Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is interested: Rs232 port RFXCOM compatible transceiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Automated View Post
    I have a RFXLan from earlier as well. The problem is that it does not support as many devices as the newer USB models. You can use a device such as you tried, to put the device on the network, but the truth is that they will never work as smoothly as direct serial, because they are more complex. What I have done is tap the board at a point of TTL signaling, disconnected the internal USB chip, and instead soldered in a TTL to serial chip. This comes to a jack on the side, just because a jack is easier to drill a hole for than a 9 pin dsub. The cable that I use externally is purely the two connectors and wire. As the internal USB works are disconnected, I add my own power supply inputs as well. I have a row of interfaces running on 5volts, so I left it set up to accept 5v, but added over voltage protection, in case I accidentally plug in 12v. If someone would prefer a 12v jack, it's easy enough to put as small regulator inside.

This solution is not for everyone, but if you have many serial server connected interfaces, and use a lot of virtualization, then you may well be interested. There are a handful of ways to deal with USB devices and virtualization. I find this way to be the most robust for home automation.
    Thanks for sharing how you did it. Very professional! I admire the consistently high quality of your work (both here and on other threads).

Comment

Thanks NeverDie! I try to make it nice where I can. I tend to either throw things together or go the other extreme and make it show worthy. Lately, I have been redoing some of my structured wiring panels that were just thrown together to make them "pretty," as well as making improvements like consolidating power sources and doing away with wall warts where possible. Very time consuming I must say!

Comment

I'd be interested in one of these. After the modification can the firmware still be updated?
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Yes, it still updates just fine through the new serial port. I just now tested it to be sure, and attached the screen shot of the completion.

It seems that we can do this. If a few more persons chime in as interested, then I think I can make the transceiver bulk purchase without worry that I will sit on too many for too long.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
            Yes, it still updates just fine through the new serial port. I just now tested it to be sure, and attached the screen shot of the completion.

It seems that we can do this. If a few more persons chime in as interested, then I think I can make the transceiver bulk purchase without worry that I will sit on too many for too long.
            Great, I'm definitely in then.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I now have a lot of the db9 to 3.5mm stereo plug (for the serial port connection) "in stock." A lot of 2.1mm power connectors, chassis mount, and for the external cabling also arrived.

I also did score a handful of the high end coax assemblies. There are a limited number of those, so I will probably include them free for the first people that get one as an incentive.

I have a number of projects ongoing that can use various antennas, so I ordered an assortment of antenna options: "rubber duck," dipole, and magnet mount. It will probably take those a month to get here or something. Anyway, it will allow that you can choose which kind of antenna to include (once they arrive anyway), if someone wanted a better antenna than what the transceivers come with.

I will post some pictures of the accessories later, when I get a chance.

I am still mulling over the size of order to make for the original transceivers, and should I get some of the 315mhz transceivers as well (x-10). The 315mhz ones seem less important to me, since there are already serial interface options out there for those (w800 for example).

Comment

I have now made a bulk order for the transceivers. The last time I made an order, it seemed like it took 3 or 4 weeks to get them. Hopefully it will not be any slower this time. Once they arrive, I will begin bench and break-in testing them for any problems. After some days of that, I will begin assembling the cases with transceiver, power supply wiring/circuits, and serial converter. When the first ones are ready, I will list them in the for sale section with a new post, and also ping back to this thread.

Comment

Re: Who is interested: Rs232 port RFXCOM compatible transceiver?

Here are pictures of the serial cables and the coax extensions that I got.

I will include in the earlier estimated price a coax extension and barrel or bulkhead (for an L-bracket for mounting on wood in the attic) connector to the first 6 people who want to secure their position with me in advance. Please PM me and I will be in contact. I was only able to get 8 of them, and needed a few for myself. These are really nice cables and will make one less accessory you need to obtain first if you are wanting to locate the antenna away from the transceiver. The cable is about 6 feet or 2 meters long with male SMA ends.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I received shipping confirmation for the transceivers today. The only pieces left to order are some more ttl to serial ICs and cases.

I will post some pictures later with cases next to some common items and measurements so that everyone can decide which case they want. It would appear that I can fit the electronics in either case, the one in post 2 or post 5.
                    Last edited by Automated; June 12, 2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

The transceivers are now at the border. They will probably take another week or two to clear and arrive.

Comment

How many folks did you get on your list Automated?
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A handful. I would have preferred more before ordering, but what the heck. It's a hobby after all, and as I stated early on, this is not a money making venture. If I need to unload extras on eBay, then I should break even. I'm not too worried about it.

It's nice to run this off my Moxa serial server, along with other interfaces.

I just received the small variety of antennas I had posted about. I will post some pictures later.

Comment

In am trying to justify it in my head; like you write; its a hobby.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

In my experience interfaces run much stable and efficiently via serial port without any USB in between, even compared to a USB network hub when running HS virtualized. I have seen others interested in virtualization with HS, so wanted to share the approach. No other reason really. I am heavy into the RF aspects of the hobby; always have been. For users who are happy to just hang the interface off a USB port, they would not see the justification for sure.

On a related note, I have done a similar thing with RFID, the other radio box in one of my pictures. The serial port it came with is not proper to the RS232 specification, and is why there were so many people who had trouble getting the CheaperRFID receivers to work on some serial ports. I put all of mine (4 so far) in a nice case, and added a proper serial interface. They all sit on a serial server as well now, but they would not do so before. It works great, halting the irrigation if the lawn mower is out of the garage, alerting if the trash cans are not out yet on trash day, alerting us when the trash has been picked up (ruggedized tags with tilt sensors), and a handful of other neat things.
                              Last edited by Automated; May 16, 2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

The transceivers are here! Here are some of the pictures promised. In some of the pictures, you can see one of the RFXcom transceivers, together with its included rubber duck antenna (the short one).

I will let whoever wants these choose from 1 of the 4 antennas, as long as I have them.

-Center loaded magnet mount (one with the coil in the middle)
                                -Straight magnet mount
                                -Dipole
                                -Rubber Duck (note these have a small crack at the base; the entire lot of them I received have the crack. However, it is not part of the electrical portion of the antenna, and does not affect operation. I will be cutting small loops of heat shrink with internal adhesive to shrink over the base, just to be sure they stay secured).

The early takers will get one of the extra blue cable assemblies, along with a right angle mounting bracket and bulkhead female to female adapter (a good partner for the rubber duck, if attic mounting, see the picture with one assembled).

I included in some pictures a Leviton mounting bracket. These are used for mounting all kinds of devices in structured wiring cabinets. The g106 case will look and mount nicely on one, and so is here for visual reference.

Now I need to start break-in/checking the transceivers.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X