Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisit of RGB LEDs, DMX, and ARTNET

Hello Everyone!

There's been many good discussions over the years about HomeSeer and RGB fixtures/strings, DMX, and yes, even ARTNET (just once!). I think it may be time to revisit this since the cost of everything involved has come done significantly within reach of everyone, and the related technology has matured. The way I see it now, it's all how you choose to put it together.

With that, I wanted to come out of the woodwork and share my vision and direction for lighting at home.

One cannot deny the potential energy savings a home automation system can generate. Care has to be taken to not offset the savings gained by using a computer that's a power hog. I use a low power ATOM Nettop which costs only about $20/year to operate. I can't speak to the capabilities of the new HomeTroller Zee, but power wise, it sure can't be beat. Pi's are pretty amazing things, more on that later...

LED lighting provides low power, long life and many flexible form factors. My home lighting strategy includes plenty of them. I'll be installing 30 or so LED Down Lights and RGB LED tape spattered around. The down lights aren't you're typical local hardware store variety. They're RGB and they're powered directly from 12v DC and controlled by HomeSeer. Imagine dialing in any color room by room and saving power at the same time! I'll power them from a central 12v "plant": a 360 watt DC power supply, a deep cycle battery/charger, and a transfer switch to fail over to the battery during a power failure. Yes, full lighting during a power failure for a minimum of 24 hours. The lighting will be controlled by DMX, yes, more on that later...

It's "later" time. I've already come up with a flexible, yet simple hardware configuration for $60 - $85. That'll buy you an OLA/ARTNET server/DMX controller which can be configured in about an hour. I'm trying to vet the HomeSeer side now and certainly open to all comments, I do need help here. I'm using a Raspberry Pi ($35-60), OLA server (free), and a inexpensive USB DMX adapter ($25). I have the (very) basics working now. I can on/off web control an RGB LED fixture using a combination of a virtual device and an event which triggers on a status change that executes a script. I currently have two scripts/events for each device and little flexibility. I know there are better ways. Could this be something that can be added to HomeSeer Zee, yes I do believe it would be a perfect match?

Turn off:

Sub Main()

dim s

const SetUrl = "http://192.168.1.179:9090/set_dmx"

const headers="Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

s = hs.URLAction(SetUrl,"POST","u=1&d=0,0,0",headers)

End Sub

Turn On:

Sub Main()

dim s

const SetUrl = "http://192.168.1.179:9090/set_dmx"

const headers="Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

s = hs.URLAction(SetUrl,"POST","u=1&d=255,255,255",headers)

End Sub

The "u=1" sets the Universe #. ARTNET can support up to 32768 universes of 512 devices each, certainly no scalability issues there. The "d=" is a CSV list of the 512 channel levels, starting at channel 1. Pretty simple, huh?

The server can also be queried for current status of lighting levels, here's a script to log the output:

Sub Main()

dim g

const GetUrl = "http://192.168.1.179:9090/get_dmx?u=1"

g = hs.URLAction(GetUrl,"GET","","")

hs.writelog "DMX Values", g

End Sub

Returns a somewhat easy to parse line:

{
    "dmx": [255,255,255,0,0, ...and on for 512 CSV colums total... 0,0,0],
    "error": ""
    }

My design grey areas are:

* Creating a script or plug-in to control many devices. Have each device specify a start address and three channel values and pass that info to a parser which sends the correct HTTP POST. This is tricky as the script/plug-in will need to track the current values of all channels as to not overwrite them. This could be done by doing a GET first to obtain the current levels.

* creating a custom lighting device that has 8 programmable preset buttons, perhaps: R,G,B,C,M,Y,W,off (or custom colors)

* updating the device status on the devices web page. Do I have individual R/G/B indicators? Can I actually create a dynamic graphic that changes colors matching the actual output?

I'm doing this on HS2PRO. I'm really new to the HS scripting and have done only a little other scripting in the past. Any thought on whether this is a script or Plug-in? Is there a big demand for this? Is it worth making this open to everyone? is there volunteer help out there?

My hardware/software:

DMX Adapter: http://www.opendmx.net/index.php/OLA_Raspberry_Pi
    DMX dimmer: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-CH...072723125.html
    USB DMX: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMX51...145068190.html
    Downlight: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/9W-LE...025979986.html

I tried some basic DMX with HS but I limited myself to my own home built interface (an Arduino and RS485 transceiver), the process was however similar in that the Arduino accepted serial commands either by serial port or a simple TCP interface.

I have a plugin that I wrote for mine as I was purely interested in writing a plugin for it but the issue I had that you need to be careful of is how to handle simultaneous data being sent to it. Fortunately you are using a server that hopefully has measures in built to handle this but it is worth testing sending data at the same time from two different events just to see what happens. It should work right but mine had issues (which as I built the interface and the plugin is perhaps to be expected). In answer to your questions I would personally say;

1) You are edging into plugin territory IMHO, you want to periodically check the data is correct perhaps on a timer to prevent any other controllers (you might not have any but it could be a possibility) have not changed the levels. It should however be possible with some recurring events and scripts it just might look a little messier and not be straightforward to setup.

2) Certainly possible in a script, look at http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...pt_buttons.htm

3) You can create these no problems, look at http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...phic_pairs.htm

I was playing with the Value/Graphics pairs only a couple of weeks ago with DMX as you can assign a value pair for a particular gobo/colour just like in a show control application.

The big danger I see is that if you are going to offer a "DMX" plugin then you really should remain fixture-neutral or offer some ability to import fixtures into devices (that is going to get painful and difficult, fast) as people may not wish to have your specific RGB downlighters and if you start limiting yourself to devices that you have written it to support - it will be 30 seconds before someone asks you to support x/y/z fixture and if you have tied yourself down to buttons for specific settings on specific channels then this will end up a nightmare.

I can't really comment on if it is suitable for the Zee or not, certainly the stock Zee image you cannot run additional plugins on it so that is a non-starter for plugins you may want to write but I can't see why a script can't work on it.

As a starter you can always look at the sourcecode for the WifiRGB plugin I wrote, it's not the best but it is along similar lines to what you are doing it just sends TCP data in a different format.

Comment

Mr. Happy,

I've done some testing when it comes to simultaneous input. The server seems answers one at a time with no issues observed. I used two programs to push updates at the same time with good results.

I personally wanted to stay away from plug-ins as they add a layer of complexity which I frankly didn't want to invest the time to solve. My intent is to provide not so near real-time (10 secs) status and basic RGB controls using plain-jane RGB fixtures. No light shows, no PTZ, no smoke, there're dedicated platforms that do that well. Besides, you can use the Pi as an ARTNET controller (http://www.freestylerdmx.be/) for those situations.

The Device Script Buttons look very interesting. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on HS2PRO. Perhaps I should look to upgrade soon. I do understand the point of producing a product and encountering feature creep to support everything. Definitely not interested in that either. The beauty is I can avoid most of it, the OLA server is the interface driver, and that's already "handled" in the software. It supports out of the box: ARTNET, E1.31, ESP net, Entec, FTDI, Karatelight, KiNET, Milford, OSC, Pathport, Renard, SPI (on board, for pixels), Serial, USB, shownet, stageprofi, etc... In fact it can use all those simultaneously.

I guess I need to brush off my scripting skills and dig into creating devices and buttons in HS2.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelx View Post
        Mr. Happy,

I've done some testing when it comes to simultaneous input. The server seems answers one at a time with no issues observed. I used two programs to push updates at the same time with good results.

I personally wanted to stay away from plug-ins as they add a layer of complexity which I frankly didn't want to invest the time to solve. My intent is to provide not so near real-time (10 secs) status and basic RGB controls using plain-jane RGB fixtures. No light shows, no PTZ, no smoke, there're dedicated platforms that do that well. Besides, you can use the Pi as an ARTNET controller (http://www.freestylerdmx.be/) for those situations.

The Device Script Buttons look very interesting. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on HS2PRO. Perhaps I should look to upgrade soon. I do understand the point of producing a product and encountering feature creep to support everything. Definitely not interested in that either. The beauty is I can avoid most of it, the OLA server is the interface driver, and that's already "handled" in the software. It supports out of the box: ARTNET, E1.31, ESP net, Entec, FTDI, Karatelight, KiNET, Milford, OSC, Pathport, Renard, SPI (on board, for pixels), Serial, USB, shownet, stageprofi, etc... In fact it can use all those simultaneously.

I guess I need to brush off my scripting skills and dig into creating devices and buttons in HS2.
        I still use HS2 also so I know just as much there, the commands are slightly different but it is still possible, you can search the help file for hs.devicebuttonsadd (IIRC - not in front of the help file at the moment) and you can add buttons to a device that call a script. I would go so far as to say whilst I use HS2 and will carry on using it some things like this are going to be easier in HS3, the value/status pairs and the ability to put a things like sliders on the device page are a very welcome feature that you cannot do in HS2. There are probably more HS2 device creation examples on this board than HS3 ones really.

You are right on the thinking with plugins, after learning the hard way if you can avoid them, indeed that is HST's advice - only use them if you have to. If your device is handling the hard work then it makes sense to keep things simple on the HS side.

One thing to also consider is that your server seems to give a JSON reply, JSON support in VB.net scripts did not exist in the framework HS2 is compiled under so there is no native JSON support (I think anyway). You would need to find an alternative method to decode the data if you are interested in the replies.

Comment

I am also very interested in this, but am not very knowledgeable about Artnet, but the idea of Ethernet control of multiple lighting fixtures seems like a perfect fit for HomeSeer. sACN runs very well on a Raspberry Pi, with a lot of holiday light shows running FPP on a Pi. sACN also has a lot of flexibility in the rate of streaming so for simple architectural lighting control, you could cut the command rate down to the point it would have negligible impact on a network. For a full fledged sequenced holiday lighting show, you would probably want to set up a VLAN for lighting.

In my implementation, I would like to have pixel devices on 12 driveway lights, some yard floodlighting fixtures and possibly some wall wash elements that would be permanent and year round. Ideally the 12 pixels would be on a single output of a San Devices E6804 board and the rest could be oan a single DMX loop from another output of the same board. I also miht want to put a single "smart" strip of pixels on the fascia board just below the gutters on the entire front of the house. These also could be on outputs from E6804 boards. Ideally these would all be controlled from within HomeSeer on a year round basis, then could be included in sequencing effects if I wanted to do a more complex holiday "show".

As I see it there could be two logical approaches, the easiest being is to have a method of allowing events and the Device Manager to directly generate sACN command streams to network attached devices. An alternate would be a Pi tasked with generating sACN streams that could be addressed by HTTP from HS scripts or a plug-in.

The problem is I have enough knowledge to be dangerous,but lack the skills to go any further than having the idea. I am still digging.

I would be interested to learn more about your Pi implementation to see if it could be developed further to get closer to my goals. My idea of holiday light sequences may or may not ever come to fruition, but I would really like to be able to add a little color and level control to a number of lighting elements inside and outside my house.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'm going to write a e1.31 plugin. I'm just waiting on my HW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Originally posted by jrhubott View Post
              I'm going to write a e1.31 plugin. I'm just waiting on my HW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
              Cool, very cool. Let me know if I can help. I would be happy to work with you during the development. I have worked with a couple of other developers on plug-ins. PM me for an email address if you are interested.

I have three San Devices E6804 boards, pixels, pixel strips, DMX RGB PAR lamps, DMX floods and some DMX RGB LED driver boards. The San Devices boards support E1.31 Multicats or Unicast and can be configured to output a single DMX group from any f the four outputs.

On my wishlist would be either reduced or adjustable streaming rates to minimize network traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                I am also very interested in this, but am not very knowledgeable about Artnet, but the idea of Ethernet control of multiple lighting fixtures seems like a perfect fit for HomeSeer. sACN runs very well on a Raspberry Pi, with a lot of holiday light shows running FPP on a Pi. sACN also has a lot of flexibility in the rate of streaming so for simple architectural lighting control, you could cut the command rate down to the point it would have negligible impact on a network. For a full fledged sequenced holiday lighting show, you would probably want to set up a VLAN for lighting.

In my implementation, I would like to have pixel devices on 12 driveway lights, some yard floodlighting fixtures and possibly some wall wash elements that would be permanent and year round. Ideally the 12 pixels would be on a single output of a San Devices E6804 board and the rest could be oan a single DMX loop from another output of the same board. I also miht want to put a single "smart" strip of pixels on the fascia board just below the gutters on the entire front of the house. These also could be on outputs from E6804 boards. Ideally these would all be controlled from within HomeSeer on a year round basis, then could be included in sequencing effects if I wanted to do a more complex holiday "show".

As I see it there could be two logical approaches, the easiest being is to have a method of allowing events and the Device Manager to directly generate sACN command streams to network attached devices. An alternate would be a Pi tasked with generating sACN streams that could be addressed by HTTP from HS scripts or a plug-in.

The problem is I have enough knowledge to be dangerous,but lack the skills to go any further than having the idea. I am still digging.

I would be interested to learn more about your Pi implementation to see if it could be developed further to get closer to my goals. My idea of holiday light sequences may or may not ever come to fruition, but I would really like to be able to add a little color and level control to a number of lighting elements inside and outside my house.
                rprade,

Although I mention ARTnet, I'm not using it with Homeseer, it's there if you desire a light show in addition to your home control. I know nothing about sACN, it may be a good choice. I'd really like to see where you go with that, though.

I see the Pi and a $30 USB DMX interface as easy. DMX is widely available and low cost for the parts. I'll use a DMX/pixel adapter for my pixels even though the Pi can do it with the built in IO. My plans are still web driven control, it's easy to script and doesn't require learning anything other than how to use a JSON serializer/deserializer in a script.

I think our motives run parallel paths and may not intersect. My interest is the primary control of my primary interior lights. Something which requires low cycle rates and high reliability/simplicity. The wife must be able to turn a light on by herself, every time. The wife-force is a powerful one! Your's appear to control secondary/accent lighting which requires a much different control set and certainly are far more dynamic. They are close, but there are some important differences. I just don't see HS as a "real-time" platform or a creative base for lighting design. Controls and behaviors are just too rigid and structured in HS. There are good free lighting control software packages out there, why reinvent the wheel? Just my 2 cents.

Of course, someone out there is liable to make me a liar and eat my words.

Unfortunately, I've slowed down the already slow (and poor) script development. I recently purchase HS3 so I can use JSON. I was writing parsing scripts before, now those are unnecessary. Back to square one, I think. Of course I still need to install HS3 to use it. Once the system is stable I'll dive back in.

jrhubott,

It's great to see someone putting programming assistance into the LED lighting question. I'm sure there's a big demand out there yet to be, ah-hem, illuminated.

The OLA/PI can also do sACn in, so if you need another tester, let me know.

-Alex

Comment

I'm chiming in here, I just started a project I'm calling "Christmas Lights 2015", and I've ordered the almost exact same setup as Aelx. Thanks for the tip on the downlights, if only they were waterproof...

However, I decided to skip the Raspberry Pi, and go for a full ArtNet controller instead. It's a DMXking eDMX4 (with screw terminals).

My first idea is to try to make automate my christmas lights a little bit more (and cooler) than it is now. HomeSeer is awesome, but I don't see myself scripting or creating enough events to sync lights to music, so I'm looking at QLC+ if nobody has a better suggestion.

But since I already have the hardware the other 11 months, I'd also love to control DMX over ArtNet directly from HS. I'm thinking two or three options:

1) A MIDI plugin. I've been wanting to make this for years, because it means I could map a physical dimmer to my motorized mixer (a simple Behringer BCF2000, but it does the job). Most DMX controller software also support MIDI-input, so I could control another software from HS that way.

2) A ArtNetx plugin. ArtNet does not seem to be very hard, so it would just be a matter of making a plugin that'll handle the connection and devices.

3) A QLC+ plugin, as it already has a HTTP api. That way I don't have to worry too much about doing something the controller can't do, and one can make fancy lighting effects also from within HomeSeer.

If I'm making a plugin, it's HS3. I've upgraded and I'm not looking back.
                  HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                  Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                  on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                  WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Moskus,

Maybe you should call it "Christmas Northern Lights 2015"

It appears we're following a very similar path. BTW, the down lights are aluminum and have a full lens, I plan on putting them outside in the porch, protected from direct rain (know as a "damp location"). What's the worse can happen?

I really like the eDMX4 controller. Nothing beats a purpose built component for reliability and ease, I may get one too. Another lighting package I've seen is Freestyler www.freestylerdmx.be. I've only glanced at it, it looks capable. There are so many good choices out there! It's about time!

About your options, here's the thinking I went through when I went down that path:

1. MIDI doesn't fit in to my plans. I don't need to control Homeseer to control the lights because the OLA/Pi handles multiple simultaneous controllers. With that in mind I see the QLC+ is also very much from the same seed. I'll check that out, too.

2. Artnet and sACN appear to be very close, I guess one's decision will be based on what you have on hand or what the actual component costs are. Mr.Happy advised against a plug-in (above) because of the lack of flexibility. I have no experience with it but I do see where a plug-in is what a plug-in is, and scripting is accessible to all to modify. Each fixture type/channel count would have to be hard coded. Not a problem if you keep it simple, just 1, 3, or 4 channel fixtures. Personally, I see that covering most home lighting projects.

3. HTTP is easy to do from Homeseer in a script. I've also created a script which creates a custom fixture type with buttons for R/G/B/C/M/Y/W which calls a script for the actions. Although it is not finished, each fixture will have a starting address, dim level, and number of channels which is passed to the script to execute. The script will first do a HTTP/GET and pull the 255 current channel values from the OLA server and build a CSV string. Then it will modify the specific channel(s) and post it back to the server and then updates the button status in Homeseer, all 255 channels. So it "polls" for status of all 255 channels every time a fixture is turned on/off/dimmed and polled periodically by a timer to update when a secondary controller is active (like a console, QLC+, or Freestyler).

I don't discourage a Plug-in, I do believe it is definitely a good choice, just not by me though. I can help with the design or testing if you need. On a side note, OLA has a Python and C++ API.

-Alex

Comment

I think we are all talking about the same thing. Since DMX is a subset of sACN I think we all want to use DMX or something similar for year round control of some permanent lighting fixtures. DMX is limited to a total of 170 pixels which should be enough.

Then the DMX could be "handed off" to another sequencing software if you wanted to incorporate some of these DMX channels into a "show". Because the "s" in sACN stands for streaming, it has the potential for a lot of network traffic, but it also gets you past the 170 pixel threshold. It is my understanding that Artnet does the same, but with less network overhead. sACN has enough flexibility to run at a much reduced data rate for architectural lighting controls or ramped up for the faster "show" sequencing. The reason sACN appeals to me is the possibility of devoting a single controller on the network to year round lighting, then simply discontinuing HomeSeer control and engaging Vixen, FPP or some other sequencing software for holiday lighting. I had thoughts of a single pixel strip at the bottom of my roof fascia strip across the entire front of my house. I might want to have it glow a cool white during the year, then control pixels or groups of pixels for holiday lighting. That single element would consume more channels than a single DMX channel would support.

Comment

Randy,

Yea, we're on the same page. Check out Moskus's eDMX4 controller, 4 universes, lots of pixels and speaks ArtNET and sACN.

jrhubott and Moskus,

Judging from past projects, you both have the ability to make this work. I'm sure it will be a race to the finish. I think I speak for everyone here, we look forward to hearing about your progress. Also, I'm sure you have all the help you need to test it right here (and share!). Thanks! There was so little discussion about DMX on the boards, glad to see there are more people out there.

-Alex

Comment

I've looked a little bit into Freestyler as well, looks also very capable. I'm starting to feel like I did when I started with home automation:

A bit overwhelmed by all the choices I have to make.

Freestyler also looks like it can handle everything I really want without any problems. It also has Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps which might come in handy.

And I'm also a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff I have to learn. Example: How do I create cool effects with an addressable LED strip? Or how do I use an addressable LED strip in "matrix mode"? I know it's possible, but don't know how it works. Yet.

rprade or Aelx, you guys know this?
                          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                            I've looked a little bit into Freestyler as well, looks also very capable. I'm starting to feel like I did when I started with home automation:

A bit overwhelmed by all the choices I have to make.

Freestyler also looks like it can handle everything I really want without any problems. It also has Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 apps which might come in handy.

And I'm also a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff I have to learn. Example: How do I create cool effects with an addressable LED strip? Or how do I use an addressable LED strip in "matrix mode"? I know it's possible, but don't know how it works. Yet.

rprade or Aelx, you guys know this?
                            I'm exactly where you are - overwhelmed by the capabilities, but facing a steep learning curve. There are a lot of sequencing packages, I know I've looked at more than 10. Of all of the packages I looked at, so far Vixen 3 appeals to me the most because it is free and specifically written for holiday lighting sequences. It allows you to set up a preview with a picture of your home as a background. They have their own forum on www.doityourselfchristmas.com. With that said, my primary goal is to be able to control some permanent architectural lighting effects on a year round basis, the sequencing and other effects are a potential secondary goal.

Just one example would be: I currently have 12 tier lights, 6 on each side of the driveway. They have 12 volt LEDs in them. They have cool white LEDs in them year round and we switch them for red and green LEDs for Christmas. I control all of them with a Z-Wave switched outlet. I would like to make each of the lights a pixel, allowing me to set the color and brightness of each light individually, controlled by HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              Just one example would be: I currently have 12 tier lights, 6 on each side of the driveway. They have 12 volt LEDs in them. They have cool white LEDs in them year round and we switch them for red and green LEDs for Christmas. I control all of them with a Z-Wave switched outlet. I would like to make each of the lights a pixel, allowing me to set the color and brightness of each light individually, controlled by HomeSeer.
                              I don't know much about this stuff yet, I haven't had the time to read enough yet. But this should be fairly easy, even with a script.

Comment

Working...
                              X