This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost ALL Devices....

So, I had a momentary power failure. Rare for me, but happens time to time. Unfortunately after this one ALL my insteon devices were gone! My insteon.ini file is empty. It only had default config info in it. Do I have a backup? Uh yea, from 12/2014! Shame on me....

Not sure if anything can be done, but would be nice to know why a power failure would wipe out all my devices. Any other tips on recovery?

Thanks.
    Chad.

sorry for the misfortune. hs3 manages the ini file, i just read and write to it. i think hs3 must cache the file and only write it to disk at certain times/conditions (not sure). I think someone else ran into this same issue once.

1. check your config folder for a recent insteon error report.log file. it will have the complete insteon.ini at the bottom. just copy and paste from the [config] line to the bottom back into the insteon.ini

2. you might consider using an undelete tool to see if you can recover a more recent version from the hd.

at a minimum you should have your hs server on a UPS with a insteon filterlinc.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks for the fast response. Yea, like my poor backup maintenance, my UPS battery could use a replacement. Can seem to find a version to 'undelete'. Overwriting pretty much wipes out files. The number of links in the device vs. what is in my back .ini are very different also. I guess the best course is to painfully put all the devices back in and re-wire all my events. Well what else do I have to do this weekend I guess...

Thanks again.

Comment

Question: If I plan on re-adding all devices manually, should I wipe out the PLM first? Would I use the "Reset and reprogram interface" command with the blank .ini file?

Comment

did you check for "insteon error report.log" files? i can't believe you don't have one more recent than 12/2014.

i would go ahead and use the backup insteon.ini. this will preserve the device definition that currently exist in hs which will save you work on your events.

you will need to restore your homeseer database as well since all the hs devices related to the plugin are probably gone now.

so, shutdown hs, restore the homeseer database, and restore the old insteon.ini and restart

you can reread the links for each device to update the ini from the device.

you will need to register any missing devices and fix the events
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by chadg View Post
            Question: If I plan on re-adding all devices manually, should I wipe out the PLM first? Would I use the "Reset and reprogram interface" command with the blank .ini file?
            don't worry about a reset. the plm will reuse the existing links.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by chadg View Post
              So, I had a momentary power failure. Rare for me, but happens time to time. Unfortunately after this one ALL my insteon devices were gone! My insteon.ini file is empty. It only had default config info in it. Do I have a backup? Uh yea, from 12/2014! Shame on me....

Not sure if anything can be done, but would be nice to know why a power failure would wipe out all my devices. Any other tips on recovery?

Thanks.
              Chad.
              Hi Chad,
              This has happened to me more than once and just happened again this morning. Very poor software management in my opinion. Homeseer should be able to handle a system crash without having to screw around with rebuilding your system. It didn't used to work this way. Oddly I only lose my Insteon units. My Z-Wave stuff continues to work happlily once I reload the backup config. VERY frustrating. Mark have you ever brought this up to the powers that be to see why this happens and why they don't fix it? Could it be something not just right in the interface between the plugin and HS?
              I've used just about every version of HS since 1.something and this never used to be a issue and it's getting old having to rebuild my system every time the computer locks up.

Comment

Originally posted by jonjonbear View Post
                Hi Chad,
                This has happened to me more than once and just happened again this morning. Very poor software management in my opinion. Homeseer should be able to handle a system crash without having to screw around with rebuilding your system. It didn't used to work this way. Oddly I only lose my Insteon units. My Z-Wave stuff continues to work happlily once I reload the backup config. VERY frustrating. Mark have you ever brought this up to the powers that be to see why this happens and why they don't fix it? Could it be something not just right in the interface between the plugin and HS?
                I've used just about every version of HS since 1.something and this never used to be a issue and it's getting old having to rebuild my system every time the computer locks up.
                i have an email into HST (rich) on the subject. I agree this is a real problem and expressed it as such. This was never a problem in HS2. I know hs3 manages ini differently.

if he can't provide a fix in hs3, i will add a backup feature for the ini in my plugin.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                  i have an email into HST (rich) on the subject. I agree this is a real problem and expressed it as such. This was never a problem in HS2. I know hs3 manages ini differently.

if he can't provide a fix in hs3, i will add a backup feature for the ini in my plugin.
                  Thanks Mark, that sounds great!

Cheers,

John

Comment

Originally posted by jonjonbear View Post
                    Thanks Mark, that sounds great!

Cheers,

John
                    any suggestions about a backup/archive routine would be appreciated:
                    - when should a backup file created (during shutdown, startup, automatically once a day)
                    - how many backups/archives? just one, or several
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                      any suggestions about a backup/archive routine would be appreciated:
                      - when should a backup file created (during shutdown, startup, automatically once a day)
                      - how many backups/archives? just one, or several
                      Definitely at shutdown, then perhaps once a day? I would say a weeks worth should be fine.
                      Would it be possible to have HS use the last backed up file when it starts?
                      Also perhaps a way to save manually just to make sure. I know, asking a lot! :-)

John

Comment

How about when a device is added or removed or links are changed? Maybe write to two alternating files?

Comment

chadg,
                          are you running hs3 as an Admin? i understand this is a requirement and can affect file management from hs3
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I am logged in as an admin user on the machine. I don't explicitly right click and say 'run as admin' usually. I think it does run as admin though.

As for Backup, I think every time a device is added/deleted or links updated would be good.

Comment

guys,
                              i'm working on archiving up to 5 copies of the insteon.ini. A new archive will be created after any transaction performed within the plugin; this should cover every change to the ini. With this setup, archiving at shutdown isn't necessary.

The plugin will continue to use the main insteon.ini file at startup.

if something goes wrong, you should be able restore a recent hs database and insteonX.ini archive to get things back to normal.

what do you think?
                              Last edited by mnsandler; March 8, 2016, 05:04 PM.
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X