POTS Line to Cellular Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POTS Line to Cellular Modem

I have family that raises chickens, lots of chickens. They have some sort of controller which monitors Temp, Power and other telemetry. Apparently if something is amiss, it will call them. I'm guessing there's a robot voice saying something is wrong. Anyways, the phone line has been out for two weeks apparently, and they want me to investigate moving to a Cellular Modem. Not really my area of expertise. I would say if it has a POTS line it's time for an upgrade right away.
    Anyways, so a Cellular Modem with a POTS line connection which provides a dialtone? Fascimile Cellular Modem?

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
    I have family that raises chickens, lots of chickens. They have some sort of controller which monitors Temp, Power and other telemetry. Apparently if something is amiss, it will call them. I'm guessing there's a robot voice saying something is wrong. Anyways, the phone line has been out for two weeks apparently, and they want me to investigate moving to a Cellular Modem. Not really my area of expertise. I would say if it has a POTS line it's time for an upgrade right away.
    Anyways, so a Cellular Modem with a POTS line connection which provides a dialtone? Fascimile Cellular Modem?
    AT&T Home Internet. It's a cellular modem with a standard RJ11 jack for connecting a phone. It's an always on solution intended to replace a normal phone line.

Comment

They have Verizon, and they have a Novatel Broadband Router with Voice in the house. I'm not sure they need Ethernet/Router at this location. Don't they make cellular modems for home alarm panels these days? Don't residential alarm panels place a phone call?

https://www.google.com/search?q=nova...jmchmA4sHQb8M:

Comment

Maybe use an ATA, VoIP gateway!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

They can't use an ATA, the house is quite aways from the needed location.
          I found this Verizon Home Phone Connect. I think that's what they need. I did find a couple of industrial devices you put a sim card in, but they were 500 bucks.

Comment

Sounds like they had an old POTs vacation home monitor box which I used to have in the 80's or 90's which had a relay switch and temperature sensors on it .
            I think I kept it someplace here. Not sure if it was maybe a Heathkit?

Here today using an old unlocked Ericsson W25 3G modem that provides a landline and internet backup.

Been working fine now for the last few years and currently serves as a backup to my internet (it is a failover for the PFSense box).

Picked it up for $25 used. Works fine with Voice, FAX, Data, et al. It was a standard mobility office / offshore marine device a few years back mostly internationally. These types of devices have been around for years. Here also have and utilize a small combo WAP / SMS portable LTE device and a dual sim mobile command center (disaster site communcations) device which work OK.

[ATTACH]69407[/ATTACH]

I do want to switch to a more modern LTE combo modem sometime or another.

BTW if I telnet / ssh or serially connect to it I can send SSH messages with the device.
            Last edited by Pete; June 19, 2018, 05:50 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
            X