FollowMee off before leaving for work, but we now know that other geolocating services are what's allowing BLLAN to reliably operate for Randy and I. I will try GeoFency on with FollowMee off tonight to see if that works too.
          cheeryfool

Comment

Switching background app refresh off made no difference to me. However switching off FollowMee and GeoFency did. With both services off, pings start failing. With FollowMee back on, the phone shows online again. I didn't get a chance to try GeoFency on with FollowMee off before leaving for work, but we now know that other geolocating services are what's allowing BLLAN to reliably operate for Randy and I. I will try GeoFency on with FollowMee off tonight to see if that works too.
            With FollowMee off and Geofency on, my BLLAN loses contact with my phone in sleep mode.

Therefore, for me, it's FollowMee that is keeping my iPhone 5s pingable and that works for me.
            cheeryfool

Comment

With FollowMee off and Geofency on, my BLLAN loses contact with my phone in sleep mode.

Therefore, for me, it's FollowMee that is keeping my iPhone 5s pingable and that works for me.
              Thank you so much for your efforts to test this out. I tested Followmee and btraced on my phone this morning. With either one on or just one on, BLLAN still says the iphone is off. I haven't used followmee or btraced in months, but just tested it out. My followmee Track Interval is set at 10min?

Randy were you able to duplicate cheeryfool's findings.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                Thank you so much for your efforts to test this out. I tested Followmee and btraced on my phone this morning. With either one on or just one on, BLLAN still says the iphone is off. I haven't used followmee or btraced in months, but just tested it out. My followmee Track Interval is set at 10min?

Here are my FollowMee settings in case there's anything majorly different from your's.
                cheeryfool

Comment

GOT IT WORKING! Thanks for this Cheeryfool. You should work for the NIH and cure some diseases
                  I've looked at BLLAN off and on since HS2 and never figured this out.
                  The only thing different with my followmee setting were Tracking Interval: 10mins and Power Saving Mode: High
                  I played with both and what make BLLAN see the iphone is if Tracking Interval is set at 5min or less. Power Saving Mode doesn't seem to make a difference.

Blade you may want to add this note for iphone users. Using followmee with Tracking interval set to 5min or less makes the iphone visible to BLLAN. Thanks for this great plugin!
                  Tom

Comment

Yes, FollowMee is the one that keeps WiFi alive on my phone. Tracking interval 2 minutes.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

GOT IT WORKING! Thanks for this Cheeryfool. You should work for the NIH and cure some diseases
                      I've looked at BLLAN off and on since HS2 and never figured this out.
                      The only thing different with my followmee setting were Tracking Interval: 10mins and Power Saving Mode: High
                      I played with both and what make BLLAN see the iphone is if Tracking Interval is set at 5min or less. Power Saving Mode doesn't seem to make a difference.

Blade you may want to add this note for iphone users. Using followmee with Tracking interval set to 5min or less makes the iphone visible to BLLAN. Thanks for this great plugin!

Great. Happy to help.
                      cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks for your input, cherryfool! I'm not a user of followmee. Looks interesting, though I'm a bit leery about privacy concerns, higher battery usage, and last but not least, if my wife wouldn't mind having an app on her iPhone so I can track her every move! I actually use Apple's Find Friends and it manges to provide its service while consuming little power. It seems less obtrusive when sitting in other people's phones. However, with Find Friends, if you stop using the phone, ping stops working. The phone is still doing work (such as getting emails) so it is accessible. Just not ping. There must be a way apple communicates to other devices and for other devices to tell if the iPhone is there. Maybe Bonjour/mDNS protocol. I'll need to do more research if there's an alternative to just running ping to determine the presence of an iPhone

Comment

So I've moved on to the next step to set up events for my iphone's virtual device. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the virtual devices status does not change.

Here are the events:
                          Attached Files
                          Tom

Comment

So I've moved on to the next step to set up events for my iphone's virtual device. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but the virtual devices status does not change.

Here are the events:

What are you trying to do?

I have events that key directly off the status change of the BLLAN device for my iPhone.
                            cheeryfool

Comment

Ok I didn't realize that BLLAN creates a devices directly. Some of Blade's plugin's seem like you had to set up a virtual device for state(don't remember for sure).
                              Ok in events
                              Device Value Is > This Device Changes and Becomes > Choose Tom's iPhone(created by BLLAN) > the only options I get are
                              1. custom value or value range
                              2. Set to "Any Value"
                              3. An Invalid or Error State

So this is why I thought I had to create a virtual device first. There is no "ON" in the last option for me?
                              Tom

Comment

1 is on and 0 is off I believe.
                                Originally posted by rprade
                                There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Working...
                                X