No announcement yet.

Trouble adding 2nd Z-Net as a Secondary Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not positive how the interface gets into this state, but I suspect there is some communications going on at the Z-Wave protocol level as it detects other interfaces on Z-Wave.

Try this, power off all of you Z-Wave interfaces, then just power on the one that is not working properly. Then do an erase on that interface and make sure it has a unique Home ID. If the Home ID is not unique, edit a node back up file and enter a randome Home ID and then restore the nodes to the interface so the Home ID getst assigned. Then power off this interface and power on the other ones. Then add the new interface and see if the option is now there.

You could check first that it has a unique Home ID, if it has an ID that is assigned to any other interface, then that is the reason the option is not there.

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to get the option

"Make this interface an Inclusion Controller (secondary) on another network"

to be available in the controller down menu. I would prefer to add a secondary controller so that the 12 or so nodes that it will control do not have to be excluded from the primary and then included in a new network. This would break all events associated with the devices and really not add any benefit as opposed to making it a SIS controller.

I have tried erasing the Z-Net2 controller first, no luck.

There are several threads about this, but no answers. The option is simply not there on either interface. In addition, when I restart HomeSeer the new interface I added shows as the Primary, even though it is still blank.

In the screenshots below, Z-Net1 is my current primary controller, Z-Net2 is the one I would like to add as an SIS controller. After restarting HomeSeer the "Z-Wave Networks and Options" group at the top now shows Z-Net2 as the primary, even though it has no node information in it. Z-Net1 is still controlling the network and functioning properly. The option to add a SIS controller is not under either interface.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      I am not positive how the interface gets into this state, but I suspect there is some communications going on at the Z-Wave protocol level as it detects other interfaces on Z-Wave.

Try this, power off all of you Z-Wave interfaces, then just power on the one that is not working properly. Then do an erase on that interface and make sure it has a unique Home ID. If the Home ID is not unique, edit a node back up file and enter a randome Home ID and then restore the nodes to the interface so the Home ID getst assigned. Then power off this interface and power on the other ones. Then add the new interface and see if the option is now there.

You could check first that it has a unique Home ID, if it has an ID that is assigned to any other interface, then that is the reason the option is not there.
      Rich;

I actually already tried that and it did not work. I will attempt it again this weekend and see if I can get you better details.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

OK, I had time this weekend to try again. I built a restore file with just a different Home ID and no nodes. I restored it to the new controller, shut down HomeSeer and added the new controller to HomeSeer. It showed up as a new home ID as shown in the first screenshot. As you can see, the option to add it as a secondary inclusion controller is now there. Unfortunately I cannot get the process to work. I have tried three times and it always ends like is shown in the second screenshot.
        Attached Files

Comment

Was the secondary really close to the primary? It must be within direct range to add.

OK, I had time this weekend to try again. I built a restore file with just a different Home ID and no nodes. I restored it to the new controller, shut down HomeSeer and added the new controller to HomeSeer. It showed up as a new home ID as shown in the first screenshot. As you can see, the option to add it as a secondary inclusion controller is now there. Unfortunately I cannot get the process to work. I have tried three times and it always ends like is shown in the second screenshot.

Comment

Was the secondary really close to the primary? It must be within direct range to add.
            About 20 feet. I didn't try any closer. I hadn't read nor did I know anything about their needing to be proximate to one another.

After fiddling with this for a couple of weeks, I decided it really didn't need to be a secondary inclusion controller. The only reason I was doing that was to keep from having to delete 10 nodes from one controller and add then to a new network, then fix the associated events. I also was unable to add the Z-Net as a new network.

As is usually the case, it really wasn't that bad. I filtered my event list on all of the devices I was going to move, moved the devices, then edited the events. It took all of an hour, not really a big deal.

This network was for a shed/workshop, loaded with Jasco light and power switches and I really needed instant status on some of them. Coupled with the instant status issue, they were occasionally unresponsive, even with careful route optimization. Since the switches couldn't communicate directly with the house controller, I decided to put one out there - less expensive than 10 new switches. A separate network cured the problems.

I do know now that I have to restore from a backup with a new network ID, if the controller has ever been part of the primary network. It might be worthwhile to provide a mechanism within the controller management page that just initializes a controller, erasing all remnant nodes and HomeID. I couldn't add this controller as a new network until I restored from the bogus backup file I created. Once I did that I was able to get the choice to make it a secondary inclusion controller or a new network. Before I did the restore neither was possible.

I am sure these problems wouldn't present themselves with a brand new controller, but I'll bet there are others who might want to press a used controller into service on an existing network, either as a secondary inclusion controller or a new network.

Comment

When you do an erase its suppose to assign a new Home ID, but sometimes it does not and I do have a note to fix that.

About 20 feet. I didn't try any closer. I hadn't read nor did I know anything about their needing to be proximate to one another.

After fiddling with this for a couple of weeks, I decided it really didn't need to be a secondary inclusion controller. The only reason I was doing that was to keep from having to delete 10 nodes from one controller and add then to a new network, then fix the associated events. I also was unable to add the Z-Net as a new network.

As is usually the case, it really wasn't that bad. I filtered my event list on all of the devices I was going to move, moved the devices, then edited the events. It took all of an hour, not really a big deal.

This network was for a shed/workshop, loaded with Jasco light and power switches and I really needed instant status on some of them. Coupled with the instant status issue, they were occasionally unresponsive, even with careful route optimization. Since the switches couldn't communicate directly with the house controller, I decided to put one out there - less expensive than 10 new switches. A separate network cured the problems.

I do know now that I have to restore from a backup with a new network ID, if the controller has ever been part of the primary network. It might be worthwhile to provide a mechanism within the controller management page that just initializes a controller, erasing all remnant nodes and HomeID. I couldn't add this controller as a new network until I restored from the bogus backup file I created. Once I did that I was able to get the choice to make it a secondary inclusion controller or a new network. Before I did the restore neither was possible.

I am sure these problems wouldn't present themselves with a brand new controller, but I'll bet there are others who might want to press a used controller into service on an existing network, either as a secondary inclusion controller or a new network.

Comment

When you do an erase its suppose to assign a new Home ID, but sometimes it does not and I do have a note to fix that.
                That is probably what put me in a loop. Because it was not assigning a new Home ID, HS always tried to make it part of the existing network. This problem would not appear on a new "virgin" controller, only one that was being repurposed from an existing network.

Comment

Multiple Z-Net Controllers

I have a house with my HS system in it and a Z-Net. I put a 2nd Z-Net in my shop that is about 100 feet from the house but has Cat6 running to it so both Z-Nets are on the same network. I added the 2nd in the shop to run Z-Wave items in the shop. Am I better off just leaving both as primary Z-Nets? One event I want to set up for example is a one button "Lock All" to lock all the doors in the house and the shop at the same time.

I am VERY new to all of this so pardon any ignorance.

Comment

Since the other network is so far, yes, make the other z-net its own separate network.

Note that you need to do this if the Z-Net's cannot communicate with each other. They need to communicate over Z-Wave in order to exchange node info.

Originally posted by IFlyRC80 View Post
                    I have a house with my HS system in it and a Z-Net. I put a 2nd Z-Net in my shop that is about 100 feet from the house but has Cat6 running to it so both Z-Nets are on the same network. I added the 2nd in the shop to run Z-Wave items in the shop. Am I better off just leaving both as primary Z-Nets? One event I want to set up for example is a one button "Lock All" to lock all the doors in the house and the shop at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by IFlyRC80 View Post

The "lock all" and such will still work the same no matter if they are separate networks. I ended up with 3 separate networks in my house. One on each end of the house and one in the detached workshop garages.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                        The "lock all" and such will still work the same no matter if they are separate networks. I ended up with 3 separate networks in my house. One on each end of the house and one in the detached workshop garages.
                        Thank you for the quick response. I'll just leave them both as primary, I guess I don't see the point in the Primary/Secondary role then.

Comment

I think I understand now why I was having issues adding a new znet here.

So my plan also was to place my old znet (which is still working for now) in my new detached shop. So once I have imported and fully optimized my new znet, I will make the old znet part of a separate network...not secondary.

So when I start adding devices out there, I assume I will have the option during the inclusion of which znet for the operation?

Tks
                          HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Originally posted by Mario23 View Post
                            So when I start adding devices out there, I assume I will have the option during the inclusion of which znet for the operation?

Tks

Yes you will, and if you use the Ztool app there will be a drop down for you to choose which z-wave network your going to include or exclude from before you push the button. I have two z-nets and a usb stick (3 networks). All three show up in the drop down on the z-tool app for my phone.

EDIT:

This video here at around the 27 sec mark you will see in the video and he talks about more then one system what will happen and it shows the many he has in a rolling list.
                            http://www.homeseer.com/z-tool-mobile-app.html

Comment

Have run my home both ways and I don't see much difference in the functionality. Right now I have a primary Zee-S2 and a secondary inclusion Z-Net on the same home ID. The nodes do NOT stay in sync, however, and nothing I do seems to fix that. I am almost of the opinion that maybe running separate home IDs as 'zones' is a better solution after all since the secondaries don't stay in sync correctly.

Comment

Ok and just to clarify. My znet is up and running but I need time to fix all the names and events etc...I hate that part!

I ended up erasing my old znet so that will be added from scratch now. Do I just add it and then assign to a different network? I don't want to get all locked up the same home ID thing like I already did ;(
                                HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Working...
                                X