Cannot open COM port....Access is denied,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot open COM port....Access is denied,

I'm trying to use Z-Flash for the first time on my HomeTroller S6.

NVM
    Last edited by kenflorian; October 14, 2017, 09:49 AM. Reason: doh

COM Port Access Denied

Brand new S6. I randomly get the access denied for COM2. Never COM1. Have tried switching Ocelot and Napco and error follows COM port. Looked through device settings and can' find anything different. Any suggestions on where to look?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonr2231 View Post
      Brand new S6. I randomly get the access denied for COM2. Never COM1. Have tried switching Ocelot and Napco and error follows COM port. Looked through device settings and can' find anything different. Any suggestions on where to look?
      Try this procedure: https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...1&postcount=14

Comment

Success

That worked. Thank you!!!!!

Comment

Google takes people (me) here - and the link to the fix doesn't work :-|

Comment

The referenced post was in the Hometroller S6 subforum, all of which content was lost during a forum upgrade.

What is the issue you are trying to solve?

Comment

Finally decided to buy Z-Flash today as the 50% sale made the price just right, and adoption of Z-Wave+ device usage will only increase on my network so Z-Flash will pay for itself quickly for not having to deal with individual hex/hec updates.

Of course the most obvious place to install the tool was on the HS3 controller itself as that is where the SmartStick+ is on.

Ran into "Cannon open COM port... Access denied" error, which did not bother me, as HS3 obviously was claiming ownership on it and I guess concurrent usage of a Z-Wave controller interface is a no-no. But because both tools are made by HomeSeer, why can't it be made aware of that to give a proper error of "Z-Wave USB controller on COM3 already in use by HomeSeer", and then ideally follow that up with a "Would you like to temporary take ownership?" or "Stop Z-Wave plugin within HS3 for Z-Flash to continue?".

Of course I can manually disable Z-Wave plugin in HS3, but process struck me as odd as for a second I thought I had selected wrong COM port or that app was broken. Or is the recommended procedure to use a second SmartStick+ to attach as secondary controller to the network for the firmware updates?

Comment

Working...
              X