GE Jasco Fan Control Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE Jasco Fan Control Switch

I purchased one of these GE Jasco Fan Switches, it's supposed to have 3 speed settings Low, Med and High. Or so I thought. It shows up as a Dimmer. Is there a setting somewhere that needs changed, or is this an incompatibility issue? Or is this an issue on GE's side? Ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTKQTTV

That's how they show up. If you set dim value in a certain range, the switch will set the appropriate low, medium or high speed. The Leviton's work the same.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

ok, next issue is that the fan will not work on any dim level. It's either on full blast, or barely on. When you set a dim level, it turns on full blast, but then it turns down to the idle speed. I'm trying to control this Vortex inline fan.
      I do note that the switch is rated at 1.3 amps, and the fan is rated at 1.9. I figure it will still work being that i'm planning on only using it at 50% or less.
      Is the fan pulling 1.9 amps at 50% power?
      http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...SABEgKKD_D_BwE

Comment

So the switch would not work on my hvac booster fan, but it is working correctly on my ceiling fan. I figured out how to change the operational ranges to only 3 settings. So now that I know how to reconfigure a dimmer in software, why couldn't a homeseer dimmer control the fan? I would then have the scene controls. Why is this switch marketed as a fan control but it operates and only has an amp rating of 3.6 amps. The homeseer dimmer is rated at 600 watts which converts to 5 amps. I don't get it. What makes a dimmer compatible with fan motors?

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
          So the switch would not work on my hvac booster fan, but it is working correctly on my ceiling fan. I figured out how to change the operational ranges to only 3 settings. So now that I know how to reconfigure a dimmer in software, why couldn't a homeseer dimmer control the fan? I would then have the scene controls. Why is this switch marketed as a fan control but it operates and only has an amp rating of 3.6 amps. The homeseer dimmer is rated at 600 watts which converts to 5 amps. I don't get it. What makes a dimmer compatible with fan motors?
          Dimmers aren't made to take the load of a motor. I don't know the details (not smart enough for electronics in that depth), but I do know in general, they can't handle the load without heating up which could cause a fire I would imagine.

The GE fan switch kinda gives you a false sense that this should work since its displayed as a dimmer, though the inners of the switch is not a dimmer. I am not sure if its GE or HS where the break is (I would suspect GE) on how its presented, but I have been using them with the weird dimmer workaround for years without issue.

One thing I have noticed with the GE fan switches, when you first turn it on at any setting, I think it gives a boast of electricity initially to get it up to speed quicker (I can hear the whine in the motor when it first starts up). Also on my fans that I don't have automated yet, I don't see this, so I think its a feature that I actually really like.

Comment

Working...
          X