New HS3 user IR control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New HS3 user IR control

Hi, I have my HS3 up and running, and have my Denon Receiver playing ball as well. How do I operate the TV? It's a Samsung, and I assume the old control 4 system is communicating with it over IR. Do I need a IR box or something? I see some headphone looking ports on the HS3, I assumed it was for a Mic. It could be IR though. I don't recall seeing anything stating what all the ports are for. Why two Ethernets for example? Any help would be appreciated.

For IR you'll need some add-on hardware like the Global Cache products and the associated software plugin. See https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/infrared-control.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
      Hi, I have my HS3 up and running, and have my Denon Receiver playing ball as well. How do I operate the TV? It's a Samsung, and I assume the old control 4 system is communicating with it over IR. Do I need a IR box or something? I see some headphone looking ports on the HS3, I assumed it was for a Mic. It could be IR though. I don't recall seeing anything stating what all the ports are for. Why two Ethernets for example? Any help would be appreciated.
      Hi
      I've installed several of the Global Cache devices which allow you to attach several IR emitters to your A/V equipment to control them through a plugin that you have to install in your homeseer server, the global cache device connects to homeseer through Ethernet. It works really well for the installs that I've done. The plugin has the ability to download the IR codes needed to operate your Sammy TV the Denon and your Sat/Cable box.

As for as the back of your homeseer controller it sounds like your describing the S6 which has headphone/mic jacks and two Ethernet ports on the rear.
      Why there are two I'm not sure, but I did find that the lower port is a gig port and the upper port is 100mb Ethernet.

Good luck and welcome to the Homeseer forum!
      Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
      | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
      Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
      BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

You're right, the two ports were Headset and Mic ports.

I see the Global Cache GC-100-6 which transmits the IR from Homeseer. I'm swapping over from Control4, and it had a remote that broadcasted RF to the control4 box, and it then sent out IR to everything behind the cabinet. Is there a RF Receiver for Homeseer? I keep seeing where people are using the Harmony remotes with the Bridges, which are RF, but I'm shying away from Harmony because there's something about not being fully integrated with Homeseer, and they have to be integrated as a secondary controller or something.
        So, how do I get Voice Commands Operational? I could do without a remote for a while if I could get voice commands to work and do simple "watch TV", "Play Xbox" to work. That would actually be really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
          You're right, the two ports were Headset and Mic ports.

I see the Global Cache GC-100-6 which transmits the IR from Homeseer. I'm swapping over from Control4, and it had a remote that broadcasted RF to the control4 box, and it then sent out IR to everything behind the cabinet. Is there a RF Receiver for Homeseer? I keep seeing where people are using the Harmony remotes with the Bridges, which are RF, but I'm shying away from Harmony because there's something about not being fully integrated with Homeseer, and they have to be integrated as a secondary controller or something.
          So, how do I get Voice Commands Operational? I could do without a remote for a while if I could get voice commands to work and do simple "watch TV", "Play Xbox" to work. That would actually be really cool.
          I use Harmony Hubs in the Living Rm. and Bedroom and they have been working 100%. I have an Ultimate remote and Simple remote. Most of the time the remotes are used however once in a while HSTouch is used to start an activity, adjust volume or change channels. True, the Harmony plugin is not official and could 'break' with a Hub software update but that has not happened yet (latest Hub software).

The plugin itself can be a little quirky when making configuration changes -- usually resolved with a rescan/restart, otherwise it has never failed !!! The Hub IR Blasters are plenty strong and you can add more if required. I am even feeding a cheap Monoprice IR repeater system directly with one of the outputs. I find the Harmony Ultimate remote to be almost perfect (function wise, not ergonomically). The commands issued with HomeSeer are a little slower than with the remote but not by much. The Harmony on sale plus the cost of the plugin is a relatively cheap, good setup. My view is for as long as it works I have a good remote and HomeSeer integration, if the plugin breaks permanently some day I still have a good remote and can always go iTach. I control TV, DVR, Blu-ray, Roku, A/V Receiver and Draperies (IR) all with the Harmony Hub and HomeSeer.

Control4/Savant/Elan have integrated remotes however that is a different story and not hobbyist oriented like HomeSeer.
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X