Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mono4 upgrade Pi-3

hi -

I have a PI3, running Jesse and HS3 (debug below). Does anyone have the proper instructions to upgrade to mono4? I need it to run IFTTT properly. It seems from reading that i would need to re-create all my events (which is fine), is there any other concerns ?

Mono output:
    Code:
    # mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-10)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    	TLS:           __thread
    	SIGSEGV:       normal
    	Notifications: epoll
    	Architecture:  armel,vfp+hard
    	Disabled:      none
    	Misc:          softdebug
    	LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
    	GC:            sgen
    HS3 Help output:

Code:
    Current Date/Time: 3/21/2017 11:40:48 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.297
    Linux version: Linux raspberrypi 4.4.13-v7+ #894 SMP Mon Jun 13 13:13:27 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 10 Days 13 Hours 13 Minutes 30 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.99
    Number of Devices: 12
    Number of Events: 5
    Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    3.0.1.0: IFTTT
    1.0.16323.357: MyQ
    3.0.1.87: Z-Wave

Welcome to the Homeseer Forum dberg.

Best bet is to google upgrading Mono on Jessie.

The default package repository has a very old version of Mono, so you need to follow the instructions on the Mono site. Add the signing key and package repository to your system then run “sudo apt-get install mono-runtime”.

Personally do not know if it is better to remove old and install new or just upgrade old.

Here built a new RPi with Jessie on it and then installed Mono.

Here do not utilize IFTTT or MyQ plugins.

Default Ubuntu 16.XX mono installation is 4.X. Previously here was running HS3Pro on Ubuntu 14.XX with old 3.XX Mono.

I would personally shut down Homeseer and remove old Mono, purge it and delete any remnants of it then install Mono 4.X as documented on the Mono site, then do any adds required by HS3.

This is my RPi2 running Jessie.

:~# uname -a
    Linux 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

:~# cat /etc/debian_version

:~# cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
    NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
    VERSION_ID="8"
    VERSION="8 (jessie)"
    ID=raspbian
    ID_LIKE=debian

mono -V
    Mono JIT compiler version 4.8.0 (Stable 4.8.0.520/8f6d0f6 Wed Mar 15 16:18:12 UTC 2017)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. dub dub dub.mono-project.com
    TLS: __thread
    SIGSEGV: normal
    Notifications: epoll
    Architecture: armel,vfp+hard
    Disabled: none
    Misc: softdebug
    LLVM: supported, not enabled.
    GC: sgen
    Last edited by Pete; March 21, 2017, 01:24 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Personally I would start with a vanilla version of Raspbian Jessie (Lite or Full) and carry out the relevant updates. Obviously you will have backed your current HS3 config. From there I would install any additional packages you require. This will ensure that any broken or undesirable packages causing conflicts no longer remain on your install. It will make troubleshooting a lot simpler too.

As Peter advised, Google and in particular Google posts relevant to Raspberry Pi and Rasppbian as each Linux flavour has its own peculiarities.

Comment

I agree with Peter relating to said endeavor.

Homeseer 3 is just a directory that you should have backed up.

I had issues originally here with Ubuntu 14.04 Mono 3.XX upgrading to Mono 4.XX.

Here upgraded the RPi2 that was running Wheezy and Mono 3.X to Jessie lite with Mono 4.x. It was a new build from scratch on a new SD card.

It was much faster to do this than to remove Mono 3.X on the Ubuntu 14.04 build and then install Mono 4.X.

I was able to remove 3.XX but it was a real PITA to do this on Ubuntu 14.04.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

mono4 upgrade Pi-3

Agreed with the above. the root problem is that the RPI foundation's mono distro is stuck at mono 3.2.8. you would need to point directly to the mono-project.org distros for access to the latest mono versions. thankfully this is pretty straight forward and mono-project.org has a good guide.
          http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...install/linux/

I used the Ubuntu distribution for mono. the steps I followed are:
          1. Make a backup,
          A. First of your HS3 program directory
          B. Take an image of your entire Linux OS as is
          2. stop HS3,
          3. add the Ubuntu key and enumerate the location for mono updates

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

note the above will allow you to upgrade to the latest version of mono (4.8 as of this post). If you want to stick to a specific version of mono (I think Rich said that they run 4 on their rpi distros) you would have to program the the echo to:

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian snapshots/4.0.0 main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

making sure that the version number matches the snapshots kept by mono-project.org. the snapshots for distro stores are here: http://download.mono-project.com/rep...ezy/snapshots/

4. run an update/upgrade on your Linux OS.

sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get upgrade

5. update Mono to the latest version.
          sudo apt-get install mono-complete

6. You may need to run the autoremove command to get rid of any erroneous rpi foundation mono 3.2.8 applets that are no longer needed as dependencies.
          sudo apt-get autoremove

7. ensure that you install any other mono options

sudo apt-get install ca-certificates-mono
          sudo apt-get install mono-xsp4

8. in order for the new features to become available I did have to reboot the system:
          sudo reboot

I had to play with mono 4.x and found it is a little faster than 3.12.0 (which I am currently running). I did have the problem with all events losing their triggers which could be why it was so snappy navigating the different menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Kerat; March 21, 2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Or...

Just download current Zee-2 RPi3 Jessie image posted here at Homeseer with Mono 4.X and restore your back up of Homeseer 3 to your new box.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Well, there is that too...

Comment

Yup Homeseer 3 is just a directory whether it's Homeseer Standard, Homeseer Pro or Homeseer Zee_Lite
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks all (and for the welcome!)

I can easily backup the HS3 directory , not a problem. I need mono4 b/c it seems the IFTTT plugin needs it for the new DropBox APIs.

It also sounds like since i am running Mono3 , i will need to re-create all my events/triggers, which is not a big deal i only have half a dozen.

Appreciate the help everyone, will keep the group posted and also update if i hit any snags/workarounds that could be useful to the group.

Cheers

Comment

Just for record, since i upgraded successfully.

Following steps worked for me on raspberry pi 3 Jessie

1 - shutdown and backup homeseer

2 - echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

3 - sudo apt-get purge libmono* cli-common mono-runtime mono-devel

4 - sudo apt-get autoremove

5 - sudo apt-get update

6 - sudo apt-get install mono-runtime

7 - sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc libmono-system-web4.0.cil libmono-system-design4.0.cil libmono-system-web-extensions4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-caching4.0-cil libmono-system-numerics4.0-cil libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil mono-devel ca-certificates-mono mono-xsp4

8 - Start Homeseer

9 - Delete and re-create events

Worked perfectly !

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by dberg View Post
                      Just for record, since i upgraded successfully.

Following steps worked for me on raspberry pi 3 Jessie

1 - shutdown and backup homeseer

2 - echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

3 - sudo apt-get purge libmono* cli-common mono-runtime mono-devel

4 - sudo apt-get autoremove

5 - sudo apt-get update

6 - sudo apt-get install mono-runtime

7 - sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc libmono-system-web4.0.cil libmono-system-design4.0.cil libmono-system-web-extensions4.0-cil libmono-system-runtime-caching4.0-cil libmono-system-numerics4.0-cil libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil mono-devel ca-certificates-mono mono-xsp4

8 - Start Homeseer

9 - Delete and re-create events

Worked perfectly !

Thanks all.
                      Yay, glad you got it working!!!

Comment

Now that a working solution for Raspberry Pi users has been found maybe a sticky How-to in the Raspberry Pi section should be created. This sticky should include installation from a base Raspbian Jessie install right up to the latest working version of HS3 and also include version update instructions where necessary.

It would save both new and current users searching through pages of posts and encourage potential new users to take the plunge and make the switch.

Comment

I think that is worthwhile too, but the guide should also note that users could download and install the zee image and then paste the HS3 for Linux std/pro install over the old directory.

Comment

Kerat, Your recommendation about installing the Zee image and then doing an "Install" of the Full Linux version of HS3 on top of the homeseer directory is VERY intriguing to me. I have been reading these boards for weeks and never heard about that approach before. Could you direct me to an appropriate place in the forum where I could find details about that method? I am not much of a Linux guru... but have used the old HS2 for many many years and would like to move to HS3. I have the Zee S2V2 image installed and have converted all of my events to work on the Pi-3, but I'm not sure that I want to pay for the image version and then find that I have to buy the FULL version to do what I want. I would like to try your method while still in the "Trial" period. JR

Comment

Originally posted by maccpl View Post
                              Kerat, Your recommendation about installing the Zee image and then doing an "Install" of the Full Linux version of HS3 on top of the homeseer directory is VERY intriguing to me.
                              Me, too!

My SD card died and my computer that has my Pi3 .img is down. I'd love to be able to use the system they provided and install HS3Pro on it so I can get back up and running again.

Unfortunately, I'm in the "I forget what I know about linux until a Pi project comes up" boat and despite my notes from last time, I'm still dead in the water if one step of the instructions changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X