Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo API and Web User Account Requirements

Hello All,

Note: edited this to add the comment that the native Echo API support has this issue as well, just realized the forum was specifically for the Skill, which is slightly different. I believe the same thing impacts both, but for sure the native Echo functionality.

Is anyone using the Homeseer Echo skill without having a web user set with +Local? In other words has anyone gotten the Echo skill to work and requiring username and password on the web page?

Unfortunately I find HS3's authentication process a mess. The default, and only thing that works well, is to have one user set with +Local, meaning that user doesn't have to provide a password to login.

One of the buggy side effects is that it's almost impossible to have 2 user names with one set to +Local, because HS3 will default to that user account 19 out of 20 times without prompting for the account name. I've found that if I hit logout over and over it will eventually (anywhere from 1 to 20 refreshes) prompt for the name and password.

I would like to have 2 user accounts, one admin and one normal, because I try to limit the devices that are visible to the normal user account, which my wife uses. That is build in to the device configuration page - you can limit the account access. No reason to confuse her with hundreds of devices she doesn't understand or need to see/interact with.

I've found however that if I turn off the +Local account access, the Echo skill will not function. It would be nice if Homeseer would account for their own configuration options within the web security architecture and allow a working Echo skill and account for non-local accounts.

Anyone else trying to get these 2 functions working together (multiple web users with passwords and Amazon echo)? Anything I missed here? Am I completely off base?

There's nothing in the Amazon Echo skill documentation that SAYS you have to have Local account access enabled, but that's been my experience. Could anybody validate this for me?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by mterry63; February 19, 2017, 11:10 AM.
Working...
X