Advice on moving to this plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on moving to this plugin

I am thinking of adding this plugin to my setup.

I use a lot of zwave right now and use a Z-Net which I placed in the middle of my house to allow better Mesh networking. My HS3 server is in a wiring closet in one end of the house in the basement. My Zigbee devices are currently being managed by a wink hub that is in the middle of the house. All of the devices are at the opposite end of the HS3 server.

Am I right in assuming the Raspbee + Conbee would give me the best flexibility as I could put the unit wherever ethernet exists? Thanks.

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
    I am thinking of adding this plugin to my setup.

I use a lot of zwave right now and use a Z-Net which I placed in the middle of my house to allow better Mesh networking. My HS3 server is in a wiring closet in one end of the house in the basement. My Zigbee devices are currently being managed by a wink hub that is in the middle of the house. All of the devices are at the opposite end of the HS3 server.

Am I right in assuming the Raspbee + Conbee would give me the best flexibility as I could put the unit wherever ethernet exists? Thanks.
    The conbee connects to your pc through usb. I am not sure about the raspbee, I don't have one. I suppose there is probably a ethernet to usb converter somewhere you can use but I don't have one so I can't answer that one either.

Comment

The raspbee is a stand-alone PC so I assumed it would simply plug into the ethernet and run the deConz software.

Then the plug-in would talk to the Raspbee running the deConz software across the network via IP address Therefore I could place the raspbee in the best location for zigbee communication.

Comment

Simonmason,

I think both the Philips bridge and the Raspbeee would be good candidates for you to use. Advantage of using the Raspbee is that you can use a lot more different brands of sensors and bulbs. As such deCONZ is more flexible for your choices I guess.
        Also reponse to sensors is direct wih the plugin for the raspBee (deCONZ). Philips is just stable and not in beta, what the raspbee has been for a year now. But also very stable so far....

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Am I right in assuming that I can place the raspbee anywhere in the house to improve radio reception with signee devices? It does not need to be tethered to my homeseer system via USB? Thanks.

Comment

The Raspbee is an addon board for Raspberry Pi. I think they sell a bundle that includes the RPi, but I built my own with an RPi3 and the Raspbee board. They supply the RPi image, so there isn't much to do except write the image to an SD card and plug it in. An RPi can be connected either WiFi or Ethernet. I chose Ethernet. I have two of them, one is mostly for testing. My base HS3 system is Linux, but it shouldn't matter. I actually manage the Raspbees from a Windows desktop. You will need remote desktop software, I use VNC. Technically it can be run headless via SSH, but the GUI makes monitoring the network and devices much easier. It does require a minimal knowledge of Linux to manage. Software updates are done from the Linux command line, for example.

Comment

Thanks - that is helpful. One last question - is there a comprehensive thread that covers devices that are supported. I found one but it seemed to be limited to a few manufacturers. Is it safe to assume that in theory any zigbee device should work with this? For example, I use the Hampton Bay ceiling fan controller - would I expect that to work? Thanks.

Comment

Simonmason,

No, the support on deCONZ is valid for all lights that support Zigbee 3.0 / HA 1.2. Most if not all should work as is this way.
                For remotes, plugs and sensors extra effort from the developers could be needed, again if supporting Zigbee 3.0/HA 1.2. Request for these devices should be done on their github site with the cluster info from deCONZ. They have to make it available to the REST API. If they did this most sensors published this way should show up in the plugin, or sometimes I have to perform some updates to make it work.

As far I can tell the remote you mention is not known yet sadly.

Thanks,

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
                X